Strange Minoxidil Story + Theory And Questions

Zoobop

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will try to keep this as streamlined and short as possible - nothing is exaggerated. Here is my story with theories and questions that I would love any input on moving forward.

2011 - I begin to suspect diffused hair thinning. I have shoulder length hair
2014 - Cut hair short - seems fine. No treatment yet
9/15 - Buzz hair. Considerably thinner all around with hairline receded about half an inch. Begin liquid minoxidil (applied twice a day without ever missing an application) - I however do not massage or rub it in, rather simply drop and let dry. Idiotic I know. Shortly afterwards I begin using Nizoral 2-3 times a week as well.
3/16 - Incredible regrowth. Hairline restored and overall hair thickness nearly restored entirely. Very unexpected. Scalp however flaking quite badly. My girlfriend would find flakes as large as fingernails. Periodic points over the next few months the scalp was also mind boggling itchy.
6/16 - Hair has begun to shed and thin diffusely. Hairline recedes slightly. I suspect the minoxidil is being over applied and because it is not being rubbed in, it has built up dried deposits on my scalp that won't allow new minoxidil to seep through, even with heavy washing with Nizoral.
7/16 - I take a 5 day break from applying, washing my scalp thoroughly several times, getting rid of many, many flakes. Scalp seems happier. I begin applying only once a day and rubbing in thoroughly.
10/16 - Hair thickening again, and over the month or so returns back to about 60% of where it had been around 3/16. Stabilizes. Scalp much healthier with only tiny, few flakes here and there sometimes.
1/17 - Slowly diffusely thinning again with hairline receding, creeping back to where it was in 9/15. At the end of the month I start on Finasteride - something I should have started doing right away long ago.
6/17 - Further slight thinning and what may be shedding. Now seems to have stabilized. About where I started in 9/15. No regrowth yet. I still apply minoxidil once a day in the evening and use Nizoral 2-3 times a week, never missing a beat for anything.

I am curious about the following:
1.) Does my theory on the buildup of minoxidil not allowing new applications absorb to my scalp actually make sense?
2.) If the hair follicles (particularly those at my front hairline) regrew so quickly and responded so well from starting minoxidil, and it was only a little over a year ago, can I hope they may regrow back now that I am using Finasteride? It was those little black hairs that sprouted where literally no hair was before. My hope is that because it was still recent enough there is a chance.
3.) Has my overall thinning again simply been because I was not on Finasteride or did I also blow up my scalp by letting it get so incredibly flaky/itchy/irritated by not rubbing in the minoxidil thoroughly?
4.) Can I hope for regrowth with only applying minoxidil once a day still? I know they usually say once is for maintenance, twice for regrowth, but I fear it will dry my scalp out too much and cause the flaking and irritation again.

PS - if it is useful to know, I am 26 years old.

Thanks all for any input!

Hairmess

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will try to keep this as streamlined and short as possible - nothing is exaggerated. Here is my story with theories and questions that I would love any input on moving forward.

2011 - I begin to suspect diffused hair thinning. I have shoulder length hair
2014 - Cut hair short - seems fine. No treatment yet
9/15 - Buzz hair. Considerably thinner all around with hairline receded about half an inch. Begin liquid minoxidil (applied twice a day without ever missing an application) - I however do not massage or rub it in, rather simply drop and let dry. Idiotic I know. Shortly afterwards I begin using Nizoral 2-3 times a week as well.
3/16 - Incredible regrowth. Hairline restored and overall hair thickness nearly restored entirely. Very unexpected. Scalp however flaking quite badly. My girlfriend would find flakes as large as fingernails. Periodic points over the next few months the scalp was also mind boggling itchy.
6/16 - Hair has begun to shed and thin diffusely. Hairline recedes slightly. I suspect the minoxidil is being over applied and because it is not being rubbed in, it has built up dried deposits on my scalp that won't allow new minoxidil to seep through, even with heavy washing with Nizoral.
7/16 - I take a 5 day break from applying, washing my scalp thoroughly several times, getting rid of many, many flakes. Scalp seems happier. I begin applying only once a day and rubbing in thoroughly.
10/16 - Hair thickening again, and over the month or so returns back to about 60% of where it had been around 3/16. Stabilizes. Scalp much healthier with only tiny, few flakes here and there sometimes.
1/17 - Slowly diffusely thinning again with hairline receding, creeping back to where it was in 9/15. At the end of the month I start on Finasteride - something I should have started doing right away long ago.
6/17 - Further slight thinning and what may be shedding. Now seems to have stabilized. About where I started in 9/15. No regrowth yet. I still apply minoxidil once a day in the evening and use Nizoral 2-3 times a week, never missing a beat for anything.

I am curious about the following:
1.) Does my theory on the buildup of minoxidil not allowing new applications absorb to my scalp actually make sense?
2.) If the hair follicles (particularly those at my front hairline) regrew so quickly and responded so well from starting minoxidil, and it was only a little over a year ago, can I hope they may regrow back now that I am using Finasteride? It was those little black hairs that sprouted where literally no hair was before. My hope is that because it was still recent enough there is a chance.
3.) Has my overall thinning again simply been because I was not on Finasteride or did I also blow up my scalp by letting it get so incredibly flaky/itchy/irritated by not rubbing in the minoxidil thoroughly?
4.) Can I hope for regrowth with only applying minoxidil once a day still? I know they usually say once is for maintenance, twice for regrowth, but I fear it will dry my scalp out too much and cause the flaking and irritation again.

PS - if it is useful to know, I am 26 years old.

Thanks all for any input!

Hair does grow/shed in cycles and I've read a lot of people experience another round of shedding months later after the initial shed. I have just started rogaine for just about a month and I am experiencing a crazy shed! Hope it subsides and I get some awesome growth. Anyways, in regards to your scalp. Inflammation is definitely not going to help with your hair growth. Maybe switching to the foam minoxidil with help. The liquid contains propylene glycol which is shown to cause irritation in many users. The foam doesn't contain that so maybe that will help with the flakes and inflammation. I wouldn't switch to once a day if you've been using it twice. This might cause more shedding and hair loss. Use nizoral or a shampoo that contains zinc to keep inflammation under control. Sorry I can add anything about the finasteride as I have no clue.

el_storm

Reaction score
For number 1, I began to suspect the same thing. No matter how much I washed my hair, I still had flakes. And it wasnt my scalp, it was the minoxidil drying I always felt that those huge flakes were getting in the way of absorption, so now I switched to foam. Dries sooo fast and less messy and greasy.

Zoobop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Who says this?

Haha, I had read it several times lurking on these forums, but perhaps there is no basis behind it. At that point where just seems the minoxidil is not doing anything, as all the hairs it did regrow are gone, and all my hair still here has been strengthened by Finasteride.

I have three more bottles to finish, so I will continue applying until these are done, then I think it is time to perhaps switch to foam or stop completely. Is stopping outright really such a terrible idea if I continue finasteride and Nizoral regularly?