stopped my hairloss

let31257

Reaction score
I'm in my mid forties when I noticed I was thinning out and losing some hair. My youngest brother had already gone bald and my other younger brother was severly thinning all along the top of his head. My hair was also thinning along the entire top of my head and getting shorter too. I first started out with Proscar (finasteride) cut into quarters which came out to 1.25 mg daily. I was on this for a year and a half and then switched to generic dutasteride (Dutas) at 0.5mg daily. I switched because I noticed that finasteride was slowing but not stopping my hairloss and because generic dutasteride came out which made this switch affordable. I'm paying a dollar a pill. I've been on Dutas for 16 months now and I haven't noticed any thinning or hairloss. My hair is thicker and grows longer then when I used finasteride. Now I did not regrow any hair that I lost and I never experienced any of that shedding I've heard about. The only side effects has been a temporary reduction in libido. I noticed this right away with finasteride and it got worse when I started dutasteride but with time I was back to my old self. Good luck to any of you out there.

Larry

jeffsss

Reaction score
how long did you begin noticing that finasteride was slowing down your hair loss..

oh, and congrats! :p

let31257

Reaction score
I started noticing some thinning around 14 months. Now the thinning was sleight if at all, it's hard to be sure. I've read posts about how some Propecia users had problems with finasteride after using it for 3 or 4 years and since generic dutasteride just came out around May of last year, I decided to make the switch with it after reading many postive posts about it. I think a lot came down to costs and the chance to try something better. Avodart was expensive and the generic stuff was more affordable. I'm not sure what ther going rate for Avodart is today. I use Dr. Reddy's brand (Dutas) and have had no problems nor have I read anything negative about it. I beleive a person can order up to a 3 month supply with no problems.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
let31257 said:
I started noticing some thinning around 14 months. Now the thinning was sleight if at all, it's hard to be sure. I've read posts about how some Propecia users had problems with finasteride after using it for 3 or 4 years and since generic dutasteride just came out around May of last year, I decided to make the switch with it after reading many postive posts about it. I think a lot came down to costs and the chance to try something better. Avodart was expensive and the generic stuff was more affordable. I'm not sure what ther going rate for Avodart is today. I use Dr. Reddy's brand (Dutas) and have had no problems nor have I read anything negative about it. I beleive a person can order up to a 3 month supply with no problems.

I use saw palmetto with finasteride (Proscar) as well as a number of other less proven treatments and have alot of new vellus and some new terminal hair on the top and front. I may switch to dutasteride, but because I get a free UK NHS prescription from my understanding doctor, I am sticking to finasteride for now. I am 48 and was totally Norwoood bald 20 years ago.
Boru