Strange Hair Loss In Eyebrows - Sebum Plugs In Follicles

LadyDay

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a 27 year old female and I've been experiencing some strange hair loss in my eyebrows for the past 6 months to a year. I have always been pretty healthy aside from some mild acne issues, although I suspect I have a few food intolerances which I'm trying to deal with (being really careful about what I eat so I can heal my gut). I've always had really thick eyebrow hairs. Now it's as if my hair follicles are weakening or something, because my eyebrows have been sort of patchy for a while, but it didn't really concern me and would just fill it in with a pencil. Within the past month it has been pretty bad.. to the point where it's really affecting my self esteem and making me worried about my health.

The hairs seem to be falling out faster than they can grow back. It's falling out in a diffuse pattern, as in they're just getting more and more sparse rather than falling out in chunks (it's especially noticeable towards the inside of the brows though). There is some new growth in some spots which is relieving, but some of the new hairs are really thin and brittle and they just end up falling out too. All of the hairs that fall out either look like they have white pus attached to them or nothing at all (no root on the baby hairs that fall out). There are also sebum plugs in some of the follicles where the hair hasnt grown back yet. They're quite itchy and bumpy but the bumps are not red or inflamed.

I am thinking it might be a yeast or bacterial infection of the follicles. I just got my IUD out after three months of having it because it was giving me cystic acne along my jawline. I was having eyebrow loss before I got the IUD, but it got a lot worse after. I think the hair loss is probably linked to a hormonal imbalance.

I have an appointment with a dermatologist next month, so hopefully I can figure this out. If anyone has any experience with any of these symptoms, or advice, please let me know.