Stress Or male pattern baldness - Mom Seeking Help For Her Son!

MattsMom

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, I’m the mom of a 24-year-old son who struggles with thinning hair. He didn’t want to post on here himself because he’s convinced his case is hopeless, and eventually he’ll go completely bald. After years of asking him if I could post a photo and discuss his hair loss issues with others on the forum, he has finally relented.

My son’s hair loss began about 4 years ago, when his longtime girlfriend broke up with him. He would complain then about massive shedding, but his hair was thick enough that we didn’t notice it any thinning. Eventually, I noticed that the hair on the top was becoming thinner. And I could see scalp around his ears and the back of his neck. I researched the charts regarding male pattern baldness, but I could never find a number that fit his thinning. I figured it was just stress related, but now four years later, I don’t know what to think.

He’s done everything he can possibly do to keep the hair he has, but nothing has worked so far. He tried Finasteride, along with Minoxidil, for 9 months. He quit because it seemed to accelerate the shedding, especially at the end. He’s also tried countless vitamins and hair potions, but none of them worked well either. I found a e-book online about massaging your head to stimulate regrowth. His hair seemed to be getting a little thicker after a few months, but then he went through a massive shed again.

His last attempt at finding a solution was Derma Rolling, and he was convinced that this time it would work. He was faithful in rolling the recommended amount, but got discouraged and quit when he went through a massive shed again.

I’ve always wondered if his continual hair loss could possibly be caused by stress. He is depressed about the situations, and has lost hope that it’ll ever be resolved. He’s become obsessed about checking his hair for more fall out. It’s rare to see him without his fingers pulling strands of his hair. If he gets any out, he examines and counts them. He says he thinks about his hair loss every day.

I’ve read this forum in the past, and everyone seems so helpful and nice. I was wondering if any of you could spare some time to give me your thoughts or advice. Do you think this is an advanced stage of male pattern baldness, or stress related?

Please do not tell me he needs to go back on Finasteride. He is convinced that it made his hair shed worse, and he refuses to ever use it again!

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!

Attachments

• 20170425_191333.jpg
    20170425_191333.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 5,588
  • 20170425_191405.jpg
    20170425_191405.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 1,122
  • 20170425_191417.jpg
    20170425_191417.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 1,243

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
This isn't ordinary male pattern baldness. You need to look up DUPA.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some guys report shedding with finasteride then getting regrowth, however 9 months sounds like long time to me to see no improvement..There is also dutasteride but not sure if that is bad if he had a poor reaction to finasteride..Minoxodil also you see a shed but its in beginning then it gets better--it can cycle a bit get worse and better but you would still see a lot of improvement by 9 month.

I am honestly not sure what you should do I am just posting so your thread does not get buried and maybe other will chime in and advise you.

Does your husband or Father have Male pattern baldness? If so what age did it start?

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
IMO, it's better to be on one treatmet for a while so you can tell which one is working for you, I mean getting on finasteride and minoxidil will make you doubtful about treatments effectiveness, maybe finasteride was good, but his scalp was sensitive to minoxdil.
he can switch brands of treatments, or from liquid to foam minoxidil, and Nizoral shampoo works for some guys.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I would recommend going to a doctor(Derm.) that actually knows something about hair loss. I would even call in advance just to make sure you don't waste your time and money seeing a doctor that doesn't know what he or she is talking about. I wasted time and money seeing two that didn't have a clue about hair loss or how to treat it.

My non professional opinion, it could be due to stress, but I doubt it. Something genetic going on and it is pretty aggressive as it is even thinning the sides and back of his head.

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The best advice is this point is to tell your son to get on finasteride and stick it out for a good 2 years before he quits, even better dutasteride. Try it without the minoxidil because that could have been causing an eternal shed. There really is nowhere to go from here other than finasteride or dutasteride but he has to be willing to stick with it.

In regards to stress, whilst it can cause shedding events and accelerate male pattern baldness, it is unfortunately genes that determine the rate at which hair thins more than anything.

MattsMom

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does your husband or Father have Male pattern baldness? If so what age did it start?[/QUOTE]

My husband's hair is thinning a little, now that he's in his mid-50's. My father started noticeably losing hair in his late 60's. Every male cousin around his age (on both sides) still has a full set of hair. That's what is so confusing!

MattsMom

My Regimen
Reaction score
IMO, it's better to be on one treatmet for a while so you can tell which one is working for you, I mean getting on finasteride and minoxidil will make you doubtful about treatments effectiveness, maybe finasteride was good, but his scalp was sensitive to minoxdil.
he can switch brands of treatments, or from liquid to foam minoxidil, and Nizoral shampoo works for some guys.
Thank you for your help! I'll let him know what you've suggested. :)

MattsMom

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would recommend going to a doctor(Derm.) that actually knows something about hair loss. I would even call in advance just to make sure you don't waste your time and money seeing a doctor that doesn't know what he or she is talking about. I wasted time and money seeing two that didn't have a clue about hair loss or how to treat it.

My non professional opinion, it could be due to stress, but I doubt it. Something genetic going on and it is pretty aggressive as it is even thinning the sides and back of his head.
He's gone to several dermatologists and mds about this, including the University of Minnesota. They finally performed a scalp biopsy and found mixed results. The doctor told him at the time (about 2 years ago) that he had mild thinning, but she didn't think he'd go bald. She was a young intern then, so I don't know if she knew what she was talking about.

I just texted my son to get more clarification on this. I'll update you if I find more things out. Thanks so much for replying to my post! I appreciate it so very much!

MattsMom

My Regimen
Reaction score
He actually lost so much hair on finasteride at the end, that he swore he'd never go on it again! Whatever is in it seems to exasperated his hair loss, not helped it. He tried Monoxidil alone for a time, too. It didn't help any.

MattsMom

My Regimen
Reaction score
The best advice is this point is to tell your son to get on finasteride and stick it out for a good 2 years before he quits, even better dutasteride. Try it without the minoxidil because that could have been causing an eternal shed. There really is nowhere to go from here other than finasteride or dutasteride but he has to be willing to stick with it.

In regards to stress, whilst it can cause shedding events and accelerate male pattern baldness, it is unfortunately genes that determine the rate at which hair thins more than anything.
He refuses to try finasteride again because it actually caused more harm then good. He had a massive shed that he never recovered from, and he's afraid to try anything like that again. I don't blame him - neither would I. Thanks for your suggestions, anyway!

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could you please tell me what DUPA is? The only thing I could find was that it meant A**. Sorry, I'm new at this...
DUPA is diffused unpatterned alopecia. It is a rarer type of androgenic alopecia, and it causes hair loss all over the scalp, including the donor areas (back/sides of head). It usually occurs more rapidly and doesn't have the typical hairline recession and crown thinning. Instead there is thinning all over. It is still male pattern baldness, but it is more difficult to treat because hair transplants aren't an option.

DUPA also causes similar hair loss to to other conditions so I would have him get checked for any hormonal changes/abnormalities. Should get an Expanded Male Hormone Panel, and also get T3, T3RU, T4, and TSH tested to look for thyroid problems.

If it is just male pattern baldness then the only other treatment option would be dutasteride. Given his very bad reaction to finasteride it most likely won't work, but it is impossible to say. It isn't FDA approved for hair loss, but it is pretty easy to get a prescription online and sent to your local pharmacy for pick up.

MattsMom

My Regimen
Reaction score
DUPA is diffused unpatterned alopecia. It is a rarer type of androgenic alopecia, and it causes hair loss all over the scalp, including the donor areas (back/sides of head). It usually occurs more rapidly and doesn't have the typical hairline recession and crown thinning. Instead there is thinning all over. It is still male pattern baldness, but it is more difficult to treat because hair transplants aren't an option.

DUPA also causes similar hair loss to to other conditions so I would have him get checked for any hormonal changes/abnormalities. Should get an Expanded Male Hormone Panel, and also get T3, T3RU, T4, and TSH tested to look for thyroid problems.

If it is just male pattern baldness then the only other treatment option would be dutasteride. Given his very bad reaction to finasteride it most likely won't work, but it is impossible to say. It isn't FDA approved for hair loss, but it is pretty easy to get a prescription online and sent to your local pharmacy for pick up.

Yikes! I'm hoping it's a thyroid problem and not DUPA, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when it comes. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me. I really appreciate it!

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
My husband's hair is thinning a little, now that he's in his mid-50's. My father started noticeably losing hair in his late 60's. Every male cousin around his age (on both sides) still has a full set of hair. That's what is so confusing!

What's known as privileged balders around here :D

It's good you're trying to be proactive for him. I think my mom is still in denial that I have hair loss or that male pattern baldness is a problem

MattsMom

My Regimen
Reaction score
at least u r supportive my mom was like this son its just hair ...
Don't get to down on your mom. We're good at minimizing problems when we think that will help. I did my share of it early on. Now I'm just looking for answers. We can't fight something if we don't know what it is.

MattsMom

My Regimen
Reaction score
What's known as privileged balders around here :D

It's good you're trying to be proactive for him. I think my mom is still in denial that I have hair loss or that male pattern baldness is a problem
I see what this is doing to him and my heart aches. Your mom probably feels the same way, but chooses to minimize the problem. We do that as moms when we don't know what to do sometimes.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does your husband or Father have Male pattern baldness? If so what age did it start?

My husband's hair is thinning a little, now that he's in his mid-50's. My father started noticeably losing hair in his late 60's. Every male cousin around his age (on both sides) still has a full set of hair. That's what is so confusing![/QUOTE]

He's gone to several dermatologists and mds about this, including the University of Minnesota. They finally performed a scalp biopsy and found mixed results. The doctor told him at the time (about 2 years ago) that he had mild thinning, but she didn't think he'd go bald. She was a young intern then, so I don't know if she knew what she was talking about.

I just texted my son to get more clarification on this. I'll update you if I find more things out. Thanks so much for replying to my post! I appreciate it so very much!

Okay try to get a copy of the actual biopsy report if you can or if you have it to see 'what' the derma pathologist actually wrote on the report. Try and see if any inflamation was present and the life cycle of the hair bulbs ratio if they wrote that...
You can probably still request it from the Dr or lab if you don't have a copy.
If you are unhappy with the report--you can request those actual samples (if you are in USA) to go to another Dr/lab you wish..they belong to you/your son if they still have them on file.

also try to ask you son to take notice the color of the hair bulbs that are shedding.
this sometimes can be a good indicator between the types of alopecia...everyone should have some white bulbs because that is the end of a hair cycle--but fi all of them are white that is androgenic (i believe don't know not a Dr of course) if a lot of them are brown/blonde etc then its most likely something else going on either Telogen Effluvium or Areata or something biological with his thyroid or nutrition--we don't get much of that here but of course its possible.

Don't get hopes up though because from my time on this site it is not often men have balding or thinning which is not male pattern--but unless you, your own Mother or mother in law had excessive thinning young it sounds unusual to me since men in family don't have it.
One of the hardest parts of hair loss is the ups/downs when you don't know for sure what is causing it. I went through that in the Fall and it felt like a nervous breakdown almost. Once you 'know' your diagnosis and what to do its at least focus on 'what' can you do.

we have some more science/research guys on thread once you get the report they may be able to give sone input.
But I would suggest trying to find a really good alopecia dermatologist..If you live in NY tristate area I can give you some names..some of the dermatologists Columbia Presbyterian are really good diagnostics.

Okay I see you wrote Minnesota..I know or a good alopecia dermatologists Dr in Ohio, pennsylvani aand NY a few in NY..I don't know of in Minnesota but we can tell you what to ask or look for in a Doctor when/if you go to someone else.
You can also try an Endocrinologist to make sure he has no thyroid or other hormone issue.

Dsport

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Forget family hair genetics interpretation. These things skip, and seem random.

You need a real expert derm and maybe hormone Doctor who has experience.

If duast doesn't help, then at least save the crown.

Then do a transplant with as much donor as possible