Stopped rogaine while dread shed and still shedding

Sandy12

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Maybe anybody experienced something similar - I started rogaine 5 weeks ago and the dread shed began after 2 weeks, about 250 hairs per day.

When I lost about 700 days on a washing day one week ago I decided that this would not be healthy :nono: . Of course I was aware that shedding would start but I just consider that it mustn't be that much. I instantly discontinued with rogaine, so all in all 4 weeks of usage.

Now, 1 week after having stopped, shedding continues like before and I wonder how long it takes until the effect of minoxidil will diminish ...

Anybody who is/was in the same situation? When did the shedding stop? I had no Telogen Effluvium at all before and I wish I hadn't started minoxidil - no matter the receding hairline...

Sandy

Artista

Established Member
Reaction score
You may have more going on than just a possible minoxidil shed. You don't say anything about your hair loss history or how old you are. I assume you are a female. You should get lab work done as it could hormones or something else causing this and not just stopping minoxidil. Derms are useless. I'd suggest a good endocrinologist or even a gyno since for many of us female hair loss-ers, hormones are usually involved somewhere.

Sandy12

Reaction score
Hi Artista,

thanks for your reply. I'm 29, female, had no Telogen Effluvium before and a receding hairline for as long as I can think of. However, my status has not worsened in the past years and I thought, I might give rogaine a try. Should have visited more forums like this before ... :woot: As I said, I had no Telogen Effluvium before (maybe 50 hairs per day lost), and this is why I can definitely track the shedding to rogaine.

I'm seeing a gyn, but at the moment I'm just interested in when the shedding will stop after having stopped rogaine. I think I won't use this stuff again ...

Sandy

pathfinder

Reaction score
Minoxidil shedding is only affecting telogen hair, that is hair destined to fall out anyway in the next 3 months. minoxidil only fastens the process by stimulating hair growth. You should'nt have stopped using it anyway. But you need to find out the initial cause of hairloss as Artista said.

Sandy12

Reaction score
Thanks pathfinder,

this sounds a bit calming to me ... The thing is, there was no initial cause of hairloss since the hairloss started 2 weeks after I started with Rogaine (dread shed, I know), so I cannot help myself but track it to this. I hope it will stop as soon as at began ... :whistle:

Sandy

pathfinder

Reaction score
You misinterpreted my answer. There is nothing calming in such huge shed with rogaine. It just revealed the problem that was already there. Stopping rogaine won't solve that problem, though the shedding might lessen. You need to see the doctor. Hair don't fall out for no reason.

Sandy12

Reaction score
Oh sorry, stupid me ... and thanks again. Ok, I will watch how the shedding continues, however, my basic blood values were alright (ft3, ft4, a litte low on ferritine, no inflammation etc. :dunno: ) I do not think that doctors are much helpful when it comes to hairloss, but if I do not get back to the hairloss status I had before using Rogaine I will give it another try (gyno, endo)

Sandy12

Reaction score
Update - Stopped rogaine while dread shed and still shedding

I've been off rogaine for 2 weeks now (after 4 weeks of application) and the shedding has rather increased. In average 300 hairs per day.

I can't believe that this crap is an over-the-counter product! :thumbdown2: Remember, I had no shedding at all before. Anyway, I try not to let it spoil my Sunday ...

G

Re: Update - Stopped rogaine while dread shed and still shedding

Sandy12 said:
I've been off rogaine for 2 weeks now (after 4 weeks of application) and the shedding has rather increased. In average 300 hairs per day.

I can't believe that this crap is an over-the-counter product! :thumbdown2: Remember, I had no shedding at all before. Anyway, I try not to let it spoil my Sunday ...

Well you're lucky if you can lose 700 hairs per day and still have some in your head. 700 hairs would be almost all I have on top!

T

Timi

minoxidil makes me shed 11Month and never End
my Front ist soooooo thin and the Hairs looks ill

No New Hairs

can minoxidil works bad for mutsch Men??

Timi

Artista

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Update - Stopped rogaine while dread shed and still shedding

Sandy12 said:

It's not the Rogaine. You have a hairloss problem that you need to figure out which type and go from there. Not doing anything will make it worse. Check out the her hair loss help board and others for women and don't sit back and do nothing.

Sandy12

Reaction score
Artista,

But what kind of problem should that be? I had no Telogen Effluvium at all before using Rogaine (I checked the bin for old hair clumps lost in the shower three days before the shedding started, it was about 50). The shedding started instantly (not gradually) over night after 2 weeks of application. My basic blood values are also o.k., I didn't change BCPs nor did I take other drugs.

I contacted a guy who wanted to proof that minoxidil did not do any harm to persons not suffering from hairloss. Thus, he had a friend of him with full hair (no signs of loss) and this friend applied minoxidil. After 2 weeks he instantly started shedding so badly that they stopped the experiment in order to avoid further damage. This guy had dealt with the minoxidil induced shedding for another 4 weeks although he didn't have hairloss before and although he had applied minoxidil for only 2 weeks.

I would not rule out that there might be an underlying problem in my case (of which I don't know, however), but it just seems strange that the same thing happened to that other guy, too.

However, I'm going to see the gyn next week and hope the shed will diminish meanwhile ...

Artista

Established Member
Reaction score
Well from what I gather, the hair that falls out from Rogaine was going to fall out since it went into teligan like 3 months ago. It doesn't cause all hair to fall out. The ones afflicted with DHT is what I gathered from the forums. I would check out herhairlosshelp and write your story there and ask on the forums. I had signs of Androgenetic Alopecia though I didn't see it until all of the sudden a big shed hit. I went to color my hair in May 2006, my scalp started hurting, and the high sheds began. I blamed it on the color (which I had done the same thing for years), but even stopping it didn't stop it. I have Androgenetic Alopecia, CTE. Labs found I had high DHEA and low estrogen. My ferritin also wasn't ideal. I learned a lot on the website I mentioned above. There was a trigger for me, the hair color. But it wasn't the color that made it happen. It just happen to start at that time. You need to see if you have any medical condition or what it can be and start treating it if you choose that route. The sooner you start on a plan, the better the chances of some recovery. There is a ton of info on that website. I only read what pertains to me, but I tell you there are all kinds of stories there and the women are all very knowledgable and very kind.

Baraian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Maybe anybody experienced something similar - I started rogaine 5 weeks ago and the dread shed began after 2 weeks, about 250 hairs per day.

When I lost about 700 days on a washing day one week ago I decided that this would not be healthy :nono: . Of course I was aware that shedding would start but I just consider that it mustn't be that much. I instantly discontinued with rogaine, so all in all 4 weeks of usage.

Now, 1 week after having stopped, shedding continues like before and I wonder how long it takes until the effect of minoxidil will diminish ...

Anybody who is/was in the same situation? When did the shedding stop? I had no Telogen Effluvium at all before and I wish I hadn't started minoxidil - no matter the receding hairline...

Sandy
Dear Sandy

I hope you will see my message. I started using rogaine 5% for one month and my hair went crazy. My dermathologisy told me to go go to 2 % . can you please let me know after how much time you hair went back to normal?