Study Comparing RU 58841 to Topical Finasteride

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
Found this old study comparing topical antiandrogens, not sure if its been discussed before, but thought it might be worth bringing up again. It only reinforces the current thought that RU 58841 may be the ultimate topical antiandrogen, the equivalent of castration, with apparently no systematic absorption.

Effects of topical antiandrogen and 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors on sebaceous glands in male fuzzy rats
Ye F, Imamura K, Imanishi N, Rhodes L, Uno H.
Wisconsin Regional Primate Research Center, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53715-1299, USA.

The fuzzy rat, a genetic mutant between hairless and hairy albino rats, expresses androgen-dependent hypersecretion of sebum and hyperplastic sebaceous glands. Using this model for human acne, we examined the effects of inhibitors of human steroid 5 alpha-reductase isozymes, type I (MK 386) and type II (finasteride), and an androgen receptor blocker (RU58841) on regression of glandular and ductal hyperplasia. The above three agents, 1% weight volume, were dissolved into the vehicle (propylene glycol, alcohol and water) and applied on the backs of peripubertal male rats for 2 months. Control and castrate groups received vehicle alone. At 8 weeks, we examined the size the sebaceous glandular lobules and ducts in split epidermal preparations as well as in frozen sections of skin stained with osmium-potassium dichromate solution. The number of bromodeoxyuridine (BrdU)-positive cells was counted in the glandular lobes in split-skin tissues stained with BrdU immunochemistry. The results revealed that the sizes of both lobes and ducts in castrates were 40-60% smaller than in controls. RU58841 induced glandular and ductal regression equivalent to that in castrates. Finasteride induced a moderate degree of lobular and ductal reduction, whereas MK386 caused only ductal regression. Reduction of BrdU-positive cells in the sebaceous lobes was found in the skin treated with finasteride and RU58841. Serum concentrations of testosterone and dihydrotestosterone showed no significant changes in all drug-treated rats. The weight of the prostatic lobes was reduced significantly in rats treated with finasteride but not by the other two agents. RU58841 effectively counteracted endogenous androgens resulting in a suppression of growth of the sebaceous glands but not the prostate. This rodent model for androgen-dependent hyperplasia of the sebaceous glands is useful for the study of many pharmacological aspects comprising the rate of percutaneous absorption, stability and affinity to target organs of the testing compounds, and selection of adequate vehicle for topical application

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been reading a lot about this RU drug...it seems really effective, so why isn't it making it to the market?

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
NICE!!! This is good to hear. Any RU users have updates on their experiences?

I'm really considering taking the plunge and emailing Faitheagle. I'm down to .25mg Finasteride and it's killing my energy. I don't know what it is... I know it's not supposed to work this way, but I really think finasteride drops my testosterone. After 2 weeks or so at any dose, I get emotionally dull and completely uninterested in sex.

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
Seems like the previous RU trials by members of this forum somehow fizzled out. I think we need to give this another shot, hopefully more successful this time around. Any takers???

abcdefg

Reaction score
we need a company to turn RU into a product you buy OTC right alongside rogain. If they made it OTC RU would make a killing what man wouldnt use it to keep all there hair? The only problem is the price this would cost. No guy wants to pay a grand a year to hold onto there very slow hairloss like young guys. RU might stop mature hairlines even if started early enough.

powersam

Reaction score
thousand dollars a year doesnt seem that much.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
I would really like to know what concentration of finasteride they used. There must be a point where inhibition of 5ar would be very localised.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I want to into walmart and buy some nicely packaged RU. This stuff needs to be proven and turned into a real product. Tons of young guys want to prevent hairloss and propecia is in my opinion a slightly dangerous and general approach that RU would solve perfectly if it actually does as it claims.