Study Of 1996 On Very Effective Herbal Treatment

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently my eye fell on this study with remarkable results:

After 40 weeks of treatment, the mean total hair count increased by 77% in the active group compared to a 3% increase in the placebo group (P = 0.003). The number of non-vellus hairs in a 0.433 cm2 area increased by 169% for the active group compared to 33% for the placebo group (P = 0.01). In the active group, 90% of the subjects showed an increase of more than 35% in non-vellus hair count compared with only 33% of the placebo group (P < 0.05), and 60% of the active group had excellent results (100% increase in non-vellus hair count) compared with only 8% of the placebo group (P < 0.05).

Not a gigantic group of participants, but noteworthy nonetheless. Does anyone have any clue which product this is?

Study: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/09546639609086878?journalCode=ijdt20

whoken

Reaction score
Active ingredient list:

Deionized water, Extracts of: a proprietary combination of natural herbs (Phydermanol TM), Mastic Extract, Dioctyl Adipate, Octyl Stearate, Octyl Palmitate, Carbomer 1342, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Spearmint, Palmarosa.

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
That's amazing, thanks! Didn't anyone ever try it? This study seems so promising.
sometimes the very makers of these products fund studies that show that their products works. there is even a published study on Viviscal that says its effective in treating hair loss, yet we all know its another snake oil

i did a punned study and couldnt find anything about hibiscus having any effect on hair loss, in fact, it said that fennel is used an an ant-hirsutism treatment, which means its decreases hair thickness.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
sometimes the very makers of these products fund studies that show that their products works. there is even a published study on Viviscal that says its effective in treating hair loss, yet we all know its another snake oil

i did a punned study and couldnt find anything about hibiscus having any effect on hair loss, in fact, it said that fennel is used an an ant-hirsutism treatment, which means its decreases hair thickness.

I agree with the funded studies, though I couldn't find anything about this particular product funding studies.

That being said, hirsutism in women is caused by too much androgens. So apparently it has some potential as an anti-androgen, hence an Androgenetic Alopecia beneficial component.

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
i mean, i dont know what to really think of it....like if it was so good, why isn't on the shelf of your pharmacy.
like diazoxide was an alternative medication that works in a similar way to minoxidil, that was suppose to be the "new minoxidil" according to a study, yet no one has ever heard of it, and its not available in the market as a hair loss drug. maybe it caused side effects and couldn't get fda approval

whoken

Reaction score
I'm gonna play guinea pig on this one. For some reasons I'm intrigued enough and wasn't doing anything for my hair anyway.

I've just received a bottle of the lotion three days ago.
viewer.php
548813rsz1rszimg20170510222846hdr1.jpg

I've taken clear pictures of my scalp baseline, and will update six months from now with the results or, lack of. I think six months is a fair amount of time to judge the value of the product, if I feel like it I will eventually keep at it for the prescribed 12 months.

Keep in mind it will be hard for me to measure maintenance effect in such a short period, as I'm shaving my head and my hair loss now evolves slowly after rapidly reaching norwood 4 territories. So only hair regrowth (or any velus to terminal) will be taken into consideration.

Last edited:

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Phenoxyethanol, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

preservatives are not the best. But three of the components they used are present in my own lotion .

A lot of luck and post your results.

In the study:
Universal Biologics provided support for this research.
Application of active or placebo cream was made daily for 40
weeks and all subjects washed their hair daily with the
same shampoo (manufactured by Universal Biologics)

BTW there is a patent regarding it from 1996, 21 years ago
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6203782.pdf

Last edited:

whoken

Reaction score
preservatives are not the best. But three of the components they used are present in my own lotion .

A lot of luck and post your results.

In the study:
Universal Biologics provided support for this research.
Application of active or placebo cream was made daily for 40
weeks and all subjects washed their hair daily with the
same shampoo (manufactured by Universal Biologics)

BTW there is a patent regarding it from 1996, 21 years ago
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6203782.pdf

Thanks dude I'll be sure to report.

Out of curiosity what are the three ingredients, and how is it going with your lotion?

whoken

Reaction score
I am updating this as promised, but too soon I am afraid.

I have decided to stop using the cream after four months of application. The reason being it affected my libido and hormones in a similar fashion than the infamous finasterine. My hair were very important to me but I can't take the sexual sides as a trade. Which is why I hoovered around alternative treatment but it seems the trade off is the same no matter what we try.

Now for the results. There was definite vellus hair turning terminal although not yet enough to have a cosmetical impact. It's only really in the fourth month that glimses of results started so its rather a slow process. Pretty sure all my hairs would have gone terminal if I kept at it for a year but I will not be the man to tell the tale.

Side effects started with balls aching and sensation of increased libido for the first days. Then the side effects kicked in slowly. Erections became harder to get. Ejaculations were weaker. Interest in sex went to almost zero. Couldn't maintain an erection without stimulation and it was 75% max. Fat accumulated in the hips section. Nipples were getting larger.

It's not a total surprise as the mechanism is still aiming to reduce dht according to the study. We know topical will still circulate through all the whole body.

I hoped...

Hangin'on Hair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am updating this as promised, but too soon I am afraid.

I have decided to stop using the cream after four months of application. The reason being it affected my libido and hormones in a similar fashion than the infamous finasterine. My hair were very important to me but I can't take the sexual sides as a trade. Which is why I hoovered around alternative treatment but it seems the trade off is the same no matter what we try.

Now for the results. There was definite vellus hair turning terminal although not yet enough to have a cosmetical impact. It's only really in the fourth month that glimses of results started so its rather a slow process. Pretty sure all my hairs would have gone terminal if I kept at it for a year but I will not be the man to tell the tale.

Side effects started with balls aching and sensation of increased libido for the first days. Then the side effects kicked in slowly. Erections became harder to get. Ejaculations were weaker. Interest in sex went to almost zero. Couldn't maintain an erection without stimulation and it was 75% max. Fat accumulated in the hips section. Nipples were getting larger.

It's not a total surprise as the mechanism is still aiming to reduce dht according to the study. We know topical will still circulate through all the whole body.

I hoped...

There are four different kinds of parabens listed in the ingredients. They are known to f*** with hormones. Avoid them. There are products out there that sound promising, but the makers end up putting parabens in. That's when I won't use them.