Stopped With Minoxidil, Started Finasteride

Bambam

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all,
I started using minoxidil around 4 years ago, and once I noticed the effect is wearing off I decided it was time to switch to Finasteride.

Long story short, both the doctor and the pharmacist told me to ditch minoxidil and stick to Finasteride and so I did.

The first two months were the months I experienced the most shedding. Like EXTREME shedding. Then I talked to a doctor again and he told me it would have been best if I used both minoxidil and Finasteride simultaneously for the first month or so before I stopped using minoxidil for good but it's too late now and I should just stick to Finasteride.

It's been around 5 months now and at the shedding is mostly over but my hair has really thinned out. My question being, can I count on Finasteride to regain the hair I lost when I stopped using minoxidil? Should I start using it again? Will it even help at this point?

Thanks a lot.

Falco4758

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What happened was after you stopped rogaine your hair went to what it would of been naturally. Now your hope is to just maintain what you have. You could thicken some in about 30% of ppl it happens depends how far gone the hairs are

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You could go back on minoxidil it could bring it back the hair it originally had, check my direct message to you btw

Bambam

My Regimen
Reaction score
What happened was after you stopped rogaine your hair went to what it would of been naturally. Now your hope is to just maintain what you have. You could thicken some in about 30% of ppl it happens depends how far gone the hairs are
I see. But at this point going back on rogaine would be meaninglessness is what you're saying?

Bambam

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there anyone else who's had a similar experience? Would be glad to hear his input.

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have seen people who have stopped minoxidil and start finasteride similar to you and it has caused their hair to thin out and shed. Some recover some dont but those who have restarted minoxidil after usually regain some of what they have lost. It may be worth riding it out for a bit and seeing how you fair.

If your situation doesn't improve just start minoxidil again and add in derma rolling and it should help.