Stopping Minoxidil whilst on finasteride - do you lose hair?

Top_Cat

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm 5 months into my regime of Finasteride and Nizoral and am thinking about adding Minoxidil into the mix. I'm a little hesitant about committing to the morning/evening application and the expense of it though. However, the other day I had the following thought and question and was wondering if anyone could answer:

Finasteride blocks the conversion of testosterone to DHT, i.e. halts hairloss.
Minoxidil stimulates new hair growth.
Manufacturers of both state that once stopping either, all the hair that has been grown will be lost again.

However, if I was to stimulate new hair growth with Minoxidil and then stop it, whilst continuing finasteride, would the latter prevent me from losing the new hair I'd grown using the former?

Thanks for your help guys

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Top_Cat said:
However, if I was to stimulate new hair growth with Minoxidil and then stop it, whilst continuing finasteride, would the latter prevent me from losing the new hair I'd grown using the former?

Nope. It's been very well established on hairloss forums over the years that finasteride alone is unable to maintain hair that was previously regrown by using topical minoxidil. There's even a study in a medical journal that was written about that exact same issue, and came to exactly the same conclusion.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
Top_Cat said:
Hi everyone,

I'm 5 months into my regime of Finasteride and Nizoral and am thinking about adding Minoxidil into the mix. I'm a little hesitant about committing to the morning/evening application and the expense of it though. However, the other day I had the following thought and question and was wondering if anyone could answer:

Manufacturers of both state that once stopping either, all the hair that has been grown will be lost again.

People, who used minoxidil, then minoxidil+finasteride (often with a very significant improvement) and subsequently switched to finasteride only, have disastrous experiences. Basically, they lost all hair that was kept by minoxidil for many previous years, and in a flash they got to the point, where they would normally end up naturally without any treatment. If you start to use minoxidil as the first treatment, there is no way back. You are destined to use it for life.

I think that the main reason lies in the fact that the hair kept by minoxidil is already damaged by DHT and technically dead. Once I stopped my treatment for 3 months and I started to lose hair on the whole area that I would otherwise lose without it (1 inch in my temples).

Therefore, if you lower DHT with finasteride, it won't save hairs that were kept by minoxidil for many years, because the hairs were already damaged by DHT previously, and minoxidil kept them alive by some artifical mechanism. However, in theory, it shouldn't be the case, if you use finasteride first and then add minoxidil. However, this is just my theory.

If you have some bald places, you can test it there first. There you have nothing to lose. If you regrow some hair and if you subsequently keep it for many months, you can apply it on other areas of the scalp. Actually, I think that it shouldn't be much risky, even if you used minoxidil on the whole scalp. The DHT is blocked, which means that the hairs should stay there even after you quitted minoxidil, albeit with some temporary shedding. But don't call me names, if it won't work this way :)

andre21

Reaction score
Romaine is practical topically to the scalp and mechanism by flaring the gore motion to the scalp surrounding the thinning or balding areas. It has been institute to be marginally impelling in retentive or maturation filament in the laurels (top of the scalp in the aft of the nous). For any saneness it does lowercase if anything in restoring hair to the cheater hairline country.

Printer

Trickss

Reaction score
WarLord said:
Top_Cat said:
Hi everyone,

People, who used minoxidil, then minoxidil+finasteride (often with a very significant improvement) and subsequently switched to finasteride only, have disastrous experiences. Basically, they lost all hair that was kept by minoxidil for many previous years, and in a flash they got to the point, where they would normally end up naturally without any treatment. If you start to use minoxidil as the first treatment, there is no way back. You are destined to use it for life.

I think that the main reason lies in the fact that the hair kept by minoxidil is already damaged by DHT and technically dead. Once I stopped my treatment for 3 months and I started to lose hair on the whole area that I would otherwise lose without it (1 inch in my temples).

Therefore, if you lower DHT with finasteride, it won't save hairs that were kept by minoxidil for many years, because the hairs were already damaged by DHT previously, and minoxidil kept them alive by some artifical mechanism. However, in theory, it shouldn't be the case, if you use finasteride first and then add minoxidil. However, this is just my theory.

If you have some bald places, you can test it there first. There you have nothing to lose. If you regrow some hair and if you subsequently keep it for many months, you can apply it on other areas of the scalp. Actually, I think that it shouldn't be much risky, even if you used minoxidil on the whole scalp. The DHT is blocked, which means that the hairs should stay there even after you quitted minoxidil, albeit with some temporary shedding. But don't call me names, if it won't work this way :)

" People, who used minoxidil, then minoxidil+finasteride (often with a very significant improvement) and subsequently switched to finasteride only, have disastrous experiences. Basically, they lost all hair that was kept by minoxidil for many previous years, and in a flash they got to the point, where they would normally end up naturally without any treatment "

Exactly That happened to me and i regret it so ANYONE who is in a good spot with results of finasteride and Minoxidil and feels like " yo i m good now no problem i stopped hairloss with finasteride " REALLY REALLY dont even think about it you will regret it as i did and hair is harder to grow back Keep adding Minoxidil

razzmatazz91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nope. It's been very well established on hairloss forums over the years that finasteride alone is unable to maintain hair that was previously regrown by using topical minoxidil. There's even a study in a medical journal that was written about that exact same issue, and came to exactly the same conclusion.

Another question: Can finasteride thicken hair (mostly fuzz) grow with minoxidil?