stopping minoxidil, new user need opinions Help me please

bobisback11

Reaction score
ok so i'm 22 looked in the mirror about 2 to 3 months ago and noticed the thinning on temples and got paranoid, so i went out and bought minoxidil used it for about 2 months maybe just a little bit more, once a night. I used the stuff only at night and went through 3 bottles pretty quickly, however the stuff makes my itch like a motherf#$@er, my skin gets dry in those places, white flakes, redness, and i believe my face is a bit fatter then before. I know its only been aboout 2 to 3 months but i have no results so far, i have worsening in that area, i don't believe its due to shedding however, i think its due to reaction i'm getting the skin just does not feel natural there anymore. I still lose about 5 to 10 hairs in the shower, sometimes less, but i do not know if its the result of minoxidil or what?

My question is, it was my mistake for not doing some side effect research on the product however i have only used it for about 2 to 3 months once a night will i shed once i stop. I didn't see any new growth from the product so i'm not worried about losing hair i gained, and i had peach hair fuzz before in the area before i started, and after using minoxidil i noticed it but i don't think its worth using the product for me if i am only going to gain some peach fuzz and have to suffer through allergic reactions..

comments, thanks guys

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: stopping minoxidil, new user need opinions Help me pleas

WHHHOOOOW!!

Slowly now!!!

bobisback11 said:
ok so i'm 22 looked in the mirror about 2 to 3 months ago and noticed the thinning on temples and got paranoid, so i went out and bought minoxidil

so far so good...

bobisback11 said:
used it for about 2 months maybe just a little bit more, once a night. I used the stuff only at night and went through 3 bottles pretty quickly,

Calculator time...

3 bottles over two months using it only once a day in the evenings.

3 bottles = 180 ml (3 x 60 ml)
2 months = 60 days

Divide one by the other and press the '=' button

That comes to 3 ml per application or 300% the recommended dose.

bobisback11 said:
however the stuff makes my itch like a motherf#$@er, my skin gets dry in those places, white flakes, redness, and i believe my face is a bit fatter then before.

First the fat face, try cutting your minoxidil use down to the recommended 1ml (from 3ml) and apply only to a dry (not damp) scalp to avoid systemic over absorption.

Minoxidil* can be hard on the scalp at first, I, like many, had a red itchy, flakey scalp for the first 2 or three months (perhaps a little longer). I felt like I wanted to scratch my head clean off, it was driving me mad.

*it is very rarely the minoxidil that causes scalp irritation but the PPG in most formulas, 1 in 10 people are said to have scalp irritation when in contact with PPG.

Nizoral shampoo, T/Gel shampoo, T/Sal shampoo and folligen can all help get you through the itchy stage, my scalp has been itch free for well over a year now, when I say itch free I mean absolutely nothing, zero. Using these shampoos for a few weeks can really help to damped down and kill off the itch.

If you want a faster solution perhaps you can try Dr Lees Standard Minoxidil (Product 500 on Xandrox.com) which contains much less PPG and as a bonus dries rapidly (in 10 minutes or so).

bobisback11 said:
I know its only been aboout 2 to 3 months but i have no results so far, i have worsening in that area, i don't believe its due to shedding however, i think its due to reaction i'm getting the skin just does not feel natural there anymore. I still lose about 5 to 10 hairs in the shower, sometimes less, but i do not know if its the result of minoxidil or what?

The average person not suffering male pattern baldness will typically lose 100-150 hairs a day, losing 5-10 (or even 50) hairs in the shower is not abnormal.

bobisback11 said:
My question is, it was my mistake for not doing some side effect research on the product however i have only used it for about 2 to 3 months once a night will i shed once i stop.

Unlikely

bobisback11 said:
I didn't see any new growth from the product so i'm not worried about losing hair i gained, and i had peach hair fuzz before in the area before i started, and after using minoxidil i noticed it but i don't think its worth using the product for me if i am only going to gain some peach fuzz and have to suffer through allergic reactions..

You are unlikely to see any regrowth in 2-3 months, minoxidil takes a long time to deliver its results, 6 months to a year is a better time frame to assess how well you are responding.

You also must be aware that minoxidil will not stop you losing you hair as it does not address the underlying problem of DHT attacking your follicles, you may grow a little additional hair but this will be lost in a few years as your follicles are miniaturised by DHT. Without dealing with the DHT you are simply delaying hair loss by a few years, perhaps as little as two or three.

Justlooking

Established Member
Reaction score
When you use too much minoxidil it makes your skin super irritated and give horrible dandruff. Cut down on the amount you apply and know that it sinks in and spreads a bit so dont worry about wetting your entire hair- just apply to thinning areas. This should help cut down on costs and make your scalp more healthy which some believe(myself included) could slow hairloss.

bobisback11

Reaction score
thanks, appreciate the great detail in the answers....

my main concern was that I just wanted to see if i was going to shed after stopping the use after 2 to 3 months of using it once a night, but it seems that is unlikely since i gained nothing in the first place. I don't think i am ready to use it long term yet if my only gain for now is peach fuzz, and i have to suffer through the reactions i was going through. I just wanted to stop as soon as possible just because if i used it for 1 year and still was not committed to using it maybe i would do more damage than good by stopping then.

my girlfriend thinks i was crazy for starting it, my temples are showing but the rest of my hair pretty thick

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Even if you use minoxidil for a year and you stop you will shed what you have grown (and prehaps a little more) but over a few weeks/months you will return to where you would have been if you had never used minoxidil in the first place.

(see yellow line in graph below)

This raises two points.

1) If minoxidil is growing no hair for you, you will shed no hair, so not much of a problem there.

2) If minoxidil is growing a significant amount of hair (you can be the judge of what is significant) you will shed this significant amount on stopping, but if you have grown a significant amount of hair why would you want to stop?

You sound like a better candidate for finasteride (Propecia/Proscar).

MINOXPAUSE.gif

SE-freak

Reaction score
bobisback11 said:
yeah i don't think i grew anything in 2 to 3 months... maybe thinned more but definately no growth

some see changes in a month (like I have) some in 4 and some take considerably longer. You cannot dispose of minoxidil as a treatment judging by the first 3 months. To my understanding, minoxidil can really surprise the user given the chance.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ttwarrior1 said:
it makes your face fatter?

Yes and you will lose all your hair in a massive shed.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: stopping minoxidil, new user need opinions Help me pleas

bobisback11 said:
I know its only been aboout 2 to 3 months but i have no results so far, i have worsening in that area, i don't believe its due to shedding however, i think its due to reaction i'm getting the skin just does not feel natural there anymore. I still lose about 5 to 10 hairs in the shower, sometimes less, but i do not know if its the result of minoxidil or what?

Stick with it. Well into the second ofr third week or so of use, I noticed a change in scalp condition, too. It became unusually smooth. I think this occured because I was not always evenly spacing applications. If I missed my morning application, I would apply it in the afternoon, and keep my evening application on schedule. Therefore, there was only a 4 hour period inbetween aplications, instead of the 8. Don't overdo it.

I stopped use for about 2 days and restarted. Today, I noticed I am responding, but in an unusual manner. I have to monitor closely.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ttwarrior1 said:
is this a joke, if so im throwing out 20 bottles now

And if it is not a joke and it is in fact true, what will you do then ?

bobisback11

Reaction score
well i'll give it a brake right now because of my early reactions, its better for me to quit this early on than having to apply it for a year and then quit and suffer shedding.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bobisback11 said:
well i'll give it a brake right now because of my early reactions.

It also gave me early erections.

SE-freak

Reaction score
bobisback11 said:
well i'll give it a brake right now because of my early reactions, its better for me to quit this early on than having to apply it for a year and then quit and suffer shedding.

Have you considered waxing your scalp? You would not suffer a haircut for many many months.

bobisback11

Reaction score
i just don't want to quit early on, and was worried about the possibility of losing what i had before starting minoxidil, which would suck...

itchy080

Established Member
Reaction score
im into about month 4 or 5, had a massive shed and am not seeing results, by massive i mean i have a slick bald spot in the middle of my head out of nowhere, i dont know whether or not to stick with it, i was thinkin about not in the slick spot-i man stoppin to apply it there, then the vertex contine with app
but i def shed big time