Struggling With Sensitive Scalp Issues

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
finasteride and dutasteride gave me a bad scalp itch. one i did not have prior. so i stopped taking it and ever since my scalp has been so sensitive. i don't know whats going on. i can't use minoxidil or any other topicals as it irritates my scalp in the thinning areas. and i can't use alot of shampoos because again it irritates my scalp in the thinning areas.

The only one i found that helps abit is Nioxin 2 shampoo and i don't know why that one helps. as so many other don't help. including nizoral, T-gel ect ect.

Maybe its because i spent such a long time using topicals with Finasteride and dutasteride that i messed my scalp up. has anyone experienced this? and does anyone have any advice?

I am gonna start taking 20 billion probiotics soon. maybe that could help. i feel like this is punishment for trying to stop the hairloss. now its progressing and i can't do anything at all without making it worse. :(

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are a lot of possible causes for scalp itch and irritation. It is important to rule out any possible alternative causes that are unrelated to the products you have used. Did your scalp itchiness start at the precise time you began using finasteride? I'm not aware of any mechanism by which oral finasteride/dutasteride could cause an itchy scalp. In theory, these drugs should reduce any male pattern baldness-related scalp itch (and have no effect one way or the other on any non- male pattern baldness-related scalp itch).

Kaus Klinski

My Regimen
Reaction score
In this case, all you can probably still do is to apply a topical corticosteroid, like betamethasone valerate 0.1 %, once - twice a day. It's prescription only, so you should see a dermatologist. I use it myself every now and then, it was included in Dr. Lee's Xandrox Formula in a lower concentration (0.025 % or so) to prevent irritation in the first place, it may even help with hair loss to a certain degree but using it long term in a higher dosage may cause thinning of the skin.

regards
Kaus Klinski

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In this case, all you can probably still do is to apply a topical corticosteroid, like betamethasone valerate 0.1 %, once - twice a day. It's prescription only, so you should see a dermatologist. I use it myself every now and then, it was included in Dr. Lee's Xandrox Formula in a lower concentration (0.025 % or so) to prevent irritation in the first place, it may even help with hair loss to a certain degree but using it long term in a higher dosage may cause thinning of the skin.

regards
Kaus Klinski

I been thinking about seeing a dermatologist but its so unbelievably costly.

There are a lot of possible causes for scalp itch and irritation. It is important to rule out any possible alternative causes that are unrelated to the products you have used. Did your scalp itchiness start at the precise time you began using finasteride? I'm not aware of any mechanism by which oral finasteride/dutasteride could cause an itchy scalp. In theory, these drugs should reduce any male pattern baldness-related scalp itch (and have no effect one way or the other on any non- male pattern baldness-related scalp itch).

Yep either i never had a scalp itch prior to finasteride or it was turned up hugely after taking finasteride as i couldn't believe how itchy my scalp became. so i switched to dutasteride and the itch remained and sadly hasn't gone away since. even after stopping it. now my scalp is reactionary.

I have days where its much calmer but i ain't sure what makes that happen. sometimes i think allergy tablets help and some days i don't think they are helping. if i go without masturbating for a few days i think that helps abit but i ain't sure. and i also think Nioxin 2 shampoo helps, even though its quite drying.

I been trying to figure out what the pattern is between itch and whats going on at the time... if its DHT why is my scalp sensitive to shampoos?, and even face creams at times. sometimes going without masturbation helps and there are times where the itch comes back anyway after a few days and masturbation actually helps relieve it.

I have had multiple theories like it could be gut-related or an autoimmune response since inflammation is linked to gut and immune system. i also had a theory it could be contact dermatitis, but there isn't any sign of it on my scalp. my scalp looks healthy, its just reactive inflammation.

Last edited:

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I been thinking about seeing a dermatologist but its so unbelievably costly.

Yep either i never had a scalp itch prior to finasteride or it was turned up hugely after taking finasteride as i couldn't believe how itchy my scalp became. so i switched to dutasteride and the itch remained and sadly hasn't gone away since. even after stopping it. now my scalp is reactionary.

I have days where its much calmer but i ain't sure what makes that happen. sometimes i think allergy tablets help and some days i don't think they are helping. if i go without masturbating for a few days i think that helps abit but i ain't sure. and i also think Nioxin 2 shampoo helps, even though its quite drying.

I been trying to figure out what the pattern is between itch and whats going on at the time... if its DHT why is my scalp sensitive to shampoos?, and even face creams at times. sometimes going without masturbation helps and there are times where the itch comes back anyway after a few days and masturbation actually helps relieve it.

I have had multiple theories like it could be gut-related or an autoimmune response since inflammation is linked to gut and immune system. i also had a theory it could be contact dermatitis, but there isn't any sign of it on my scalp. my scalp looks healthy, its just reactive inflammation.
I don't personally think that your itchy scalp was being caused by your usage of finasteride/dutasteride, so my suggestion to you is to go back on finasteride or dutasteride. If you are not taking one of these drugs, your hair loss will continue to get worse. I know you said it costs a lot, but if you are able to afford it, I strongly suggest making an appointment with a dermatologist to try to determine the root cause of your scalp issue. I think it might not be anything to do with the products that you are using.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't personally think that your itchy scalp was being caused by your usage of finasteride/dutasteride, so my suggestion to you is to go back on finasteride or dutasteride. If you are not taking one of these drugs, your hair loss will continue to get worse. I know you said it costs a lot, but if you are able to afford it, I strongly suggest making an appointment with a dermatologist to try to determine the root cause of your scalp issue. I think it might not be anything to do with the products that you are using.

It is due to finasteride/dutasteride. the first time i first started finasteride is when the scalp itch began. i never felt this itch before so it instantly wrang alarm bells. so i stopped taking finasteride and the itch went away. i then started to worry about hair loss that i was convinced to try Dutasteride because some said maybe i needed something stronger. so i tried it and i got an itch again, but i kept on it for at least 2 months hoping the itch would subside and it didn't so i stopped taking it and waited for the itch to go away... it never did.

In the long run i might have messed up trying dutasteride because something has gone hugely wrong.

yeah dermatologist are expensive. dunno why it has to be in the £100s

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Maybe i am fucked. can't use shampoos without inflammation, which inflammation is probably a bad thing for hair. i can't take DHT blockers of any sort. my scalp is so sensitive and my hair loss is getting worse. my whole hairline is taking a beating. i continue to try and keep hopeful but whats the point.

JohnConnor

My Regimen
Reaction score
try Dandrene shampoo and Bioderma node ds. Don't be gentle with your scalp that's a mistake. You need to get it squeaky clean clear of infection/irritation before doing minoxidil. Apple cider vinegar can help clean it. Depends how severe it is, but you need to get it clean and calm. Stay away from PPG and alcohol if possible try that lipogaine sensitive. Shampoo can also cause it some have PPG.
Ones that work for me are Dandrene, Cystaphene Biorga DS, Bioderma Node DS (but too drying for me) and for these you need a good conditioner. Dandrene conditioner is ok and has zinc which is rare for a conditioner but if you need soft hair I use it's a 10 hair mask original in the huge pump. I have used every shampoo/conditioner on earth. Most of the best ones come from france. Nizoral is a low end shampoo.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Recently got some topical steriods from a doctor. applied it yesterday. the result. basically same thing. today my scalp feels abit irritated…

I notice when i apply it that i feel a tingling on the side of my head. i am gonna assume thats some contact allergy thing.

JohnConnor

My Regimen
Reaction score
No those don't help and can cause hair loss and mess up your scalp. Dr's don't know anything about your problem, they will just say there is no cure. Sounds like you have some stage of seb derm. Which can be caused by antibiotics. I don't know if you have oily scales if you run your fingernails across your scalp or not but use the products like I said.

1. Use revita shampoo first just to clean oil off scalp/hair (use scalp brush in this step to scrape any dandruff flakes/oil off)
2. Then use Dandrene and let it sit 5+ mins (the other shampoos Cystaphene Biorga DS, Bioderma Node DS are good but Dandrene is working better)
3. Then use Dandrene conditioner (I mix it with some it's a 10 mask because dandruff shampoos are drying)

Once healed use lipogaine sensitive in AM & get some 15% rogaine for the PM

AVOID propylene glycol in any product. It's not the only bad thing but it seems to be the worst.

If you have face issues use Nobel Zinc soap with emu or Dr Baileys Zinc foaming wash.

Most shampoos like Cystaphene Biorga DS, Bioderma Node DS, Regenepure DR use Salycidic acid. Dandrene uses Glycolic acid with Zinc which seems to work better.

I also have piroctone olamine, climbazole and other ingredients to make any shampoo anti fungal.

Last edited:

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ounds like you have some stage of seb derm.

What is Seb Derm?

Yeah the topical steroid. i only used it once and only a little bit and my scalp has been really irritated. it will probably calm down in a few days, but this really speeds up the hairloss :(

I dunno what happened. i can't use anything with Keto or minoxidil in it either. that drives my scalp crazy too. infact there ain't many shampoos that do not now. apart from Nioxin 2 and i ain't sure what ingredients in that shampoo help. although its still not a very good shampoo to use as i shed more when using it :(