Storing back-up hair systems: can you just leave them in a box?

Nuntius

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I've had a hair system for three months now and am thinking of getting a second one and then using the one I have now as backup in case something goes wrong. What I'm not sure about is: can I just wash the "old" (i.e. current) system, spray it with leave-in conditioner and leave it in a box? Or do I have to keep spraying it with conditioner; perhaps once a week (?) And how long can a system stay in a box and still be ready to use if needed? I don't want to run the full term with the current system so that it would be usable just in case; but as I say, I'm just not sure how long a backup can be kept (assuming it's in a dry cardboard box with a lid, and whether any on-going conditioner is still needed. I'd be very grateful for guidance from any experienced users here and go know whether they do anything else to keep the system in good shape. (I have another question which I will post separately). Many thanks.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't spray it. The leave-in conditioner has water in it. Just seal it in a ziplock bag, and put it in a dark place where it won't get crushed. In the bag, in the box, in a cupboard.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
They can be good without degrading for a few years - in my personal experience. I had used some 3 years old from my personal stock. Keep them stored as above and check now and then

Nuntius

My Regimen
Reaction score
They can be good without degrading for a few years - in my personal experience. I had used some 3 years old from my personal stock. Keep them stored as above and check now and then
I should have mentioned that my system is a mixture of bio and synthetic. Not sure if that makes a difference in terms of whether or not to spray with leave in conditioner. I assume not..i.e. it should still be stored "dry", as it were.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I should have mentioned that my system is a mixture of bio and synthetic. Not sure if that makes a difference in terms of whether or not to spray with leave in conditioner. I assume not..i.e. it should still be stored "dry", as it were.
Doesn't matter. If the system is fresh from the factory, it should have some silicone spray on it. Otherwise, anything you use will have water on it, water + sealed bag = mold. This will make the system useless.

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used an old unit that had been in a box for several years. It was fine. It was cleaned, dried and placed in a box before I had stored it.