Stress + Birth Control Shed - Will It Ever Stop?

Jpu

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello ladies! I could use some words of encouragement or advice about my hair loss situation.

In about the last eight months or so I've lost about a third of my hair. My hairline is receding, my part is huge, I can see my scalp through my hair. It's extremely depressing.
1f622.png
1f62d.png

I've been to my primary and dermotologist to figure out what's going on. My bloodwork came back mostly fine (thyroid was ok) - the only two things were that my vitamin D was really low and my iron was low but still within the range of acceptable. I've started taking supplements.

The dermotologist thinks my hair loss is caused by 3 reasons: stress (things have been really hectic and I've been chronically stressed for months), a change in birth control about three months ago (apparently I was previously on one where the progestin was lower on the androgen scale and switched to one that was much higher on the androgen scale), and also female pattern baldness. He suggested I switch back to the old birth control, start taking viviscal, and using rogaine.

In the past month, I've switched the birth control, started taking viviscal, taking vitamin D and biotin, stopped blow drying and flat ironing my hair altogether, massaging my scalp with castor oil and other essential oils (rosemary, peppermint, cedarwood) once a week, and massaging my scalp near my hairline where the hair loss is really bad for 5-7 minutes every day to help blood flow. I'm trying to stay stress free but my hairloss is causing me more stress.

I'm relatively young - 28 and both my parents have a full head of hair so I'm having a hard time believing it could be female pattern baldness and so I haven't started the rogaine yet.

I'm getting married next year and extremely worried about my hair loss and want my old hair back for pics! the shedding won't stop and I'm losing hair almost every time i touch my hair. I can't leave it down anymore because the hair loss is visible. I keep on checking my scalp for signs of regrowth and don't see any baby hair fuzzies anywhere.

Is there anything else I could be doing to help my hair regrow? Has anyone gone through this? Will my hair grow back?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it was the birth control pills.

which one are you on now? do you know the hormone it is? there is one that is the best but it does have slightly higher risk then the others.

use rogaine, viviscal does not improve hair loss but can probably make your hair grow faster as does biotin..(this is not same thing as hair loss)
If you ferritin is under 70 work with you rDr to get it up there via iron pills...make sure he checks the ferritin ever few months you need ferritin to help the damaged follicle grow better and it also makes treatments more effective--does not cause hair loss but it like handicaps the hair so better to have it in good number..you can google dr George Costarellis and Ferritin and you will find his studies or quotes from his studies on iron and hair.

I think if your parents did not have hair loss its not likely you have andgrogenci as its hereditary...grandparents when young?

Did you get checked for PCOS that can cause androgenic hair loss WITOUT parents..becuase it makes your androgens higher..its a syndrome so its got multiple symptoms you can google..its treatable you just have to figure out if you have it.

If its the birth control pills--this may come back when hormones straighten out.

Jpu

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am on Desogen now which is desogestrel and ethinyl estradiol - the progestin in there is supposed to help with hair loss.

My iron was no where near 70 it was more like in the 20s. I am a vegetarian and so this contributes to the iron problem (yes I know viviscal has fish ingredients, but at this point, I am desperate to try anything)

Grandparents all had hair at the time they passed away. No one was bald.

Have not been tested for PCOS - I will look into this. However, I've never had acne, trouble losing weight, irregular periods or anything like that.

Any idea how long after switching the birth control it will take to start to see regrowth? My hair is still shedding like CRAZY everywhere. It sheds with white bulbs on the roots.

Thank you!

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am on Desogen now which is desogestrel and ethinyl estradiol - the progestin in there is supposed to help with hair loss.

My iron was no where near 70 it was more like in the 20s. I am a vegetarian and so this contributes to the iron problem (yes I know viviscal has fish ingredients, but at this point, I am desperate to try anything)

Grandparents all had hair at the time they passed away. No one was bald.

Have not been tested for PCOS - I will look into this. However, I've never had acne, trouble losing weight, irregular periods or anything like that.

Any idea how long after switching the birth control it will take to start to see regrowth? My hair is still shedding like CRAZY everywhere. It sheds with white bulbs on the roots.

Thank you!

I never did the birth control pills so I cant tell you that....but anything takes months

since you are on birth control you can try spironolactone also.

I dont know what to say wihouth family history i find it odd unless you have elevated testosterone OR it was temporary from old birth control..so it may just take some time.