Stopping Minoxidil And Propecia After 10 Days Usage?

ThatIndianGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a new member to this forum, but make no mistakes, I have been following this forum and tons of threads for about 2 months now.

I have had severe dandruff problems since 2015 I think. And until 2018, I had never taken any steps to counter the dandruff - I was just this "Heavily Dandruff-Ridden dude".

But I thought I would reduce this, I went to a dermatologist A. A said I had scalp psoriasis and male pattern baldness, and rescribed me with Saw Palmetto+Biotin and Ketoconazole + Coal Tar shampoo. I started using it for about 3 months, and I could clearly see my hairloss got worse, my scalp would get insanely oily and I lost a considerable amount of hair.

I recently visited another dermatologist B for a second opinion - and he seems to think it's because of MPH too, and confirms I DO have scalp psoriasis.

He prescribed me both Minoxidil 5% and Finasteride 1mg.

I have been using both consistently for around roughly 10 days - and my hair on top-front of my scalp has diffuse-thinned somewhat worse - I could see my scalp if I part my hair slightly.

So, here I am, feeling like a complete sh*t, and thinking about quitting both Minoxidil and Finasteride for good, and just sticking with the Ketoconazole for my psoriasis issue.

So, my question is, will my 10 days of usage of Minoxidil and Finasteride worsen my hair even more if I quit both right now? And also, will my diffuse thinning be reversed/slightly salvaged back to my original hair before the minoxidil/finasteride treatment.

I'm quitting because recently my TSH levels have shot up - fucked up life, I know right?

So, I have been given an increased Levithyroxine dose and lots of Vitamin deficiency tablets - looks like I am deficient in Vitamins, Iron, and all the other sh*t as well. (On a side note, why am I even breathing?)

So, I am thinking about quitting both minoxidil/finasteride for good, and continue with my other tablets related to Thyroid, and have a better diet with all the vitamins and proteins and all that sh*t.

Will this sudden stoppage be an issue? Will I continue thinking/shedding hair if I stop after just 10 days of usage of both Minoxidil and Propecia?

Please help and advise me as early as possible. I am literally losing all my hair, and I'm almost definitely going psychotic thinking about this.

ThatIndianGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bumping this thread.

Sorry, I am really restless about this, and having pretty much sleepless nights.

Can anyone please let me know if there may be any effect after using and stopping both Finasteride and Minoxidil just for 10 days? I stopped it yesterday because I felt like a total moron for the past 10 days and I'm trying to get out of that.

I just want to know if I will incur more/worsened hairloss as a result of me stopping the drugs after 10 days usage.

I can see that my diffuse thin hair above my hairline was worsened after the usage of the 2x drugs. Also, can you please advise me if the diffused hairloss might get better in the coming days, possibly with the natural growth cycle?

Please help out a grieving brother, I would really appreciate it. May the Gods bless us all.

getting_back

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is something that is called initial shed after starting or stopping hairloss medication. This lasts usually up to 6 weeks. Afterwards you can judge if it's helping or not.. It is recommended to stay at least 6 months on treatment due to the nature of hair cycles. 10 days are far too less..

ThatIndianGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is something that is called initial shed after starting or stopping hairloss medication. This lasts usually up to 6 weeks. Afterwards you can judge if it's helping or not.. It is recommended to stay at least 6 months on treatment due to the nature of hair cycles. 10 days are far too less..

Thanks for the reply, brother.
I understand that there is a dread shed period for the medications. But I felt like sh*t the entire 10 days under both the Finpecia and Minoxidil. So, stopped the medication yesterday.

From your reply, can I infer that 10 days is far too little time for the meds (Finpecia/minoxidil) to have been absorbed into my system and to have an effect, and there won't be shedding going forward without the medicines?

Or did you mean 10 days is just a small amount for the medications to work

getting_back

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course the drugs are in your system after 10 days.. And finasteride will have an effect on your hormonal system. For some people the body needs some time to balance out again after such drugs. But, you know your body better than anyone else. If something feels totally wrong, go and see a doctor!

And it takes about 6 months to see if the drug has a positive effect on your hairloss.

P.s. Don't take more than 1.25mg if you cut Proscar. I would recommend to work your way up or down if you start or stop this drug

ThatIndianGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course the drugs are in your system after 10 days.. And finasteride will have an effect on your hormonal system. For some people the body needs some time to balance out again after such drugs. But, you know your body better than anyone else. If something feels totally wrong, go and see a doctor!

And it takes about 6 months to see if the drug has a positive effect on your hairloss.

P.s. Don't take more than 1.25mg if you cut Proscar. I would recommend to work your way up or down if you start or stop this drug

Thanks for the reply, mate.

Since quitting both Minoxidil and Finasteride, I feel slightly better. Less depressed, less suicidal, less shitty.
But not entirely.. just the magnitude feels less.

It's been two days since I left the treatments, and from reading online, I could gather Finasteride does take a few more days to leave the system.

My question is, while Finasteride and Minoxidil is still there in my system (albeit in a much lesser quantity, since not taking it anymore), will it be causing further hair loss? And also, once it's out of the system, will the hair shed more, or in the natural shedding rate?

Also, will I be getting back the hair that "seems" to have shed/thinned during the treatment of 10 days period?

Also, I forgot to mention, I had been using Minoxidil for 2x times a day, and I forgot to use it for two days - so the approximate number of uses we're around, 15, give or take.. and the Finpecia was taken for 10 days - 1mg.

Will my body bring back the hair thinned/lost due to Minoxidil/Finasteride, if even it did cause it?

ThatIndianGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Look, because you stopped it you will permanently lose your hair over an extended time period. The shedding is different...but nevertheless scary..
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hair-loss/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20372932

Again..by not taking it, you most likely will lose your hair permanently.

Hi Rudi,

Thanks for the reply.
But to be fair, I just used the Minoxidil for 13-14 uses tops, and took Finasteride only for 10 days.

Are you saying this minimal use will keep shedding my hair for an extended time period, for just 10 days of usage?

Also, I just wanted to clarify I did not mean the "natural" shedding if I don't take the medications anymore.

I was talking about the medication-induced shedding, the hair shed which could have happened due to my usage in these 10 days.

Also, it's been 3 days since I stopped these medications, and it should be halfway/almost out of my system, right?

I'm pretty sure, considering the half-life of both the medications, they must be completely off my system in probably another week, tops.

Are you saying the medication induced hair shed will continue permanently even once the medications are out of my system?

Again, just asking to understand better.
Thanks for your time. Looking forward to your help.

ThatIndianGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, uploading pictures so that it would be easy to advise/help.

Sorry for heavily editing out the pictures, but I can't afford for my friends/family who might be lurking around to see I have an ongoing hair problem.

Can you guys tell me how bad the hairline is? And also, an I diffuse thinning around my front scalp?

Attachments

• IMG_20190414_124419__01.jpg
    IMG_20190414_124419__01.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_20190414_123536__01__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20190414_123536__01__01__01.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_20190414_124951__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20190414_124951__01__01.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_20190414_123900__01__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20190414_123900__01__01__01.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 207

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
>Since quitting both Minoxidil and Finasteride, I feel slightly better. Less depressed, less suicidal, less shitty.
>was on the medication for 10 days

ThatIndianGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
>Since quitting both Minoxidil and Finasteride, I feel slightly better. Less depressed, less suicidal, less shitty.
>was on the medication for 10 days
I know that sounds hysterical and funny, but the sides were actually quite unbearable for that 10-day time period, got all the sides - less libido, ED, depression, suicidal thoughts.. guess I do react strongly to the medication more than the others due to my shitty system.

Also, just understanding, so you do reckon there won't be much damage to my hair after 10 days of the usage of Minoxidil and Finpecia? I'm really worried.

Also, I have attached my pics in my previous reply, how bad does it seem. What Norwood scale am I? Also, is that diffuse thinning? Can you please help a bud out? Thanks in advance.

ThatIndianGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bumping this thread.
Hi good people on the Internet,

Sorry for being a pesky sh*t, but I'm really worried here.
Can you please help me on the above? Thanks.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have male pattern baldness, u will most likely end up bald. The degree of it is impossible to predict: it's all coded in your genes. It could take 20 years or it could take 5 years. Without treatment (and I am not saying you should or shouldn't) you will continue lose hair. Having thyroid issues and psoriasis will also contribute to the loss.

ThatIndianGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.
I have recently noticed, I have been thinking/losing hair like sh*t crazy in my top-middle portion of my scalp.
I'm attaching my pics - taken under direct light - of the top-middle scalp.

Could any of you guys assess what this type of hairloss is? And whether this can be made better? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20190420_104811__01.jpg
    IMG_20190420_104811__01.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20190420_104733.jpg
    IMG_20190420_104733.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 182

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.
I have recently noticed, I have been thinking/losing hair like sh*t crazy in my top-middle portion of my scalp.
I'm attaching my pics - taken under direct light - of the top-middle scalp.

Could any of you guys assess what this type of hairloss is? And whether this can be made better? Thanks in advance.
Most likely male pattern baldness.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
The bottom line is this. You will be back to yourself without the drug, however you have male pattern baldness and will continue to get worse until you have no more hair. Unfortunately if you cant tolerate the drugs then thats the pill we all have to swallow.