Stopping minoxidil after 8 month - My Strategy

Depression

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys, minoxidil is getting too binding for me and I'm having quite a bit of side effects. I feel like my skin is aging so I want to stop.

In order not to have a brutal sheeding, I will gradually stop:

First reduce to 6 applications / day instead of initially 13 / days

Then reduce to 5 applications / day then 4 then 3 to finish with 3 applications / day every other day.

Has anyone ever tried this? I think it's better to do this than to quit suddenly.

Fontaine

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're already at the top dude

Well done though, you managed to bait me back in

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Whether you stop quickly or taper off slowly, the outcome will be the same.

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I once went off minoxidil by just using it less and less, like a couple of times per week, then sometimes only once a week, then every now and then when I remembered, and then kind of forgetting about it. I lost all my gains, and my hair quality deteriorated just the same as it would have if I had stopped it from one day to another.

Depression

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I once went off minoxidil by just using it less and less, like a couple of times per week, then sometimes only once a week, then every now and then when I remembered, and then kind of forgetting about it. I lost all my gains, and my hair quality deteriorated just the same as it would have if I had stopped it from one day to another.
Ok its not reassuring me at all .. I will still try, it may be less brutal than stopping overnight.

Did you take the minoxidil back when you saw the damage? Me it makes me dark circles under my eyes and it itches me a lot, I can't go on

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have never experienced any skin problems with minoxidil.

I restarted minoxidil last year in June, and will never stop again. I stopped because I had a lot of bad things going on in my life at the time taking up all my energy, and my hair was the last thing on my mind. I think there was also a kind of hybris involved, thinking my hair could do without treatments.

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have learnt that
- treatments work to an important degree
- I have to stick to the routine no matter what
- it’s a lifelong battle

Depression

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have never experienced any skin problems with minoxidil.

I restarted minoxidil last year in June, and will never stop again. I stopped because I had a lot of bad things going on in my life at the time taking up all my energy, and my hair was the last thing on my mind. I think there was also a kind of hybris involved, thinking my hair could do without treatments.
Ok personally i think i'm ready to quit but i will continue finasteride and i will try to get dutasteride as well.

minoxidil its really depresses me to have to go in front of the ice to spray my skull with product when I am only 19 years old ^^

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok personally i think i'm ready to quit but i will continue finasteride and i will try to get dutasteride as well.

minoxidil its really depresses me to have to go in front of the ice to spray my skull with product when I am only 19 years old ^^
I look at it as being similar to brushing your teeth, daily skin care etc. I only use minoxidil in the evening, and it works.
I know how you feel though, having to experience hair loss in your teens is pretty bad.

Depression

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I look at it as being similar to brushing your teeth, daily skin care etc. I only use minoxidil in the evening, and it works.
I know how you feel though, having to experience hair loss in your teens is pretty bad.
Yes, the only thing I hope is to get my hair back like when I started minoxidil and it won't get any worse

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was on min and got 0 benefit, I then quit and 5-6 months later nothing has happened, and I'm shedding less & my scalp feels way better then I was on the min. You're not instantly doomed to lose it all, but yes some of your hair might have gotten minoxidil dependent and you wont know until you've stopped and it goes.

ukrmd

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is really useful info thanks. Min dependent hair? would this be regrowth hair you mean?

@iCloud - your regimen says that you still take it, so have you started again?

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is really useful info thanks. Min dependent hair? would this be regrowth hair you mean?

@iCloud - your regimen says that you still take it, so have you started again?
Yes, I restarted last summer.

DrHerway

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok its not reassuring me at all .. I will still try, it may be less brutal than stopping overnight.

Did you take the minoxidil back when you saw the damage? Me it makes me dark circles under my eyes and it itches me a lot, I can't go on
If itching is a problem, you should try a propylene glycol free formulation. For most people, itching and flaking is due to propylene glycol and not due to the minoxidil itself.

Tapering off as you have suggested may help make the loss of minoxidil-induced gains more gradual but ultimately you will lose all hair that was recruited and/or maintained due to minoxidil.

I rarely have patients that were on minoxidil as long as you that stop and don't regret. However, I've also found that once people get it in their mind that they are going to.stop, it's almost impossible to change their mind. My only advice is, if once you begin to notice hair loss that is intolerable, to get back on minoxidil as soon as possible and not try to attribute the hair loss to.non-causative factors (eg maybe I'm losing hair because I've been drinking more milk? No! It's because you stopped minoxidil!). I'd also recommend trying a propylene glycol free formula. Generally has to be specialty compounded.

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
Been on fina and minoxidil for 12 years. No question in my mind that all of my regrowth was due to minoxidil. I apply twice/day and use a rough brush with separated bristles to work it in. Did wonders.