Study: Ejaculation and hair loss link.

DarkDays

Reaction score
Although I am not here to support or lambast the ejaculation theory I will mention this:

Prolactin has been show to inhibit hair growth in mice. It moves more and more hairs into the resting phase and keeps them there while the prolactin levels are high. Prolactin increases during ejaculation for a short while, up to 4 times when having sex(ie. onefold in masturbation and fourfold during intercourse).

Now, one of the main minerals you lose during ejaculation is zinc. You can lose up to 15mg of zinc in one ejaculation. Zinc is one of the key components in mobile sperm(and in making sure it does it job well). Sperm potency has been crashing rather rapidly in the last decades according to researchers(ie. each generation's sperm is less powerful than the last). There are of course other factors, but zinc deficiency is a probable reason. Let's not forget that high levels of insulin due to a diet full of flour and sugar will cause you to deplete zinc more rapidly than otherwise as zinc is used in making insulin. Add overt ejaculation and high sugar diet and you have an individual deficient in zinc, a mineral that will cause hairloss if you are deficient in it. Women also have a problem with this mineral as they tend to retain copper better than zinc(usually they eat a diet higher in copper than zinc) and copper displaces both zinc and manganese. A Russian study did show that individuals that were losing hair on front had very low manganese and zinc in the scalp(high copper though) compared to non-balding individuals

So what does zinc do that is relevant in this case? It actively reduces prolactin levels and it inhibits 5. alpha-reductase and you can lose a lot of it in ejaculation. Funny thing is that if you have an individual(male or female) that is having arousal problems, high dosages of zinc for a week will usually fix that problem).

My guess is that anyone who is seeing benefits from abstaining(not ejaculating) is basically experiencing a better hormonal profile as zinc slowly gets restored to a higher level.

There is probably more that plays into all of this, but this is at the top of my head right now.

powersam

Reaction score
DarkDays said:
Although I am not here to support or lambast the ejaculation theory I will mention this:

Prolactin has been show to inhibit hair growth in mice. It moves more and more hairs into the resting phase and keeps them there while the prolactin levels are high. Prolactin increases during ejaculation for a short while, up to 4 times when having sex(ie. onefold in masturbation and fourfold during intercourse).

Now, one of the main minerals you lose during ejaculation is zinc. You can lose up to 15mg of zinc in one ejaculation. Zinc is one of the key components in mobile sperm(and in making sure it does it job well). Sperm potency has been crashing rather rapidly in the last decades according to researchers(ie. each generation's sperm is less powerful than the last). There are of course other factors, but zinc deficiency is a probable reason. Let's not forget that high levels of insulin due to a diet full of flour and sugar will cause you to deplete zinc more rapidly than otherwise as zinc is used in making insulin. Add overt ejaculation and high sugar diet and you have an individual deficient in zinc, a mineral that will cause hairloss if you are deficient in it. Women also have a problem with this mineral as they tend to retain copper better than zinc(usually they eat a diet higher in copper than zinc) and copper displaces both zinc and manganese. A Russian study did show that individuals that were losing hair on front had very low manganese and zinc in the scalp(high copper though) compared to non-balding individuals

So what does zinc do that is relevant in this case? It actively reduces prolactin levels and it inhibits 5. alpha-reductase and you can lose a lot of it in ejaculation. Funny thing is that if you have an individual(male or female) that is having arousal problems, high dosages of zinc for a week will usually fix that problem).

My guess is that anyone who is seeing benefits from abstaining(not ejaculating) is basically experiencing a better hormonal profile as zinc slowly gets restored to a higher level.

There is probably more that plays into all of this, but this is at the top of my head right now.

That is a great post Darkdays, but probably the wrong conclusion at the end. Ejaculations are healthy for you in a number of ways, avoiding them is not a good option, nor is it fun.

If bad diet is depleting your zinc levels, best up them by cutting the sugars and carbs, and getting into a bunch of oysters, a good steak and some pumpkin seeds.

DarkDays

Reaction score
powersam said:
DarkDays said:

That is a great post Darkdays, but probably the wrong conclusion at the end. Ejaculations are healthy for you in a number of ways, avoiding them is not a good option, nor is it fun.

If bad diet is depleting your zinc levels, best up them by cutting the sugars and carbs, and getting into a bunch of oysters, a good steak and some pumpkin seeds.

Which is why I mentioned that I am neither for or against, just wanted to mention what might be happening in the backdrop. Of course, some athletes swear by the 7 day rule of abstinence as there is a measurable increase of testosterone on the 7th day.

Since I have no testosterone(estrogen instead) ejaculation isn't one of my worries. :) I can however attest to the fact that zinc has a huge effect on libido. I took 20mg for a week which is slightly above the RDA and my libido went through the roof(I didn't even know of its effect on libido by then, but learned that it has that effect on men and women after my "experience").

John979

Established Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this article is simply drawing the wrong conclusions. There is some evidence that male pattern baldness is linked with a higher libido, thus the speculation that somehow reducing ejaculation frequency will reduce hair loss.

Do bad the the link no longer works.

John979

Established Member
Reaction score
Research;

For each study, the conclusion you draw is the opposite of that implied or postulated.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: A MUST READ FOR PEOPLE LOSEING THEIR HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ResearchNeverFails said:
I do not believe ejaculation is to be merely one factor I believe it is the Catalyst behind male pattern baldness

Believe or have proof? most of this is just a theory, you're not the first with this theory though and every now and again some people will trial abstinence, i don't think i've ever seen evidence of it working

And even if it did work, it's just not healthy and it's certainly not natural.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12506329 study showing a rise in testosterone after day 7 of abstience suggesting a week is how long it takes for your body to balance its hormones out.

Does the study mention a correct balance? Or is it just giving measurements, how do you know the T levels aren't too high at the end of the 7 days, who is to judge what's high?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8875519 link that shows Zinc deffecient people have less tesosterone, you lose a significant amount of Zinc in you ejaculation along with other vital growth nutrients

How much do you lose, how would this impact zinc deficiency ?
http://www.bmj.com/content/310/6990/1289.full This study should have been followed with more because it single handedly proves my theory and shows that just one extra ejaculation a week in young men will rise your DHT levels if that is not proof please somebody tell me how?

If i've read correctly, that study is saying there is a correlation between dht and frequency of orgasms, it's also implying that dht increases sexual behaviour, not the other way round.

Quick question, are you religious?

Alexander

Reaction score
If i've read correctly, that study is saying there is a correlation between dht and frequency of orgasms, it's also implying that dht increases sexual behaviour, not the other way round.

Exactly. This is how I understood it.

John979

Established Member
Reaction score

ResearchNeverFails said:
http://www.bmj.com/content/310/6990/1289.full This study should have been followed with more because it single handedly proves my theory and shows that just one extra ejaculation a week in young men will rise your DHT levels if that is not proof please somebody tell me how?

In answer to your question, this study does not show that one extra ejaculation per week will raise DHT levels. It shows that opposite, that DHT levels are a predictor of ejaculation frequency. Those with higher DHT levels have more ejaculations per week.
This is true across groups of individuals (those with high DHT levels have a high ejaculation frequency) and across an individual's life (as DHT declines with age, ejaculation frequency decreases.

John979

Established Member
Reaction score

ResearchNeverFails said:
1. "And even if it did work, it's just not healthy and it's certainly not natural."
It is neither healthy nor natural to ejaculate every day or anything close to it. Society and sexuality has become out of control compared to what the instinctive purpose was made for...

The very fact that men get "horny" is a simple rebuttal to this theory.

ResearchNeverFails said:
Talk to your physician abstinence is healthy and normal..

Quite the opposite. Studies show increase prostate problems, including cancer, among men who practice "abstinence," for example priests.

2. T levels do not affect hair loss and this 7 day method is used specifically with athletes to increase T so they can build muscle better. You don't see too many athletes that are bald allthough I am not suggesting this too be the only reason why...[/quote]

I have always felt there are more bald athletes, although this could be a side effect of steroids.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score

ResearchNeverFails said:
It is neither healthy nor natural to ejaculate every day or anything close to it.
Society and sexuality has become out of control compared to what the instinctive purpose was made for.

Thanks for answering my questions i have a few points.

You mean procreating, because mankind can control his environment he isn't tied into the seasons, there is an evolutionary advantage to being able to have sex whenever.

It's used for social purposes ( I think this is what you have a hang up about) but a cohesive society has an evolutionary advantage, thank the lord you weren't born a bonobo monkey

The ability of the male to impregnate thousands of females is a succesful function of natural selection, in terms of DNA which wants to replicate itself it makes perfect sense.

It might not seem natural to you, but if it's working in nature, then it's natural.

In terms of the health issues i think Johnny NYC has covered what i want to.

In native areas where male pattern baldness does not exist and men are....less attracted to there mates they do not ejaculate as often as we do. Why? Well for starters there women do not shave, take regular showers, where sexual scented perfumes or indulge in sexual clothing.

Some people would say that's highly offensive. Do you have any data to back this up?

accident. I was trying to quit masturbating so that my acne would clear up (this is proven to work)

tried to find proof but couldn't. Do you have a single study that confirms this?

Also important for you to realize is the gestation (Pregnancy) period of a women. As you may know its 9 months and although sex feels good survival and reproduction dominate all instincts even ones indulging in pleasures. If you were hypothetically still just trying to survive on your own with a family most of your time would be spent finding foods and during the gestation you would have no reason to ejaculate

Yes you would because if you could double or even treble the amount of pregnant women in your harem, think big my son, think big. Genghis Kahn had over 8000 kids, you might not think that's moral, but nature doesn't deal in morals.

Asian culture and compare it to ours and you will see why studies show they have significantly less chances of going bald despite Asian Americans not having that luxery at all.

I think there's been one study on this, most people put it down to a change in diet or stress, I'm not sure that's quite right, but i don't see how you can blame it on ejaculation, not until you have the figures of just what these asians have been up to .

Its also know that male pattern baldness is much more dominate in Europe and America and is getting worse in the last 15 years.

The dominance is currently thought to be down to genes. I've not seen any studies yet which confirm it's a problem that's getting worse.

I believe this is due to p**rn and that would explain why my dad started balding at 30 newly married yet I started shortly after beginning to watch p**rn at 20.
Most of your inherited hair loss traits will come from your mothers side of the family.

3. The bit about zinc is interesting.
4. Sorry but i think most people will agree you've got the wrong end of the stick on this study.

I've cut short the replies because the post is getting massive, but thanks for your detailed response

John979

Established Member
Reaction score
ResearchNeverFails said:
Come on guys DHT levels do not tell you hey its time to have sex/masturbate you tell your self to do that and it raises DHT levels not the other way around.

You are kidding, right?

John979

Established Member
Reaction score
ResearchNeverFails said:
JohnNYC said:
ResearchNeverFails said:
Come on guys DHT levels do not tell you hey its time to have sex/masturbate you tell your self to do that and it raises DHT levels not the other way around.

You are kidding, right?

Not at all. The men who thought about sex in the studies did not rise the DHT levels the only time the DHT levels raised was after the physical act of ejaculating. Sorry buddy you have it *** backwards.

You are wanking. Show me where in this study is this stated or that DHT is raised after ejaculating.

All the study says is that orgasm frequency is strong correlated to DHT levels and to a less degree, age.

John979

Established Member
Reaction score
"The levels of pregnenolone, dehydroepiandrosterone (DHA), androstenedione, testosterone, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), oestrone, oestradiol, cortisol and luteinizing hormone (LH) were measured in the peripheral plasma of a group of young, apparently healthy males before and after masturbation. The same steroids were also determined in a control study, in which the psychological anticipation of masturbation was encouraged, but the physical act was not carried out. The plasma levels of all steroids were significantly increased after masturbation, whereas steroid levels remained unchanged in the control study. "

All this means that immediately after masturbation, plasma level of DHT are increased. It does not say for how long. To me, this is logical. But it is also transient. My guess is that DHT levels return to baseline relatively quickly and the spike has nothing to do with hair loss.

If it did, teenage boys would be bald by 20...

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I do believe ejaculation plays a role in hair loss. It's definitely not the root cause, but doing it excessively can speed up the process.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
FredTheBelgian said:
Wrong! Hell even if someone came up with some irrefutable proof, I don't care, I want to keep on jacking off :woot: .

Yea, well that's the problem with the people debating against it. They would rather be bald than stop that is why they keep denying the proof that is already there. Excessive masturbation exacerbates hair loss. Stopping masturbation won't stop your hair loss though. It, at most, will slow it down.

zapper

Reaction score
I don`t think excessive ejaculation alone plays a role. I had been ejaculating less than twice a week on an average for this year and there was no improvement to my hair. Even now, i have not ejaculated for the past 20 days!. And completely stopped masturbating since 2 days ago. The act of masturbation itself causes Testosterone to convert to DHT. My experiment is a very hard one in which i am not going to masturbate until my hair loss stops and new hair grows or for 2 years. Really long ain`t it?. I have done enough research on DHT, 5ar, etc in the past 3 years. It is always the DHT and there`s the 'T' in it!. When 'T' depletes, it causes ageing [source: Wikipedia].

My experiment began here 2 days ago.

Reaction score
This is probably true, how can you not have any side effects after frequent masturbation? we get side effects for almost everything in life if it is on the excessive, frequent urination may result in dehydration or salt loss, frequent stoles may cause intestinal problems, every dam thing has a side effect if its done to much and we always are reluctant to accept masturbation can cause some side effects because it interferes with our pleasure.

Orgasm itself is such an huge out burst of energy and animals seem to do it only in season while we do it like every day. I really think masturbation done every day does cause chemical imbalance which is only supposed to be a seasonal male Harmon related activity and we all know hair is linked with male harmone imbalance.