Study: A new RU58841 for Topical Application?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Hint on understanding this abstract. Read it VERY.... VERY slowly and think about each word. You'll do fine! I've put helper text in (parenthesis).

Objectives:
Acne and Androgenetic Alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia, male pattern baldness, etc) are linked to Androgen effects and therefore should IMPROVE following a topical application of antiandrogens (topical spironolactone, topical finasteride?, revivogen, crinagen, etc).

Serious side effects due to a systemic absorption, however, exclude this treatment in men (there are very powerful antiandrogens but they can't be used because they may get into the bloodstream and be unsafe. the holy grail is to find a powerful one that stays somewhat local in the scalp). Drug targeting to the sebum gland and derma papillae, however, may allow topical antiandrogen treatment in men (if they can keep it localized to the follicle's structures, it may be safer). Accomplishing this may be possible by particulate carrier systems such as solid lipid nanoparticles, SLN, which are known to support dermal targeting (they've found something that can take the active ingredient and target only the local follicle structures. they're called liposomes) Cutaneous uptake was also visualized by flourescence microscopy using dye loaded SLN (they dyed the liposomes so they could see if it did indeed keep things localized).

Methods:
The New Antiandrogen prodrug called RU58841-myristate was developed for topical therapy. (I believe this is a new version of RU58841 intended for topical application for hair loss sufferers). Ester cleavage was proved, receptor affinity and local tolerability were compared to RU58841. (they made sure it did all the same things as orally ingested RU). In contrast to native RU58841, the more lipophilic RU-myristate and nile red can be loaded into the lipid particles by hot homogenization (they found they could more easily dye the RU-myristate and track its activities during absorption than they could with traditional RU).

Results:
While receptor binding experiments proved the almost complete loss of binding to the androgen receptor, RU-myristate is rapidly metabolized to the potent antiandrogen RU58841 by the skin cells. Cellular viability was not impaired. (in a nutshell, the stuff effectively was delivered to the follicles and then transformed into a potent antiandrogen without any adverse effects. the trojan horse effect. deliver the ingredients inside the city walls and then spill out and lay everything to waste. it effectively did what propecia does from the bloodstream - it stopped the harmful binding to the androgen receptors, which should result in reversing hair loss). The new form of RU58841 known as RU58841-myristate (or "RUM") had negligible antiandrogen permeation through the skin, implying a more topical action of the drug (it didn't absorb past the skin to any noticeable extent - aka the holy grail?). Flourescent microscopy showed that the Lipid vehicle and the Nanoemulsion vehicle increased dye uptake into the skin as compared to the cream (they tried the stuff in apparently 3 different types of solutions and the lipid solution absorbed better than the cream)

Conclusions:
The new form of RU58841 known as RU58841-myristate (or "RUM") combined in a Solid Lipid Nanoparticle solution should be considered for topical antiandrogen therapy for both acne and Androgenetic Alopecia.

AKA ... a new treatment? Don't ask me where to get it, no idea :)

See guys they are researching things.

If anyone has a different interpretation of the above please feel free to chime in. One thing I don't know, is everything!

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
:fun: :pint: :fun: :pint: :fun:

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Damn, this sounds promising. When was this study done?

*doing a Google search as we speak*

G

lipid nanoparticles are an aqueous dispersion of particles made of fats and in this case 'RUM' :) they are very very very small and are being increaingly used as a vechile for topical application, they have been around for at leat ten years, I am suprised no one has stuck minoxidil into a nanoparticle?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Isn't this vehicle technology what Lipoxidil.com is all about?

Yes this new form of RU seems promising.

Don't know if it exists as a treatment right now but I would probably add it as an equal or better to Topical spironolactone if it did...

Study was published mid 04... not sure when it was done.

HairLossTalk.com

G

I would think you could get some pharmachy to knock you up a batch or two, a little like the early RU and Dutastaride users getting stuff made before it had been through trails.

risky!

Sounds promising, who is doing this research?

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
I would probably add it as an equal or better to Topical spironolactone if it did...

HairLossTalk.com

I thought that RUxxxx is supposed to be "the mother of all topicals" and spironolactone is only a weak anti-androgen. So why do you compare it to spironolactone, that dissapoints me a bit :cry:

Reaction score
From what I read, it seems as though this should be a lot better than spironolactone and if used in combination with Minoxidil, should completely halt hair loss and lead to some regrowth. The study did say that "receptor binding experiments proved the almost complete loss of binding to the androgen receptor," so I would expect hair loss to at least halt completely while someone is on this, and I would also expect there to be at least some minor regrowth. At the very least. But thats just what I'm getting from the study.

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
so the question is, WHERE DO WE GET THE STUFF???

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wonder what the "half life" is- how often you would have to apply the stuff. Since it doesn't get into the blood stream like minoxidil (?), getting it to every follicle is important.

With minoxidil, I do like the instructions say, and only drop it in "rows of hair", about 1 inch apart.

But yeah, this sounds awesome. Thank you.

viperfish

Reaction score
Buffboy said:
HairlossTalk said:
I would probably add it as an equal or better to Topical spironolactone if it did...

HairLossTalk.com

I thought that RUxxxx is supposed to be "the mother of all topicals" and spironolactone is only a weak anti-androgen. So why do you compare it to spironolactone, that dissapoints me a bit :cry:

I totally agree!! There is no way that spironolactone should even be considered close to RU. It is the mother of anti-androgens. There is nothing available more powerful than RU. Maintaining hair yes! Regrowth unlikely! It is not a miracle cure or the holy grail.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Buffboy said:
Uhhh weird thing to take issue with really. No big deal. I said equal to or better than. If you'd like ill just say better than. I don't have enough information at this time to draw an accurate comparison so i expanded my phrasing to include possibility for error ... by saying both equal to or better than.

Also ... im such an amateur sometimes ... I called them "Lipids" above .. the correct term for the vehicle used is LIPOSOMES.

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
viperfish said:
It is not ... the holy grail.
To quote Angela Christiano: "If we could find a significantly potent antiandrogen that would NOT absorb significantly into the bloodstream, that would be like the holy grail of hair loss treatments". Holy grail in my post was used in this context. Not in the sense that it was a cure to hair loss.

I already clarified this in my original post:
HairlossTalk said:
(there are very powerful antiandrogens but they can't be used because they may get into the bloodstream and be unsafe. the holy grail is to find a powerful one that stays somewhat local in the scalp)
HairLossTalk.com

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I must say Im getting pretty excited about the possibility...the what if's are floating around my head....

S Foote.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So the big question is, `WHAT EFFECT DOES THIS HAVE ON HAIR GROWTH?'

If this is as good as it sounds regarding preventing any DHT/ receptor interaction in the follicle, it should be the best ever treatment (according to the current theory of DHT related hair loss).

So what are the `ACTUAL' results?

S Foote.

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Buffboy said:
Uhhh weird thing to take issue with really. No big deal. I said equal to or better than. If you'd like ill just say better than. I don't have enough information at this time to draw an accurate comparison so i expanded my phrasing to include possibility for error ... by saying both equal to or better than.

Also ... im such an amateur sometimes ... I called them "Lipids" above .. the correct term for the vehicle used is LIPOSOMES.

HairLossTalk.com
I think you misunderstood me, HairLossTalk.com. Not trying to offend you in any way. Not disappointet in YOU, just sad that it wasn't worth more than a comparison to spironolactone. I just thought it was kind of a wonder drug. Guess I was wrong. Sorry if it came out the wrong way! :oops: