STUDY: Nutritional Intervention Reverses Damage to Hair&Skin

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
The ratings documented improvements in measures of hair, facial skin, body skin and nails. The most frequently improved hair measures were thinning of hair (69.8%) and hair texture (66.9%). Also improved were luster of hair (65.4%), balding (61.0%), graying of hair (58.3%), hair loss per day/week (57.3%) and darkening of hair (52.6%). The skin measures improved most often were skin texture (86.7%) and skin tone (81.2%). Also improved were wrinkles (63.0%), blemishes (61.4%) and eyelids (37.4%).

Supplementation

In addition to the dietary protocols, the program recommended a broad-based intake for vitamin and mineral supplementation that included the following:

Omega 3 EPA & DHA 1500mg
Coenzyme Q 10 100mg 3 x per day
Milk Thistle 200mg
Linoleic Acid 50mg
N Acetyl Cysteine 500mg 2x per day
Grape Seed Extract 200mg
Alpha Lipoic Acid 500mg 3x per day
Quercitin 100mg 3x per day
St. John's Wort 300mg
Vitamin E 50% 400 IU 2x per day
Selenium Methionine 200mcg
Linoleic Acid 100mg
Ascorbic Acid 1000mg-8000mg (or up to bowel tolerance)
L-Carnosine 500mg 3x per day
Acetyl-L-Carnotine 200mg 3x per day
Acidophilus 1 teaspoon per day
Superoxide Dismutase 100mg 3x per day
Dimethyl Glysine 150mg/per day
50 mg B complex once a day
Beta Carotene 333 IU/mg 5000IU
Niacinamide 50mg
Di Calcium Pantothenate 92% 50mg
Vitamin B12 1% 500mcg

Superoxide Dismutas
e (SOD) is an enzyme that repairs cells and reduces the damage done to them by superoxide, the most common free radical in the body. SOD is found in both the dermis and the epidermis, and is key to the production of healthy fibroblasts (skin-building cells).

Studies have shown that SOD acts as both an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory in the body, neutralizing the free radicals that can lead to wrinkles and precancerous cell changes. Researchers are currently studying the potential of superoxide dismutase as an anti-aging treatment, since it is now known that SOD levels drop while free radical levels increase as we age.

Superoxide Dismutase
helps the body use zinc, copper, and manganese. There are two types of SOD: copper/zinc (Cu/Zn) SOD and manganese (Mn) SOD. Each type of SOD plays a different role in keeping cells healthy. Cu/Zn SOD protects the cells’ cytoplasm, and Mn SOD protects their mitochondria from free radical damage.

Abnormalities in the copper- and zinc-dependent superoxide dismutase gene may contribute to the development of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), or Lou Gehrig’s disease, in some people. ALS is a fatal disease that causes deterioration of motor nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. It has been theorized that low levels of superoxide dismutase in those with ALS leaves nerve cells unprotected from the free radicals that can kill them, so researchers have been studying the effect of vitamin E and other antioxidant supplements on the progression of this disease. It was hoped that regular doses of antioxidants could make up for the lack of SOD and help neutralize free radicals. Initial studies were promising, and indicated that vitamin E supplementation could potentially slow the progression of ALS, with some researchers claiming that the risk of death from ALS was as much as 62 percent lower in regular vitamin E users compared to nonusers.

Superoxide Dismutase has also been used to treat arthritis, prostate problems, corneal ulcers, burn injuries, inflammatory diseases, inflammatory bowel disease, and long-term damage from exposure to smoke and radiation, and to prevent side effects of cancer drugs. In its topical form, it may help to reduce facial wrinkles, scar tissue, heal wounds and burns, lighten dark or hyperpigmentation, and protect against harmful UV rays.

SOD is found in barley grass, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, wheatgrass, and most green plants. The body needs plenty of vitamin C and copper to make this natural antioxidant, so be sure to get enough of these substances in your diet as well. SOD is also available by injection, sublingual oral supplements, enteric-coated pills, and topical creams. However, keep in mind that this substance must be absorbed in the small intestines, so it is important to choose oral supplements that are either enteric coated or sublingual in order to bypass the stomach acid that destroys SOD before it can be absorbed by the body.

Dimethyl Glycine
, a by-product of choline-to-glycine metabolization, is a building block for the synthesis of methionine, choline, and important hormones, neurotransmitters, and DNA. The body produces DMG in small amounts.

DMG helps to improve mental activity, produce high energy levels, andd maintain immune system health. It also enhances oxygenation and organic function.

DMG, while considered a food, is also a derivative of glycine, absorbed in the small intestines and transported to the liver, where it is metabolized and converted to glycine. DMG is formed from trimethylglycine or betaine, and DMG not metabolized is transported to other parts of the body.

Those that could be at risk for DMG deficiency include, because the medication could reduce the body’s absorption off DMG, anyone taking prescription medications. These people may benefit more than others from DMG supplementation.

Alcoholics, too, because they tend to eat poorly, are at risk. Alcoholic beverages block the absorption, and increase the excretion, of many nutrients; this makes increase the need for DMG supplementation.

Those with degenerative diseases including lung disease, and diabetes, may inadequately absorb, or excessively excrete, many essential, nutrients. They are good candidates for nutritional supplementation, and should be under a doctor’s care.

Both those who experience cardiac problems, and coffee drinkers, because caffeine blocks DMG absorption, might benefit from extra DMG. They should consult with their physicians regarding the taking of supplements.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
It looks overkill but you should see mine lol Just a different lifestyle.. I try to eat better and spend the money where it matters.. I never smoke and not a big drinker at all.. Some Wine on the week-end with Coronas while cooking on the Barbecue pretty much....so I spend the extra money on supplement and arsenal to fight hair loss.

the Last Fight

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey a good quality wine once a day is good or you, its got that crap revesvartol, or watever that many folks supplement with ... and squeeg' im really curious to see as to what supps youre on .. nvr mind, i forgt there was the "regime" option .. hmm i thought you were doin more

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Way more that my regimen option.. Nothing is on there.. I am too lazy to update the thing every time I add something..!

the Last Fight

Established Member
Reaction score
The only supps im doing comapred to that study are the Omega3's, Coq10, ALA and the vit E but in smaller doses ..