Striker's Story - (UPDATE and new pics added Sept 11, 2006)

strikernr

Reaction score
Hi all!

Hair Loosing since: 21
Family Bio:
Father: Bald (since early 30s)
Grand Father (dad side): Bald
Grand Father (mom side): pretty thick hair for a 78 year old a...very little hair loss

Before Pics (taken November 2005 before start of Rogain):
Top: http://home.utm.utoronto.ca/~t_g/nov05-2005.JPG
Front: http://home.utm.utoronto.ca/~t_g/front_nov20-2005.JPG
Side: http://home.utm.utoronto.ca/~t_g/side_nov20-2005.JPG

Current Pics (taken Jan 07, 2006):
Top1: http://home.utm.utoronto.ca/~t_g/picc/SA400019.JPG
Top2: http://home.utm.utoronto.ca/~t_g/picc/SA400020.JPG
Side: http://home.utm.utoronto.ca/~t_g/picc/SA400021.JPG
Front1: http://home.utm.utoronto.ca/~t_g/picc/SA400022.JPG
Front2: http://home.utm.utoronto.ca/~t_g/picc/SA400023.JPG
Close-up: http://home.utm.utoronto.ca/~t_g/picc/SA400024.JPG

Regimen:
1) One tablet of 1mg finasteride/day since Dec 25, 05
2) Rogaine 2% once a day before bed since Dec 05
3) Nizoral Anti-Dandruff Shampoo since Nov 05

Story:
As you can see from the pics, I'm a going bald :) Isn't that a blessing :( My hair loss started at 21, that's when one of my friend noticed thinning at top of my head while spotting me at gym. He pointed out to me and your going bald. At first i was very offended and bit angry and reacted in aggressive manner telling him to f*** off....hehe. To my surprise he wasn't joking. Next day i took a hand mirror and held it on top of my head in front of a wall mirror in the washroom. I noticed small recession but i still didn't wanna believe taht iw as going bald.

Since i was one year old i had a head full of thick hair. You can see that in some of my pics 3-4 years ago...
In this pic my hair looks pretty thick, nice and curly. This is 3 years ago at a party...i was growing my hair long..lol..i know i am drunk :)
http://home.utm.utoronto.ca/~t_g/me2.gif
This pic was taken 4-5 months later when i had long hair...this is longest i had....
http://home.utm.utoronto.ca/~t_g/longhair.jpg
After few months i cut my hair short again and that's when the downfall began...this pic was taken about 1 and half years ago...you can notice some recession...
http://home.utm.utoronto.ca/~t_g/SA400011.JPG

Since last 6 months my hair loss has just deteriorated. I have lost so much hair that even my parents don't believe it what is happening to me. Ever since my hair loss become noticeable to other people, i have gradually lost confidence, self ego and motivation to do anything. This has been like a poison to me killing me slowly inside. I always took my hair for granted and never thought i would loose hair...actually i never even thought about my hair in that way. I never took in account that my dad is bald this is could and will most definitely happen to me too...i never cared. And today, i sit here dwelling about my hair loss...who would have thought. When ever i feel like sh!t, i come here and i feel like i am among friends.
Did hair loss destroy my chances of finding a pretty female companion. I don't know..i never had a gf to begin with and i don't how girls think at my age...i would say some are mature and some are just down right snobby and stuck up...i never cared for opposite sex but i understand now that in few years i will be getting married and at that point i wonder how my much hair i will loose and how much that will impact my search in finding someone attractive...oh well that's all good...whatever happens happens...

Now for my regimen. I just recently started taking finasteride. I have noticed a lot of shedding since last month i started using Rogain...and shedding is getting worst ever since i started finasteride...oh well, I will keep you guys posted every 3 weeks with pics of my progress.

Guys, any advice, suggestions and comments are welcome..

Freestyle

Established Member
Reaction score
You're doing all you can do, and I think you'll have a lot of success with your regimen.

The only thing I, personally, would add is Tricomin or Folligen to shorten the length of time bewteen cycles. You don't have to, because you'll probably see good results just from what you have.

Actually, I think you have a good face structure for shaving your head. Not shiny bald, of course, but maybe a #1 or #2.

Advantages to clipping your hair really short: the thinning is not as noticable at that length, much less maintenance, makes topical products very easy to apply so you won't waste as much, and you'll get a good idea of how you'll look if all else fails.

If you keep it clipped very short for a year while you continue with your treatments, you can let it grow back in this time next year and take more pictures to check your progress.

I've found that I care much less about shedding and such now that I keep my hair at #2 for most of the year.

Good luck.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
Your story is familiar to many of the younger crowd on this site.

If you feel your hairloss is progressing extremely fast, then I'd say you should goto the docs and get some tests done.

Meanwhile keep on the meds esp finasteride and minoxidil and good things will come.

You still have heaps to save and at least your hairline hasn't receeded, that's when it becomes harder to get back.

strikernr

Reaction score
Freestyle said:
You're doing all you can do, and I think you'll have a lot of success with your regimen.

The only thing I, personally, would add is Tricomin or Folligen to shorten the length of time bewteen cycles. You don't have to, because you'll probably see good results just from what you have.

Actually, I think you have a good face structure for shaving your head. Not shiny bald, of course, but maybe a #1 or #2.

Advantages to clipping your hair really short: the thinning is not as noticable at that length, much less maintenance, makes topical products very easy to apply so you won't waste as much, and you'll get a good idea of how you'll look if all else fails.

If you keep it clipped very short for a year while you continue with your treatments, you can let it grow back in this time next year and take more pictures to check your progress.

I've found that I care much less about shedding and such now that I keep my hair at #2 for most of the year.

Good luck.

Not a bad suggestion. I cut them short with #2 about a month and a half ago (i should have taken few pictures) and you're right i didn't worry about shedding at all when they were short...and i probably will cut them short again...the only problem is my mom doesn't like it :)

strikernr

Reaction score
askas said:
What about 5 percant rogaine?

5% is not available over the counters without prescription in Canada. Right now i am taking finasteride without prescription. I figured i will have to go to my Doctor at one point anyway to get some prescriptions...

strikernr

Reaction score
hellohello said:

If you feel your hairloss is progressing extremely fast, then I'd say you should goto the docs and get some tests done.

Meanwhile keep on the meds esp finasteride and minoxidil and good things will come.

You still have heaps to save and at least your hairline hasn't receeded, that's when it becomes harder to get back.

Why do you say i must see my Doctor? You think there could be something else behind my progressive loss?

jeffsss

Reaction score
strikernr said:
hellohello said:

Why do you say i must see my Doctor? You think there could be something else behind my progressive loss?

something like thyroid problems could cause your hair loss.. unlikely.. but it's a posiblitly

strikernr

Reaction score
jeffsss said:
strikernr said:
hellohello said:

something like thyroid problems could cause your hair loss.. unlikely.. but it's a posiblitly

I searched through this topic in brief...it sounds to me a disease which occurs ate old age...so i doubt it...but i better have a full body check up soon with my doctor just be sure...

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Always a good idea to get a check-up but I dont think it is a thyroid issue. A thyroid problem causes hairloss all over the head in a diffused pattern. All your hairloss is concentrated on the top vertex.

Good news is, that area responds the best to treatments. Bad news is, results usually are not phenomenal in so far as giving a young guy back the hair he remembers having.

As another poster said though, you got the right facial structure and skin to shave it. I would personally go #1 for now. I take it you also work out. That is good. Concentrate on being fit, try to keep what hair you got left, shave it down, and do something about that excessive body hair bro. Finally, get your life together, move out of your parent's house, and you'll have no problems getting a good looking girl.

PS
You'll probably look a little like a thug if you work out and shave your head but chicks dig that man. Your mom might not like it but you're 24yrs dude. You're too old to be doing what mommy says :wink:

strikernr

Reaction score
This is just an update on my progress:

I haven't had too much side effects with finasteride. I had some sexual side effects for example less sexual drive but this week i felt fantastic :). The shed is going away as well..not seeing as much shed. I will take few pics after i get a hair cut probably 2 weeks from now and post some progress pics. I'm in my 3rd week on treatment.

Regimen:
- 1mg finasteride/day
- Rogaine 2% once before bed
- Nizrol Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (2-3 times a week)

strikernr

Reaction score
8 month update.

Hi everyone,

I took new pictures of my hair this morning after 8 months on treatment. I started using Finpecia 1gm starting this year in january and have been continously taking 1 tablet everyday ever since. I stopped using Rogain 2% in march and started using it again since last 15 days. Frankly, i don't see any improvement in my hair and my hair have gone more thinner than before. Is the treatment not working? What do you guys think?

My old pics (before treatment)
Top:

Front:

side:

My new pics (8 months after treatment)

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't think you have lost any hairs. I see some slight improvements.
Don't change your regimen frequently.

Also, start minoxidil 5% and reevaluate your situation in 6 months from now.

strikernr

Reaction score
some more pics

Here are some more latest pictures taken today

strikernr

Reaction score
techprof said:
I don't think you have lost any hairs. I see some slight improvements.
Don't change your regimen frequently.

Also, start minoxidil 5% and reevaluate your situation in 6 months from now.

5% is not avaiable on counters in Canada and i don't have precription for it. I know there are places on the internet where i can get them but they're all outside canada and i don't know if customes will let it through?

That's what my parents and friends say but to me it seems like im losing more. I heard after getting on finasteride you stop shedding hair but i still shed tons of hair in the shower. Is this normal?

biglemoncoke

Established Member
Reaction score
I am also using rogaine 2%, i have heard many people saying 2% is not good enough, but i saw a study in this forum that provided a comparison between 2% and 5%, the hair counts for regrowth are actually similiar. So, don't trip, 2% will probably work.

strikernr

Reaction score
hi

Perhaps. I should give more time on the treatment. I have just starting Rogain again. I discontinued because of irritation it use to case but i think Rogain was seriously helping my hair loss and i'm going to continue using this time for long enough to see if makes any impact.

What do you guys think of my currents pics? How bad is my hair? Is there room for improvement?