stress = hairloss?

jfrank

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation.. I started propecia about 7 months ago.. I had some diffuse loss of the crown that i wanted to fix.. Two weeks into propecia, i lost my perfect hairline in about 3 weeks... I obviously freaked, but decided to give it a chance.. For the next few month, my hairline did not improve, but gradually worsened.. (I was measuring and saw my temples were thinning rapidly towards for poor hairline) However, my diffuse thinning appeared to get a little better..

Now, i am about to start my 8th month of finasteride.. In the past few weeks, i have been losing so much hair its unbeleivable.. I dont count hairs, but i look in the mirror and notice BIG changes.. I even had to cover up my mirrors again.. also accompanying the shed is the dreaded itch which i cant get rid off.. I dont know what to do.. So my question is this, do u think stress is playing a factor here? I have been stressed in these situations.. please give me some advice.. im on the end of my rope.. last year i still had good hair.. even last january my hair was thick.. what is going on?

minoxidil 3 years
nizoral 7 months
Propecia 7 months
Folligen 8 months
spironolactone 2% 2 weeks
tsal and tgel

jeffsss

Reaction score
yes stress can cause hair loss.

I noticed that my hairline has gone pretty far back too. but i dont think it's from propecia, it's from male pattern baldness.

do you have a pic from last jan and now?? 10 months is a short time to lose as much hair as your claiming.

jfrank

Established Member
Reaction score
how do i post pics? I just found a picture of my hair taken this past april... I really do think i am suffered from Telogen Effluvium or something... propecia should NOT make you go bald!!!!!! but thats what happened to me

jeffsss

Reaction score
jfrank said:
how do i post pics? I just found a picture of my hair taken this past april... I really do this i suffered from Telogen Effluvium or something... propecia should NOT make you go bald!!!!!! but thats what happened to me

photobucket.com
or imageshack.com

imageshack.com is real easy.

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
Exactly the same thing has happend to me in a year had thick hair this time last year and ive shed hair constantly to recently when the shedding went back to normal to leave the whole top of my head very thin leaving the dreaded horse shoe pattern.I was freaking out thinking this cant happen in just under a year and was told it was Telogen Effluvium before the horse shoe pattern became visable.When i noticed the horseshoe pattern I went back for a second opinion and was told again its Telogen Effluvium i wasnt convinced but neither did i want to start propecia or regaine.Now im in a totally different situation regrowth has grown through my centre parting and has filled in so has other areas a few areas are a bit sparse but the regrowth is sprouting up.so the answer is can it be Telogen Effluvium in my case it was however in your case could it be Telogen Effluvium yes it could well be however Telogen Effluvium can also bring on male pattern baldness so it could be either or both.Telogen Effluvium is nothing more than a waiting game regrowth is slow to comeback and its a gamble either you jump on propecia or take a gamble and wait a bit to see if it improves by itself.I was lucky i waited and it seemed to of paid off.

jfrank

Established Member
Reaction score
Very nice.. How long did it take you to recover from your Telogen Effluvium??? I went to see a derm, and she told me i had a touch of Telogen Effluvium... that was 5 months ago... now, i think i have it again.... i almost have no hair left on my hailine (which was think 7 months agO)

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
Its been 12 months now and only recently have i noticed the improvement.It isnt back to the thickness it was but its getting there slowly.

jfrank

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to post a recent pic of my hair soon... taking the picture was a hard thing for me to do, since i cant belive the state of my hair....

no one loses this much hair in less than a year.. (more like 8 months)... please i need feedback on this...

jfrank

Established Member
Reaction score
also, how did you keep your cool this whole time mickey? it kills me the most that i have cosmetically different looking wrose in only 2 weeks... I'm nearly ba;d now... ull see the pic...

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
Mickey said:
Exactly the same thing has happend to me in a year had thick hair this time last year and ive shed hair constantly to recently when the shedding went back to normal to leave the whole top of my head very thin leaving the dreaded horse shoe pattern.I was freaking out thinking this cant happen in just under a year and was told it was Telogen Effluvium before the horse shoe pattern became visable.When i noticed the horseshoe pattern I went back for a second opinion and was told again its Telogen Effluvium i wasnt convinced but neither did i want to start propecia or regaine.Now im in a totally different situation regrowth has grown through my centre parting and has filled in so has other areas a few areas are a bit sparse but the regrowth is sprouting up.so the answer is can it be Telogen Effluvium in my case it was however in your case could it be Telogen Effluvium yes it could well be however Telogen Effluvium can also bring on male pattern baldness so it could be either or both.Telogen Effluvium is nothing more than a waiting game regrowth is slow to comeback and its a gamble either you jump on propecia or take a gamble and wait a bit to see if it improves by itself.I was lucky i waited and it seemed to of paid off.

I'm not sure I understand your post entirely; it was a bit difficult for me to follow. Are you saying you never used propecia and rogaine?

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
also, how did you keep your cool this whole time mickey? it kills me the most that i have cosmetically different looking wrose in only 2 weeks... I'm nearly ba;d now... ull see the pic...

It was hard i kept looking in the mirror and seeing it get thinner and thinner from 1 week to the next it just got worse and worse.Even though i was told it was Telogen Effluvium twice i wasnt really convinced but i kept telling myself its only tempory and that was the only thought that kept me sane.

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
Mickey said:

I'm not sure I understand your post entirely; it was a bit difficult for me to follow. Are you saying you never used propecia and rogaine?

No never have i touched Propecia or regaine just vitamins.

jfrank

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw my derm in May.. she told me it was male pattern baldness (because of the symetry) and a touch of Telogen Effluvium..

While i was there, she also told me that my scalp was all red and inflamed and she treated it with some streroid comp..

during the summer, my hair loss slowed down.. but now it has accellerated to painful... and its funny how that happens when im in grad school (a very stressful environment)

I dont know what to do... without finasteride, i was shedding diffusely... with finasteride, i am suffering with male pattern baldness.. what is goin on? Derms wont know sh*t.. i know it has to do with an inflamed scalp cause thats what i have been having..

I am going to wait till i hit the one year mark on finasteride before i deciede to drop it..

jfrank

Established Member
Reaction score
Im guessing no one here wants to take on my issue.. By the way, my hairloss only noticably started when i joined HairLossTalk.com.. that was in april 2005

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude, if you hadn't noticed, hairloss treatments are not an exact science - different strokes for different folks apply here.

A lot of people including myself don't want to believe regular male pattern baldness is at hand and that maybe something else is the culprit - which may be a helpful way to tackle the issue, or unhelpful delusion.

If you're losing hair in the male pattern baldness style (crown, temples, diffuse) then all you can do is try the available treatments and stick with it. Chances are if it is Telogen Effluvium, you should have a fairly good idea of what has caused it, cos more than likely it would be a drastic change in diet, lifestyle or health that you could pinpoint.

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
Frank, I know exactly how it feels to not have the answers. But that's not because nobody cares, it's because that despite what some people profess, we are still a long way from knowing all the mechanisms of hair loss.

One question Jfrank: did the treatment your derm described for scalp inflammation help at all?