Stopping finasteride, starting rogaine foam - your thoughts?

wednoct

Reaction score
So a couple of years back I started rogaine (liquid) and got lazy about applying it about a month in. started taking finasteride, and have been on that for about a couple of years - with no success to speak of. No stopping of the loss, no regrowth, and I'm definitely still losing all over. Sure, theoretically it may have "slowed it down" but I really don't think so - and I'm not delusional, I have lost the majority of my hair in those two years, so I can tell it's NOT really doing anything. So I started rogaine foam a couple of days ago. My question is, is there any point in continuing finasteride?

Please consider it carefully - TWO years without any real effect! Gimme some insight.

:crazy:

abcdefg

Reaction score
If it didnt work in 2 years then you may as well drop it. You could start the foam or topical spironolactone. Keep in mind your hair is in trouble if finasteride didnt work theres not many other real options.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wed, there are plenty of "real options" out there. You just might have to do a little research and experimenting to find one that might work for you. If you still have alot of hair and would be happy in just keeping what you have, I would recommend my regimen - Alpecin C1 Shampoo + Alpecin ASL. These products have stopped my shed by at least 90%, but just because it worked for me doesn't guarantee it will work for you.

Also note that I am an ex Finpecia and rogaine user.

wednoct

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion - that stuff looks interesting, but at the same time seems like one of those "well if it's so good how come I've never heard about it (in my years of searching for good products)."

Two interesting threads on the product:

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess ... adid=57914
http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess ... TARTPAGE=1

Since I have never really given minoxidil a chance, I'm thinking I should keep the 1/4 proscar daily going and give the foam a chance to work. Then maybe alpecin. The general consensus seems to be don't use minoxidil and alpecin together, otherwise I'll admit that I would have picked a bottle up. But if I'm going to try them individually, might as well go with the proven cure first. Please give me more of your thoughts on this alpecin stuff. For now I think I'm going to shy away from dutasteride - too few (none?) positive stories to motivate me to go in that direction.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, wed, I know it's not very popular. When I first heard about it I was curious too. You can look at my post history and find posts of me questioning why this was. I still don't know exactly why, I remember reading that Alpecin was real hot when it first came out, but then it kind of died out.

Few things you should also know:
-There is no cure for baldness--anything that stops your hair loss or regrows has to be used on a consistent basis otherwise the baldness will continue. hair transplant is probably the closest thing to a cure, but in terms on non-surgical methods, there isn't a cure.
-Your real hair will continue to diminish while on Rogaine...the only success you will see is Rogaine dependent hair. In other words, any regrowth that you see if considered "rogaine hair" and can only stay alive with consistent use of rogaine/minoxidil ONLY(no substitute).
-Alpecin's consistent use protects your real hair.

What you could try is Alpecin and minoxidil combo....maybe not directly following each other because you are right about the Alpecin/minoxidil consensus. Maybe Alpecin in the AM and minoxidil in the PM or something like that. That way you preserve the hair you have and also regrow at the same time...but by all means this does not make it a cure because you will have to continue this routine until or if a cure comes out.