Stopping Usage Of finasteride After 8 Years Due To Sudden Onset Of Sides - What Are My Other Options?

Jj42

My Regimen
Reaction score
Given that I had a random onset of sides, I was advised to stop usage of finasteride by my doctor. No issue there, overall I'd rather still be reproductively healthy over having hair from finasteride and if I'm getting sides, staying on it longer will only make things worse for me.

This isn't a bitching post - the odds of anything long term are incredibly low so I'm not concerned, and I'm young so I can fix these things.

However, my question is, what are my topical options? Shampoos/etc. as suggestions are welcome. I'm currently using Rogaine, 2mL, 1x daily, and backed off the finasteride.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'd rather stick with topical since these sides might not be related to finasteride (we're eliminating that to see, and I got bloodwork done), and I wouldn't want other potential supplements to muddy the waters.

shookwun

Reaction score
expect to go bald.

topicals are weak, and ineffective in comparison.

Jj42

My Regimen
Reaction score
Already expecting that, I only have so many options though! Even though they're weak it's better than nothing

resu

Reaction score
If your baldness isn't too aggressive RU plus minoxidil may be an option. RU is an experimental drug and you don't know what other issues you may encounter unless you try and see for yourself.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In addition to Minoxidil:

Peppermint Oil, IL-6 inhibitor by way of menthol & anti inflammatory
Tretinoin, helps minoxidil but is actually also a PGD2 inhibitor as the PTGDS enzyme is also a retinoid transporter. It is also reduces IL-6 Receptor expression.

There is no evidence you will gain hair with these (why would you with any inhibitor?) and unfortunately there wont be any long term study to see if they actually slowdown/stop hair loss. But the science looks okay, IL-6 does cause hair to stop growing and is part of the PGD2-PGE2-IL6 triangle.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
expect to go bald.

topicals are weak, and ineffective in comparison.

Not really. There's studies that topical Finasteride does just as well, if not a little bit better, than
oral Finasteride.

Of course, dutasteride beats all of them. And dutasteride is only in solid form.

Jj42

My Regimen
Reaction score
How exactly does topical finasteride work and what are the potential side effects there?

shookwun

Reaction score
Not really. There's studies that topical Finasteride does just as well, if not a little bit better, than
oral Finasteride.

Of course, dutasteride beats all of them. And dutasteride is only in solid form.
keep believing that.

oral gets administered to your entire scalp through the blood supply

while topical is a hit or miss for penetrating effectively through out your entire scalp.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
keep believing that.

while topical is a hit or miss for penetrating effectively through out your entire scalp.

It's a molecule that penetrates the skin just fine.

That's why pregnant women cannot touch finasteride tablets.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
oral Finasteride.

What studies?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
keep believing that.

Yes, but topical hits the target more direct, on the scalp.

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter whether finasteride is administered in oral or topical form, enzymatic saturation in all susceptible tissues will happen one way or the other due to finasteride going systemic anyway, just at a different speed. This is why people who use finasteride as a topical get the same side effects.

As of right now, "liposomal" delivery or whatever nonsense labs try to use can't prevent finasteride from going systemic.

cyrusthegreat@hotmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
Given that I had a random onset of sides, I was advised to stop usage of finasteride by my doctor. No issue there, overall I'd rather still be reproductively healthy over having hair from finasteride and if I'm getting sides, staying on it longer will only make things worse for me.

This isn't a bitching post - the odds of anything long term are incredibly low so I'm not concerned, and I'm young so I can fix these things.

However, my question is, what are my topical options? Shampoos/etc. as suggestions are welcome. I'm currently using Rogaine, 2mL, 1x daily, and backed off the finasteride.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'd rather stick with topical since these sides might not be related to finasteride (we're eliminating that to see, and I got bloodwork done), and I wouldn't want other potential supplements to muddy the waters.

How do you know your issues are finasteride related? Get off finasteride for a couple months and see whether you improve before adding topical finasteride or ru into the mix.

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
mynexperience after 3 months was that the topical compound made my head itch like a mfer and definite progression of hairloss.

I've read anecdotal reports on this forum that this can happen with the oral form as well. Of course, with the topical, you obviously get the added super-happy-fun-time of having to deal with potential irritation and inflammation from the vehicle itself.

g.i joey

Reaction score
I've read anecdotal reports on this forum that this can happen with the oral form as well. Of course, with the topical, you obviously get the added super-happy-fun-time of having to deal with potential irritation and inflammation from the vehicle itself.

Oh it was definitely the vehicle, I'm on oral finasteride now and don't have any itching at all. I was hoping topical would've been enough but, wtv they used to make the compound destroyed the quality of my hair, on top of making me itch and shed like a b**ch.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
keep believing that.

They both go systemic. It's probably true there's no difference in side effects. But they are
both equally effective.