Stress and Hairloss - My thoughts backed with data.

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
Johnny you completely missunderstand me and you keep doing it so I guess we are stuck.

However, here goes nothing ....

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2000/100_heal.html
There is no medical reason, either, that look-alike placebo tablets used in a 1997 study of benign enlargement of the prostate gland should have made the study participants feel better. But in this Canadian study, more than half of the men who got the placebo pills reported significant relief from their symptoms, including faster urine flow. Researcher J. Curtis Nickel theorized that the patients' positive expectations of the experimental drug's benefits may have caused therapeutic smooth muscle relaxation by decreasing nerve activity affecting the bladder, prostate and urethra. Study participants on placebo complained of side effects, too (sometimes called the "nocebo" effect), ranging from impotence and reduced sex drive to nausea, diarrhea and constipation.

Johnny,
Androgen sensitivity is not good, because it can cause cancer, and androgen sensitivty is basically the reason behind male pattern baldness-hairloss. Am I wrong? So Androgen sensitivity is not a sort of a sickness?

I nowhere stated that my hairloss was NOT only genetic, I wrote I was unsure , But I even acknowledged it could be, you should have realised that if you had read my article but you didn't read it properly enough.

Regular aerobic exercise can help keep androgen levels (particularly free testosterone levels) naturally lower while maintaining overall health, lowering stress and increasing SHBG. [4] [5]

Weight training without aerobic exercise may increase testosterone. [6]; [7] [8] [9] One study suggests that both heavy exercise and increased fat intake, in combination, are required for increased free testosterone in strength trainers. Increased total or free testosterone would help them build and repair muscle, but may cause susceptible individuals to lose hair. [10]

However, there is at least one study that indicates a decline in free testosterone combined with an increase in strength due to an (unspecified) strength training regime.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldness

I think that you are the one who is holding your only-genetics theory too stiff, and not me.

Now you give me some articles that say that aerobic excercise can't keep androgen levels.

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am actually seeing your theory with clarity. The important distinction is whether baldness is a sickness. Though there are some studies that claim a connection between baldness and heart disease but i have not seen the connection with cancer. Even the heart disease studies I have seen are dubious and at the most only conclude a slight increase in the percentage of heart problems for the millions of men who are balding. Also, I will again say that baldness eventually effect a huge majority of men and I do not think this can be considered a sickness. That being said, the power of the mind is so unpredictable that there is always the possibility that if you believe you will grow hair then you will, but I just disagree.
Baldness is a genetic condition that absolutely can be accelerated of decellerated by lifestyle. Areobic exercise, some shampoos, diet and some natural supplements can counter act or even accelerate the baldness process and I wish we had more people studying these things. The reality is that the medical community, particularly the pharmaceutical industry, is driven by $$ and developing medication for hairloss are more valuable.
There are countless examples of men who live an extremely healthy lifestyle and a shiny dome. They have perfect body fat, mix in both aerobic exercise and weight training, have a great diet and yet they go completely bald.
I am not trying to berate you or your theory I just don't think that things like lifestyle and placebo effects can have anywhere near the impact on your hairloss as combating the sensitivity of your follicles through anti androgen drugs. I also must preface my point by saying that these treatments are not for everyone, can be costly, carry potential side effects and are not even close to 100% effective. It is my opinion that one's rate of baldness is virtually preprogrammed and if you do not want to take a medication to slow down the process then the only thing you can do is try to live a stress free life and have a quality diet in order to slow down the aging process and thus slow down the bodies triggers for the auto immune response.
Finally, I will only say that I have found that many men dwell on their hairloss too much as i was one of them. Now, I accept that I am trying to slow down my hairloss through the use of finasteride, I try to live a healthy lifestyle for my hair and my quality o life in general....then I just forget about it and move on.