stress and male pattern baldness

jd_uk

Reaction score
cassin said:
He is saying stress has no factor on DHT.

That was in response to me asking if it increased DHT.

What I am confused about is "Keep in mind that hair loss has other genetic factors that are influenced by environmental factors, and stress is one of the more obvious mechanisms".

He's saying that stress can speed up genetic balding but i don't follow his explanation.

Cassin

Reaction score
You’ve mentioned a few times that stress can increase the rate of balding in those with the genetics for male pattern baldness. Is this scientifically proven?

By what mechanism does this happen or is this not known? (i.e does stress increase levels of DHT?)

thanks

Stress has been observed by many doctors as a cause contributing to the hair loss equation. Keep in mind that hair loss has other genetic factors that are influenced by environmental factors, and stress is one of the more obvious mechanisms. I do not believe stress increases DHT levels.

Is it "environmental factors" that is throwing you off?

Stress is an environmental factors
Diet is an environmental factors
Hair dye is an environmental factors
Chemicals are an environmental factors

etc...

You, jd_uk, are genetically predisposed to male pattern baldness.

Environmental factors like the ones listed above can have an effect on hair regardless of having male pattern baldness. But most people would never notice such an effect.

When you combine male pattern baldness with the above factors it can make it a bit more noticeable.

Does that help?

jd_uk

Reaction score
cassin said:
You’ve mentioned a few times that stress can increase the rate of balding in those with the genetics for male pattern baldness. Is this scientifically proven?

By what mechanism does this happen or is this not known? (i.e does stress increase levels of DHT?)

thanks

[quote:e4ewymg2]Stress has been observed by many doctors as a cause contributing to the hair loss equation. Keep in mind that hair loss has other genetic factors that are influenced by environmental factors, and stress is one of the more obvious mechanisms. I do not believe stress increases DHT levels.

Is it "environmental factors" that is throwing you off?

Stress is an environmental factors
Diet is an environmental factors
Hair dye is an environmental factors
Chemicals are an environmental factors

etc...

You, jd_uk, are genetically predisposed to male pattern baldness.

Environmental factors like the ones listed above can have an effect on hair regardless of having male pattern baldness. But most people would never notice such an effect.

When you combine male pattern baldness with the above factors it can make it a bit more noticeable.

Does that help?[/quote:e4ewymg2]

i think. I just know that he has specifically stated before that stress can speed up the actual genetic hair loss so basically you reach your predetermined final hair pattern quicker than you would have. He has also said that stress can actually trigger the process to happen earlier than it would have done. THat is what confuses me - if it is not by increased hormone levels then how? His response says 'other genetic factors that are influenced by environmental factors (such as stress)'....what are the 'other' genetic factors supposed to be? i dont feel like he properly answered my question - or maybe it's something which is thought to happen but not understood.