Stopping finasteride for a few days

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
For reasons that I can't help, I have to stop finasteride for a few days. Possibly for a week. I have heard of people taking rest periods before, but I just wanted to know what to expect from this period.

Will I experience increased shedding? Will my progress with finasteride be stunted?

Is there anything I should do in this period of time that would reduce the level of harm done to my hair? Ie: Take specific vitamins, wash hair less frequently, or something like that.

Another concern I have is about "declaring" finasteride. If I go and have an immunisation shot from the doctors or to have some anaesthetic applied to myself for some reason, would I need to declare finasteride? I'm talking about very small scale stuff here, like a shot of anaesthetic from the dentist or an immunisation shot for the flu. Something like that. If not nessecary, I'd rather not declare it. If it was major like having surgery, of course I'd declare it then. What are your thoughts?

beaner

Reaction score
Nothing negative should happen from stopping finasteride for a week. It takes a couple weeks for DHT to return to baseline, so one week off the drug shouldn't have an impact. I've not taken it for a few days in a row before and didn't notice any increased shedding or anything. For your other question, my opinion is it's always a good idea to tell your doctor what drugs you're taking before undergoing ANY procedure. While it's doubtful to me that finasteride would have any adverse interactions with routine immunizations or anaesthesia, you just never know and there is no sense taking that kind of risk.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
I see your point, but if the person I'm telling isn't a doctor, or if it's around people I know, I'm not comfortable talking about using propecia.

For example, if I joined up with a sports club and they told us to list our current medication, I would leave out propecia just because I don't want the person collecting up our forms to know. I pray this behaviour does not hurt me in the future.

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
unless you're a professional sportsman, u should be fine not telling people you're on finasteride. apart from if your doctor asks of course what medication you're on!