Student on a budget needs under $50 month treatment

HairDude99

Reaction score
I am 20 and have a receding hairline along with thinning hair on the top. It isnt too bad and Id say is only noticeable if you look closely if I style my hair the right way. I noticed this about a year ago and it seems to be getting worse albeit slowly fortunately. I used to grow lots of shiny black hair but now it seems to be growing slower and thinner. Im a student on a budget so under $50 would be my goal.

I was thinking of a DHT inhibitor along with a growth stimulant. Propecia I would rather not do since it seems quite costly and I hate taking pills. Any help would be much appreciated. Ive tried posting on non hair loss discussion boards only to be riddiculed so this site seems like a great idea. Thanks!

viperfish

Reaction score
You can switch to proscar, which would be alot cheaper (maybe around $20/month). I feel your pain I'm 25 and a graduate student and right now there is not alot of money to go around. It is tough, but you just have to make sacrifices to afford the hairloss treatments. Maybe cut down on the drinking/parties/fast food or whatever and you might be able to make it work. :lol:

HairDude99

Reaction score
How hard would it be to obtain proscar? Things are going pretty well and am exicted about a lot of new things going on in my life such as school, naval reservist, and trying to obtain my private pilots license, and then my hair decided to throw a monkey wrench into my life. I thought I was reserved to my hair loss fate but this site gives me some hope. Maybe ill try talking to my hair? haha. Never seen this symbol before :hairy:

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
Proscar is easy to get off the internet. Use google to find a site that will sell it without a prescription. Do a little detective work. The best way is to explain to your doctor that proscar is the same is propecia and try to get a prescription, but that will cost you a visit to the doctor.

Also use Nizoral shampoo. It keeps the scalp in good shape and has been shown to have regrowth and retention results similar to 2% rogaine. I bought Nizoral 2% off ebay for 50 dollars for 3 bottles and I've been using it for almost 4 months, still on the first bottle. It's prescription only in the US so you have to use the internet, I don't know if a doctor will give you a script unless you have bad dandruff. The 1% version is available over the counter though.

That leaves you well under 50 dollars a month. Finasteride, the ingredient in proscar, could give you the regrowth you want so don't even worry about a growth stimulant at this point. I believe it regrew hair for about 40% of men noticibly after a year, with some form of regrowth for 66% of men at 2 years.

If you decide this is not enough after giving it 12 months to work, you can use generic minoxidil from any pharmacy or wal-mart for like 12 more dollars per month. Fighting hair loss can be quite cheap if you know what to look for :)

Good Luck

MH

HairDude99

Reaction score
OK thanks for the great response. I think I will try using proscar and cutting it into 1/4. I might try using a growth stimulant just in case. If after a year or 2 neither works then probably nothing will. Couple questions before I proceed.

1. Are overseas internet Proscar distrubitor companies reputatable? I noticed Merck seems to be the manufactuer of a alot of oversea Proscar. Id hate to get a box full of Flentstones vitamins. Is there anyway to verify the contents?

2. Is it legal? I heard buying prescription drugs from Canada is illegal so would buying Proscar from Canada be illegal?

3. Where do I get a good pill cutter? Are there any where you can cut it into quarters all at once or do you first have to cut it in half then repeat process.

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
give up your girlfriend if you got one, cause they are always expensive. and just jerk off insted.....i do that but i don't have a girlfriend to get rid off so i just jerk off anyway

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
gonna_win said:
give up your girlfriend if you got one, cause they are always expensive. and just jerk off insted.....i do that but i don't have a girlfriend to get rid off so i just jerk off anyway

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(laughing)