Stopping Scalp itch/inflammation = stop DHT attack?

shuji123

Reaction score
Hi guys, I always wonder if scalp redness/itch is a good indication on whether we stopped DHT attacking our follicles or not.

Currently, I'm using Propecia & Nizoral & emu oil & folligen/tricomin, but I still get this redness/itch in my crown area, does that suggest that DHT is still attacking my follicles and I will be thinning more?
So in other words, only when that redness/itch is gone = halt in further hair loss?

Anyone share some thoughts? Is there anyone with perfect scalp condition but still have male pattern baldness?

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I tried nizoral but it did nothing for itch

after being on finasteride for about 3 weeks my itching pretty much went away. You always get weird itches on your head (even when youve got all your hair) but the really bad ones where I was losing hair have disappeared, now they are random like the old days

shuji123

Reaction score
yeah.. propecia does nothing for me in terms of itch/inflammation.. which makes me wonder that it's not really working to treat my male pattern baldness..

Maybe it's a sign for me to throw in other stuff like spironolactone 5% and/or revivogen until the itch is gone.

shuji123

Reaction score
bump.

Just wondering, does anyone here have a perfectly healthy scalp but still have male pattern baldness problem?

G k

Established Member
Reaction score
My itch goes away as soon as I get on propecia. Also as the itch goes so does the shedding, and then regrowth begins.

nickypoos

Established Member
Reaction score
I've never expierienced an itch, is it just crown loss when an itch occurs? what suggest this itch has anything to do with male pattern baldness?

shuji123

Reaction score
Yeah, mine is just crown loss, and I get red itchy scalp in that area, too suss to just be a coincidence if you ask me.. That's what suggests to me that it has something to do with male pattern baldness. Plus it seems to me that most people in this forum has an unusual itchy/painful scalp accompained by male pattern baldness.

nickypoos - So you just have temple recession? And the scalp color on your temples is a healthy white color?

Caesar

Reaction score
I remember having intense scalp itch/ redness before I started propecia. The problem has totally disappeared when I introduced nizoral 2% into my regimen; my guess is that there is a correlation between scalp itch and DHT affecting your hair follicles...

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
shuji123 said:
Hi guys, I always wonder if scalp redness/itch is a good indication on whether we stopped DHT attacking our follicles or not.

Currently, I'm using Propecia & Nizoral & emu oil & folligen/tricomin, but I still get this redness/itch in my crown area, does that suggest that DHT is still attacking my follicles and I will be thinning more?
So in other words, only when that redness/itch is gone = halt in further hair loss?

Anyone share some thoughts? Is there anyone with perfect scalp condition but still have male pattern baldness?

In the case of male pattern baldness, follicular sensitivity to DHT causes a cascade of events leading to cell death of scalp hair follicles. It seems very common for people also to have an immune response that causes inflammation, irritation, itching and redness. It is a sign that there is a problem up there and you are possibly under attack and sensitive to DHT. I was losing most of my hair during this itchy scalp irritation crap before I jumped on finasteride and nizoral. You did not say how long your have been on your regime but the nizoral and finasteride will halt the irritation but it takes a month or so and will continue to improve. After 3 months you should have a healthy scalp free of any itching and irritation.
There is also tar base shampoo like t-gel for irritation.

shuji123

Reaction score
hairrific said:
shuji123 said:

In the case of male pattern baldness, follicular sensitivity to DHT causes a cascade of events leading to cell death of scalp hair follicles. It seems very common for people also to have an immune response that causes inflammation, irritation, itching and redness. It is a sign that there is a problem up there and you are possibly under attack and sensitive to DHT. I was losing most of my hair during this itchy scalp irritation crap before I jumped on finasteride and nizoral. You did not say how long your have been on your regime but the nizoral and finasteride will halt the irritation but it takes a month or so and will continue to improve. After 3 months you should have a healthy scalp free of any itching and irritation.
There is also tar base shampoo like t-gel for irritation.

I'm on nizoral and finasteride for 2 years now.. Maybe I should add spironolactone and/or revivogen to my regime to see if it helps.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
your itch could be from the folligen