Stopping Finasteride - help - info sought

sjbuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a newby and would really appreciate some input on my situation. I have what seems to be some hair thinning and possible receding at the temples. I write possibly because though it may seem strange perception of this can get skewed by quite a distance. Going from memory I'm not sure when I noticed hair loss or if indeed I noticed it or if the idea was planted by people eg hairdressers commenting for one and my perception is out of whack on it. I've also seen pictures of me 10 years previously to being 'hair conscious' when I didn't have hair concerns and my hair line looked like a slightly receded one back then. Plus there are some people who have hair lines which look like a Norwood 2 or 3 and then there’s the denial aspects so all in all it’s difficult to know what state of affairs our hair is in !

This out of the way, I have been taking Finasteride for a few years now and like most people I suspect, contrary to manufacturer reports (2% my ***), have experienced a number of side effects for which I decided to reduce my dose to Mon,Weds, Fri and perhaps 1 at the weekend. Side effects have been erectile dysfunction which caused problems with my ex-lover, no morning erections, I seem to carry slightly more weight around the middle, physical tiredness in the mornings which stopped when I reduced the dose, ball pain and joint pain both that has been quite severe a times, consistent pins and needle sensations in my left forearms and hand, reduced libido and I'm sure my balls have shrunk a bit also, so all in all not great.

My plan of managing it:

- Shave head to see how I look bald as some guys look good hairless
- Consider saw palmetto to either replace or mix with Finasteride dose
- If hair thins further use fibres occasionally
- consider a piece if it gets that advanced as some look good
- accept it ( easy to write harder to do but may be easiest option )

Personally I would consider a transplant if my hair loss pattern warranted it. What I mean by this is if I was nearly bald I would shave it but if I had gaps of hair loss I would consider FUE transplant if I was sure hair loss had stabilised and could afford it, like Duncan Bannatyne (UK). I thought this made sense as he had the hair island going on and plugged in the side gaps although there is the risk of further hair loss and having permanent hair plugged alongside diminishing hair so needs careful consideration.

Anyway, thanks for bearing with me and my questions are around Finasteride as I'm seriously considering stopping it having read about some serious long term effects.

If I have got away with not having long term consequences the changes I anticipate from not taking Finasteride are no joint pain, no pins and needles nerve sensations, libido increasing, morning erections, more sexual feeling on dick, no related morning tiredness, slightly less around the middle, balls back to normal size, stronger erections, possibly more energy and drive which may have ebbed away unconsciously since taking it (seems to have taken spark away a little)

Questions:

1. Is Saw Palmetto worth taking to either mix or replace Finasteride?
2. Seems to me that manufacturers play on our fears about once Finasteride is stopped any gains are lost. I reckon this is tosh as I have read people who have stopped and their remaining hair was still in place. It seems to me Finasteride inhibits the process of hair reducing but it doesn’t keep hairs lodged in our skin which fall out if the drug isn’t in our system. I wonder if Finasteride can be used sporadically a bit like steroids to slow recession at times. Any thoughts on this?

megatron

Reaction score
From personal experience once you stop finasteride completely, the gains you made will eventually be lost. For the first six months after stopping I didn't really notice anything. Then all of a sudden my hair started thinning out pretty rapidly, and by month 9 I was back to where I was pre-finasteride.

I don't believe you can use it sporadically as a "top up" for thinning hair, I believe it needs to be in your system constantly, which is why a lot of people don't see any results until taking it for at least 1-2 years.

abcdefg

Reaction score
If you quit finasteride just accept male pattern baldness for what it is then because there are reasons people still use it. Nothing else works as well. Saw palmetto is far too weak IMO to have any major impact on male pattern baldness. Its kind of propecia or let nature run its course at this point. Could try transplant route.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Post pics of your hair. Maybe you didn't need to take it in the first place.

sjbuk

Established Member
Reaction score
I really can't get with the idea of our hair going back to pre Finasteride levels on stopping. This seems almost certainly to be manufacturers BS to keep the fear levels high and punters buying their drug.

It makes no sense. DHT is inhibited during the time on the drug and when the drug is out of our bodies the process will continue from this point on not reverse to catch up for lost time. For one it can't be proved either way.

NCA may bean idea to post pics

hairwish

Reaction score
I would try 0.5mg every day as a last resort or even 0.25. Some have stated a tiny amount everyday is preferred over evey other day. Try the .5 first and see how you feel. These doses are about 90% as effective as the 1mg. I wish I would have tried it this way first before going cold turkey for 2 years, I'm back on it now but I'm worse than before I started finasteride.

sjbuk

Established Member
Reaction score
I would try 0.5mg every day as a last resort or even 0.25. Some have stated a tiny amount everyday is preferred over evey other day. Try the .5 first and see how you feel. These doses are about 90% as effective as the 1mg. I wish I would have tried it this way first before going cold turkey for 2 years, I'm back on it now but I'm worse than before I started finasteride.

The sides on finasteride though are really not sitting well with my body so everyday is not really an option. I'm on Mon, Weds, & Fri at 0.6mg and my body is still groaning so I'm considering going to 1 on 2 off. I plan on doing this until my body agrees with me. It may even mean stopping altogether, for a while at least. I think this shedding when stopping is manufacturer hype and peoples imaginations as its impossible to know how much hair we lose daily unless its in clumps.

hairwish

Reaction score
Hmm that's a tough one then. If it were me I would consider topical spironolactone first and see what happens. Also some folks add finasteride to the minoxidil and apply it topically, maybe this is worth a shot as well as taking it the way you are now. If all else fails I would try RU, it is far better than finasteride with little to no sides (from what I've read on here) but a real pain to use though doable.

sjbuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm that's a tough one then. If it were me I would consider topical spironolactone first and see what happens. Also some folks add finasteride to the minoxidil and apply it topically, maybe this is worth a shot as well as taking it the way you are now. If all else fails I would try RU, it is far better than finasteride with little to no sides (from what I've read on here) but a real pain to use though doable.

Thanks for the input HW. Whats RU and is topical spironolactone the same as minoxidal ?

hairwish

Reaction score
I don't have much time right now to explain but search for RU58841 in here and on google and start reading, it's a VERY potent antiandrogen, what finasteride does, but applied topically. You have to mix the solution everyday to because once it's mixed the potency of it is only good for like a day or two. Like I said pain in the but but doable. The biggest downfall to it in my opinion is that it's not regulated when it's made therefore some of it's contents could be questionable but many folks here have had great success with it. Also since it's topical I think it may be a hazard to pregnant women if they come in contact with it, not 100% sure, I forget. spironolactone is not the same as minoxidil, it helps to do more what finasteride does topically, stop dht at the scalp, not regrowth like minoxidil. Someone with RU knowledge want to shed some light on this young grasshopper please.