Strange, spotty hairloss at the sides and back of my head

Paqua

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I (29yo male) recently found this forum and am very impressed about the collected wisdom here concerning hair loss.

I can't exactly remember when I first noticed the strange hair loss patterns that I want to talk about here for the first time, but I think within the last 1-1.5 years.

In my opinion there are 3 types of different hair loss patterns happening on my head at the same time:

(1. "Normal" male pattern baldness happening at my hairline and temples, which I am not worried about nor I want to discuss here.)

2. Diffuse thinning around my ears, especially at my sideburns. I started noticing this within the last 1.5 years I think.

3. Since about a year ago I notice big, round spots of hair loss at the sides or back of my head from time to time. My scalp in general is quite itchy and pimples also develop quite often. The pattern with these hair loss spots seems so be the following: I notice a completely bald, big spot --> the scalp at the spot becomes red, itchy, swollen and seems to be inflamed --> the inflamation disappears after 1-2 weeks but the bald spot remains. I had a spot in last december where fortunately the hair regrew after a few months. Now it is happening again, 2 spots this time.

I visited a dermatologist last week. She told me it could be a mild case of dermatitis due to my several allergies and prescribed a cortisone lotion which I should apply on the itchy, pimpled areas of my scalp.

The problem is that the spotty hair loss happens first, THEN the inflammation appears, so it is already to late when I could apply the lotion at the area.

Further more, at the area around my ears, especially sideburns, there are no pimples, and the area is still thinning.

I have 2 questions:

1. Does anyone here have any idea why hair loss patterns 2 and 3 are happening and how I could treat these kind of hair losses?

2. The area where thinning and spotty hairloss are happening are also the donor area for a future hair transplant for my male pattern baldness at the hairline and temples. Do you think that the capability/quality of my donor area is affected by this hair loss and if yes, how badly? Should I even consider a transplant with such an "unhealthy" scalp/hair status?

The pictures show:

1. The new, big spot of hair loss.
2. Thinning around my ear.
3. Back of my head today after wearing a hat.
4. Back of my head after showering with wet hair.
20201127_220751_Ausschnitt.jpg

20200911_122525_Ausschnitt.jpg

20201127_214815.jpg
20201127_235246.jpg

Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate

camille leprevost

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello my friend, i am french so i apologise in advance for my english.

I do have the same pattern as you, almost the same age 28, thinning and overall shedding back, side, and top and my hairline is quite not touched actually. I think it is DUPA and it is similar to female pattern hair loss actually.

Some studies showed that high prolactin level can cause hair on side and back to become sensitive to androgen as well. So might be something to dig in. Also annecdotally, it seems that DUPA sufferer are sensitive to DHT but also to Free testosterone in scalp. Apparently DHT seem to cause localised thinning where testosterone cause diffuse thinning.

So If you have been to a dermatologist, i hope she gave you a full bloodwork to do because besides that they are useless, and i am sure she didn't know what you had and told you it is some telogen effluvium, stress related stuff ....

You need to check for :
-nutritionnal defficiency
-metabolism glucidic ((Glucose, insuline sensitivity,)
- full hormonal check : cortisol, LH ,FSH ,Prolactine, E2,17OH progesterone, progesterone, SHBG, testosterone total, free T, androstanediol G6470, delta 4 androstenedione, DHEA-S, DHT ....
- inflamatory syndrom ...

I am going to do a full blood check this friday, so i will send you the result here in 2 weeks if you want. If you have done a full blood work too, it will be great to compare it to check for similitude.

To tell you a bit about myself i started to lose hair all over since 3 years now.
I only started 7 month ago to take 1 mg finasteride daily, but it has thin my hair considerably because of the boost of scalp tesoterone it caused i think. I tried to add different antiandrogen topically such as ru58841 to tackle the rise in T (had to stop due to chest pain , shortness of breath), i used now topical cb0301 30mg/day but it is not enough powerful so it doesn't do sh*t. I am going to try topical bicalutamide now soon as it is a stronger AA and i think we have to fight testoerone as well.
Besides finasteride + cb0301 i don't take any supplement and it didn't stop my shedding at all.

I am curious to know about how much you lose hair per day, what regimen are you on, it seems you use minoxidil, dit it worked on you ? and how you manage to apply it all over your head ?

Also (Will Be an Egg in 5 years) and (Paqua) can you share if anything in your regimen has improved your situation so far or make it worse. Would be great to share info

You can send me a message privately as well.

Looking forward helping each other to solve that sh*t.

Best regard

Will Be an Egg in 5 years

My Regimen
Reaction score

I do have the same pattern as you, almost the same age 28, thinning and overall shedding back, side, and top and my hairline is quite not touched actually. I think it is DUPA and it is similar to female pattern hair loss actually.

Some studies showed that high prolactin level can cause hair on side and back to become sensitive to androgen as well. So might be something to dig in. Also annecdotally, it seems that DUPA sufferer are sensitive to DHT but also to Free testosterone in scalp. Apparently DHT seem to cause localised thinning where testosterone cause diffuse thinning.

So If you have been to a dermatologist, i hope she gave you a full bloodwork to do because besides that they are useless, and i am sure she didn't know what you had and told you it is some telogen effluvium, stress related stuff ....

You need to check for :
- full hormonal check : cortisol, LH ,FSH ,Prolactine, E2,17OH progesterone, progesterone, SHBG, testosterone total, free T, androstanediol G6470, delta 4 androstenedione, DHEA-S, DHT ....

I am going to do a full blood check this friday, so i will send you the result here in 2 weeks if you want. If you have done a full blood work too, it will be great to compare it to check for similitude.

To tell you a bit about myself i started to lose hair all over since 3 years now.
I only started 7 month ago to take 1 mg finasteride daily, but it has thin my hair considerably because of the boost of scalp tesoterone it caused i think. I tried to add different antiandrogen topically such as ru58841 to tackle the rise in T (had to stop due to chest pain , shortness of breath), i used now topical cb0301 30mg/day but it is not enough powerful so it doesn't do sh*t. I am going to try topical bicalutamide now soon as it is a stronger AA and i think we have to fight testoerone as well.
Besides finasteride + cb0301 i don't take any supplement and it didn't stop my shedding at all.

I am curious to know about how much you lose hair per day, what regimen are you on, it seems you use minoxidil, dit it worked on you ? and how you manage to apply it all over your head ?

Also (Will Be an Egg in 5 years) and (Paqua) can you share if anything in your regimen has improved your situation so far or make it worse. Would be great to share info

Best regard
I'm not on any treatment yet. But its interesting to hear that DUPA is actually causes by high T

Paqua

My Regimen
Reaction score

You need to check for :

Best regard
Hi camille,

Thank you for your long answer. Don't worry about your english, I'm not a native speaker either.

I did bloodwork a the dermatologist, but not as comprehensive as you suggest unfortunately. It is very hard to get these tests done in Germany, doctors are not very knowledgable on the topic of hair loss and you have to convince them to test your hormonones for example.

They tested these:

20201206_180743.jpg

They also sent me do an endocrinologist to test my vitamins and thyroid levels but I'm still waiting for the results.

I dont think I have a nutrional deficiency since I live quite healthy, but you can never know. For the hormone checkup I dont know how to get a proper one in germany. Not even the endocrinologist seemed to think it is neccessary to test these.

Right now I'm losing hair at the hairline (like 1-3 hairs every time I go through this area with my hand) and it seems like this area is thinning.
I'm using minoxidil at the hairline and Nizoral shampoo and Neutrogena T-gel shampoo. It seems like the shampoos have reduced the itching on my scalp a bit and at least there are no new inflamed, bald spots at my sided or neck.

I have an appointment at another dermatologist tomorrow and 2 at different dermatologists in February, I will keep you updated.

camille leprevost

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I got this reply from a labs to get tested my bicalutamide.

"Dear,
Here is our proposal :
1) H-NMR for general structural confirmation
340 Euro, but only structural confirmation (no elucidaton of the structure when it turns out to be something else)
2) Mass spectrometry for molecular mass confirmation
510 Euro
3) NMR purity testing for approximation of purity (optional)
340 Euro"

It seem to me very expensive, is it the correct price ?? is there any labs cheaper or maybe cheaper test to try to be sure it is my coumpound
thanks for your help

Topher

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
no i don't why ? i am intolerant to gluten, so it is rice for the most part, on the morning i eat flaxseed.
Some people are sensitive to Glyphosate which is in all wheat products. It seems like an immune response, but that's what your derm probably figured too. What strength of RU did you use?

camille leprevost

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
try ru58841 at the standard dosage, 50mg, got chest pain and lung issue, reduced the dosage to 5mg per day and get breathing issue sort of after 2 weeks. so had to stop it

DO you know what we should look for as a test or blood work to know if we have an immune response or something ?

Topher

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I see, I'm using 2.5% it works good for me. But I'm lucky when it comes to sides. Not really, I'm not a dermatologist. I know a few years ago I read people have had luck with Immunosuppressant drugs, but this is extremely risky.

camille leprevost

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
but do you have dupa yourself ?
I see, I'm using 2.5% it works good for me. But I'm lucky when it comes to sides. Not really, I'm not a dermatologist. I know a few years ago I read people have had luck with Immunosuppressant drugs, but this is extremely risky.

Burnerboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
try ru58841 at the standard dosage, 50mg, got chest pain and lung issue, reduced the dosage to 5mg per day and get breathing issue sort of after 2 weeks. so had to stop it

DO you know what we should look for as a test or blood work to know if we have an immune response or something ?
How long did it take ur chest pain to go away?