Stopped smoking marijuana, hair got thinner [Effects of marijuana on hair loss]

B

beliel

Now this is something that isn't talked about a lot but I have found similar cases on the internet. I ask you to be open about this and I'll begin by saying that all marijuana could have as far as effect is either make it worst or better but it can't be the CAUSE for hair loss. I don't take anything except this Nioxin useless shampoo and I'm about a N2 and have been receiding for 3 years.

Things I have noticed :

After only two days without weed, my hair feels different. Feels lighter at the temples, dryer in front, haircut doesn't look as good. Hair doesn't look as healthy. This has been experienced many times, I know it can't be placebo. Smoking weed def. has an effect on my hair.

My hair grows a lot faster on weed, I have them cut about every month and they're thick when I do. From previous experiences (had three weeks without, and months when I rarely smoked) I felt like they barely grew. Although this isn't necesarily linked to hair loss.

They also shed more on weed, which is very confusing for someone who don't know if he should smoke or not (at this point the decision is only for my hair). Although my theory is that since they grow a lot more they also shed a lot more (and the sheds are usually longer hair, than on no-weed). My hair just seem to be on a faster cycle.

This year I smoked less and I remember at some point I could feel the skin some places in the temples/ear area, now I had began to smoke a lot again for a month and when I got my hair cut, the same area felt like carpet, it was thick and felt "young". This might be because shorter hair in general feel better, this is a bit too anectodal but still I'll be watching for this feeling of skin in the next weeks/month.

Anectodal experiences on the internet. There is people who had the same experience, but there's also people claiming that weed made their hair thinner, this is again something confusing. We are not many, which makes it look like placebo. I need to experience longer. There is these anecdotes of guy who have smoked for 40 years, stop smoking and started losing hair when they had a full head of hair. Sure it could just be male pattern baldness appearing but chances are there would have been previous signs. In these anecdotes, some of them have started back few years later and claim they're growing back slowly (or at least are not losing anymore).

Now about my male pattern baldness it did start around the same time I started smoking weed. Thing is I started smoking around 18 so it might be a coincidence. For a long time I got worried that it was because of it, but I think the fact that I would stop/start made it worst than If I had just continued smoking all the time. (I explain it in my theories) And now I'm 21 and I might have got .5 higher on the scale, it feels like they maintain but sometime are worse, sometime are better. Kind of like I stop and start weed.

Also, hippies with long hair. I mean have you ever seen a bald hippie?

Theories :

Although none of this is proven facts (studies are opposed), it is said that weed would lower testosterone, and raise estrogen level. I think the answer is in the hormones. I also think that the fact this isn't talked about much is because they can't do official studies on illegal drugs, if it was legalized I think we would learn a lot more about marijuana.

Hormonal imbalance could be the answer, the fact that I go from smoking for a long time to not smoking, my body has to adjust and it might make my hair like that. So stopping and starting would be worse than just smoking all the time or not smoking at all. As I said I need to experience longer and see if it's better in 3 months.

Marijuana side-effects share common points with propecia. Mood change, negative sexual effect, manboobs, weariness, anxiety etc. All of it at a lower extent.

Also to a lesser extent, stress could have an effect as weed raise cortisone. I believe stress has little permenant effect, I mean the Dalai Lama is bald for buddah's sake.

I don't believe smoke has anything to do with it, although it is said it might damage hair follicle. Hormone is really the biggest part, otherwise tobacco smoker (who smoke a LOT more than weed smoker) would be bald. By anectodal evidence, I refuse to believe that (it might have a 1% effect).

The faster cycle of hair on weed might be a bad thing on long-term and actually accelerate the process of hair loss even tho in short-term it feels like it help.

So I really don't know if it makes it better or worst, there's so many parameters and experiences that seem opposed. Now I'm on day 5 of my no-weed resolution and I'll be watching this and giving updates in a month, and 3 months. Please share if you had similar or opposite experiences.

Thank you for reading

B

beliel

lol you're right, but he might be the kind of guy who would have been N7 by 25 years old, who knows. I should do a survey on a stoner forum, see if the average is less than normal population. But this is the perception I have.

Oh btw I think Im more N1 as far as hairline, just looked up the chart.

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
most of bad brains have been hit by male pattern baldness by now, they've been smoking ridiculous amounts of weed for the last few decades. ditto snoop. woody harrelson is another big advocate of weed, pretty much totally bald.
hell, my hairloss started back when i was 15 or 16 and still smoking my body weight in various substances.
face it, it's genetics.

B

beliel

Gosh.. I wrote it in the first paragraph. Yes it is caused by genetics, but other elements can have an impact.

jabbathehair

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I have read weed can actually advance male pattern baldness in some people 'possibly' plus you ever thought that maybe your hair feels different because you're not stoned anymore and now see reality straight lol. c'mon male pattern baldness is not going to advance in two days!

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
okay, you did write that. don't get snippy with me, it's still a stupid thread. hell - it'd be a good idea or suggestion maybe, if all of the anecdotal evidence you gave wasn't immediately wrong. the 'never a bald hippie' type thing.

blondguy

Reaction score
The only problem with what you are saying is you CANNOT notice positive or negative effects on hair loss in a few short days. The nature of the beast- the the life cycle of hair growth brings about changes over a certain period of time. A couple days, or even a couple weeks is no where near long enough to effectively see any effects from something you have done.

boobyinspector

Established Member
Reaction score
Did you ever think that the marijuana was changing your perception of your own hair? I know that when I used to do weed I saw things way differently than when I didn't.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I say coincidence not cause and effect. Your hair loss just going like normal regardless of what you smoked.

Kuit

Reaction score
Smoking weed really does make things look better, unfortunately it's only in the mind.

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
I personally think it does not have an effect on hairloss. THC can be traced in the hair, so it definitely gets there, but for hairloss I don't think it has an effect. I go to a pretty liberal school in a small town and I can say I know a ton of stoners and most have no visible hairloss. There is that stereotypical hippie stoner type and all have dreadlocks or long hair. I also know some stoners that are full bald. I think if you have male pattern baldness it will take its course. Weed will not speed up or slow it down. The stress induced or relieved from weed may have an effect though. If you get all paranoid when you are high, it might not be helping you out too much. I do have to say I do think there is a correlation between mindset/personality and hairloss though. As I said I go to a liberal school and almost everyone there has great skin and thick hair. Tons of long haired hippies running around to ruin my day. All the super liberal people that do not care about solving actual issues but instead just b**ch about how we are killing the earth and rave about Obama all have very thick hair. It fits their personality. And also these super liberal types, tend to be care free and hence low stress and don't mind puffing a joint every once in a while. That's where the correlation is between weed and hair growth.

michaelle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hm, that's interesting. Do you think that taking CBD can improve your hair? I would like to get some thoughts and info about it here. I heard that CBD is really good. Have a look at We Be High for some more info about it also. Maybe you will find it interesting to you too

Last edited:

Bornwithacurse225

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Opposite for me. Whenever I smoke j I notice hair falling out all over and my hairline f*****g stings bad and the crown thins and it starts burning too and when I touch my head around my thinning areas it burns and stings if I put pressure on it

and then my hair itches really bad all around my hairline and I feel like small acne spots forming there and those are really sensitive and sting and burn easy.

Every time I smoke.