strange side-effects on 5mg finasteride, none so far on 1mg finasteride...

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
I ignored the hair loss for about two or three years, until it started falling out really fast. I started finasteride in 2/2007. I'm having very good results with 1mg finasteride (Finpecia from UP). My hair stopped falling out entirely, and it feels stronger than it did.

5mg finasteride gave me puffy breasts (the fat distribution moved to my breasts in literally a week -- it was undeniable), and turned me into a hormonal basket case. It was very noticeable (someone else actually pointed out the moodiness). I also noticed my body hair reduced a lot (my body hairs seem about 50% shorter), even on the 1mg finasteride. The body hair loss didn't become noticeable until a couple months in. It doesn't bother me, except it makes me think that maybe I'm much more sensitive than most.

I switched back to 1mg finasteride, but after my experience with 5mg finasteride I have really cold feet about switching to 0.5mg dutasteride (to help with the temples). 1mg finasteride has worked well... I've had 100% maintenance and some regrowth, but not as much in the temple areas as I would like. It seems to primarily thicken hair that is already there.

Anyway, for anyone using Proscar, keep a close eye on the moobs. I'm 20, which is much younger than the studies on Proscar. It is possible that younger people are much more vulnerable to getting moobs from finasteride than older people.

The feeling on 5mg finasteride was very weird, and difficult to describe. Has anyone else had a very high sensitivity to finasteride? I'm thinking of getting blood tests done. I also have a script for Adderall -- it could be some weird interaction between the two. Adderall isn't prescribed to many adults, and I doubt many people in the trials were taking it.

Pondle

Reaction score
It's very odd that you should react so badly to 5mg of finasteride, and yet tolerate 1mg... they inhibit very similar proportions of DHT.

Fincurve.jpg

CCS reckons that gyno issues associated with finasteride are most common in overweight men, because they have more estrogen anyway. Guys who are in shape should rarely have problems. Interestingly, the Propecia trials found no difference in gyno incidence between the treatment and placebo groups.

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
While it maybe true the DHT suppression is about the same, the side-effect profile is not. Check side-effects % for Proscar vs Propecia.

chef3

Reaction score
Where can I check the side-effects % for Proscar vs Propecia? is it in this site or what ?

Thanks.

Pondle

Reaction score
paximperia said:
While it maybe true the DHT suppression is about the same, the side-effect profile is not. Check side-effects % for Proscar vs Propecia.

Yeah but that's a misleading comparison, because the Proscar trial group was on average older than the Propecia. Younger guys get hair loss, but not BPH.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Pondle said:
It's very odd that you should react so badly to 5mg of finasteride, and yet tolerate 1mg... they inhibit very similar proportions of DHT.

Don't forget that graph was drawn using -blood- DHT levels. There is data for this, although much more variable (hence not likely to be published).

Pondle

Reaction score
ginger-uk said:
chef3 said:
Where can I check the side-effects % for Proscar vs Propecia? is it in this site or what ?

Thanks.

Great question!!

You can't do that accurately, because the trial groups for Proscar and Propecia differed significantly in age composition. Therefore it's not a fair comparison.