stress may be a big factor

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey guys, just thought i'd post another random theory that i had about male pattern baldness. its based on my observation of my medschool class. some might consider this to be a stressful four years of life, and no doubt it is for me, but the thing is the pool of people in my class are mostly 23-25 and there are seriously only like ten guys, out of 80 something that don't have some thinning going on. its amazing, i'd say i have more hair than at least 70 percent of the guys in my class. then i go out into the 'real world' pool, and it seems like everyone has a full head and i'm some mutant. stress = male pattern baldness? coincidence?

G

It may have an influence but it's normally temporary and grows back.

The Rock

Established Member
Reaction score
well according to that EVERY pro athelte should be bald........if thats not pressure, granted u m.j. faced the greatest pressure and he's bald.....but derek jeter has a naturually high hairline and he's fine..........so i dunno.........i squat 500 lbs and bench over 300 and im 195, and in my first semester of college......and losing my hair, if there's not pressure all around there i dunno what is

juststarting

Established Member
Reaction score
Cortisone. Stress hormone recks havock throughtout your body.However, de (nile) isn't just a river in Egypt :) If you think your hair is going, you are probably correct as only you truly can tell at the early stages. Get on propecia and see if you can slow the progression.

Also, to the OP. Remember, that the numbers for male pattern baldness is like 20% in their 20s get male pattern baldness, then in their 30s another like 40%?) of the remaining 80% start getting male pattern baldness. Your observations sound right on target. :(

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Rock said:
well according to that EVERY pro athelte should be bald........if thats not pressure, granted u m.j. faced the greatest pressure and he's bald.....but derek jeter has a naturually high hairline and he's fine..........so i dunno.........i squat 500 lbs and bench over 300 and im 195, and in my first semester of college......and losing my hair, if there's not pressure all around there i dunno what is

The rock has a good point.

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Trent, I think that you're onto something here. I've also got a friend that is in medschool and he says that it's anything but relaxing:( Different occupations/careers I think are more likely to evidence of male pattern baldness. I dunno but have you noticed how computer geeks tend to be the ones with alot of shedding (I don't want to make a sweeping over generalization here)? But if you have ever tried to set up an office or home wireless network, I'd be amazed that you'd have any hair left. You'd be too busy pulling it out in frustration 8)

johnboy

Reaction score
Trent I think it is very interesting that stress from a rigorous academic program can be a great cause for hairloss. I am a junior in college and plan on applying to dental school in 1 year and the stress has been overwhelming for me. For the last two years it has been one big mind f***. School, sometimes is the saving grace for me not going insane over hairloss. This is very sad, but I guess its posititive in a half full glass kind of way. Got to go

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Researchers from the University of Maryland School of Medicine in Baltimore compared the effects of watching funny and stressful films.

Stress caused blood flow to slow by around 35%, but laughter increased it by around 22%, they told the American College of Cardiology. The US team studied 20 healthy, non-smoking volunteers, with an average age of 33. They watched either a segment of a film which would cause mental stress, such as the opening part of Saving Private Ryan, or a segment of a film which would make them laugh, such as King Pin. At least 48 hours later, they were shown a film which would cause the opposite effect to the first.

Before watching each film, the volunteers fasted overnight and were tested to see how well blood vessels in the brachial artery in the arm responded to a sudden increase in blood flow, in a test called a flow-mediated vasodilation. Volunteers watched a 15-minute segment of the film while lying down in a temperature-controlled room. After the film was shown, their blood vessels were tested again.

No difference was seen in blood vessel dilation between the two groups before they watched the films. But brachial artery flow was reduced in 14 of the 20 volunteers following the film clips that caused mental stress. In contrast, beneficial blood vessel relaxation, or vasodilation, was increased in 19 of the 20 volunteers after they watched the film segments that generated laughter.

The researchers suggested laughter caused the tissue that forms the inner lining of blood vessels, the endothelium, to expand in order to increase blood flow. The endothelium is known to have a powerful effect on blood vessel tone and regulates blood flow, adjusts coagulation and blood thickening, and secretes chemicals and other substances in response to wounds, infections or irritation. It also plays an important role in the development of cardiovascular disease. Impairment of the function of the lining of blood vessels is an early sign of cardiovascular problems.

Hormone levels

Michael Miller, director of preventive cardiology at the University of Maryland Medical Center, who led the research, said: "The endothelium is the first line in the development of atherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries, so, given the results of our study, it is conceivable that laughing may be important to maintain a healthy endothelium, and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.

"At the very least, laughter offsets the impact of mental stress, which is harmful to the endothelium." He added: "Thirty minutes of exercise three times a week, and 15 minutes of laughter on a daily basis is probably good for the vascular system."

Professor Andrew Steptoe, British Heart Foundation Professor of Psychology at University College London, said: "The results of this study are interesting but not unexpected. There is increasing scientific interest in the possibility that positive emotional states are beneficial to health. If this is the case, we need to understand the biological processes involved. We have shown associations between positive emotional states such as happiness and low levels of the stress hormone cortisol, and people with a more positive outlook also appear to be less affected by stressful events. Whether these effects are significant for health remains to be seen."

venomman

Reaction score
gonna_win said:
[quote="The Rock":46003]well according to that EVERY pro athelte should be bald........if thats not pressure, granted u m.j. faced the greatest pressure and he's bald.....but derek jeter has a naturually high hairline and he's fine..........so i dunno.........i squat 500 lbs and bench over 300 and im 195, and in my first semester of college......and losing my hair, if there's not pressure all around there i dunno what is

The rock has a good point.[/quote:46003]

Wrong, most athletes dont stress as much as you people think. THey are rich, they dont give a sh*t. why would they go bald I would have no worries at all if i was a pro athlete.

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
The Rock said:

Rock - thats completely different stress. Physical stress is beneficial to your body (to an extent, you cant overdo it) whereas mental stress is proven, time and time again, to have a very negative impact on your health.

In fact, I'll bet you that the lives of athletes are far less stressful (in mental terms) than those of people who are less active and have greater "stress" in their working environment.

Dont believe me? Do this simple test:

- Run or walk at least 2 miles every day for a month. Pay attention to how well you sleep. How your general sense of well being is.

then

-Commit to innactivity (dont run or walk those dedicated 2 miles per day) the following month and consider how well you sleep at night. How you feel each day.

I'll bet anything in the world that if there were a scientific study done on your circulation and what not, you'd find the latter month would deliver much greater stress on your body and mind.

The Rock

Established Member
Reaction score
I doubt thats right, so that would mean that someone like o.j. should be really bald since he isn't as active and was under trial for killing 2 people...........stress is gonna have an impact no matt what the circumstance and ur gonna lose your hair no matter what if ur gonna lose it......stress or no stress.....IF it is male pattern baldness if not then thats something different.........like take roger maris his hair was falling out form the stress of both playing and the media....but it grew back.....odds are like T.E. or something NOT male pattern baldness..........so even if htis stress makes ur hair fall out it will grow back unless it is male pattern baldness.

Stress effects your life obviously but does not "trigger" male pattern baldness that i can't agree with.

pleasegodno

Established Member
Reaction score
it can accelerate the process--i.e. make you lose it earlier and faster than you would under normal circumstances.