Stopped my Hair Loss for 4 years on Finasteride (Propecia)

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I'm on year 8 of Finasteride, haven't posted here in years because I've almost completely forgotten about my hairloss, aside from taking the pill every day. It's still working, and I'm seeing all kinds of new growth on my hairline still. My hairline is better than it was at 19 when I first started (had fairly aggressive loss), I'm 27 now, and my hair is back to teenage thick. I can't believe it honestly. It's good to hear other people are seeing similar success, seems like a lot of doom and gloom usually.

great to hear the drug working well for people. Did you experience any side effects?

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm on year 8 of Finasteride, haven't posted here in years because I've almost completely forgotten about my hairloss, aside from taking the pill every day. It's still working, and I'm seeing all kinds of new growth on my hairline still. My hairline is better than it was at 19 when I first started (had fairly aggressive loss), I'm 27 now, and my hair is back to teenage thick. I can't believe it honestly. It's good to hear other people are seeing similar success, seems like a lot of doom and gloom usually.

That's awesome to hear. You just on finasteride? What brand? 1mg Propecia? Hopefully a veteran like yourself sticks around, some words of wisdom would be good to read. :p

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
^ hear hear. It gives some of us a great deal of hope when we hear success stories lasting nearly a decade.

Deaner

Reaction score
No side effects to speak of, it's been a very easy ride for me.

I originally started on Propecia, but I've been on a generic for about 3-4 years because it's cheaper, not sure who makes it but it seems to still be working just fine. I started finasteride at roughly a NW2.5-3, and I'm currently probably holding out around 2-2.5. It's definitely improved (albeit slowly) over the years. Certainly hasn't become any worse, and nobody has any idea I have a receding hairline unless I tell them basically. A good haircut and decent overall thickness can go a long way.

The biggest gains I've made were thickness, my hair is back to nearly its original thickness and it looks great wet, that used to be the most depressing part for me was the post-shower thinness. I was losing my crown big time, and thinning all over the top, and I thickened it back up in a year or two and I've kept it ever since. Like I said, I stopped visiting this site because I'd become happy with my hair, which is why it always sounds like bad news here. Once it works for people, they carry on enjoying their lives.

Cheers.

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
Deaner, I know the post-shower thinness issue, that is what first alerted me to my own loss! Do you remember what sort of time frame after starting finasteride did you notice extra thickness?

Deaner

Reaction score
Hard to pinpoint honestly, it was so long ago, but I'm pretty sure it was at least a year until I started seeing improvements, or at least noticing them. It was at a point where I got a haircut and realized my hair wasn't see through in certain light any more, it was just so gradual it's hard to say exactly when.

Reaction score
Hard to pinpoint honestly, it was so long ago, but I'm pretty sure it was at least a year until I started seeing improvements, or at least noticing them. It was at a point where I got a haircut and realized my hair wasn't see through in certain light any more, it was just so gradual it's hard to say exactly when.

I know it's hard to remember, but you're saying you had noticeable thickness gains around a ~year. How about how long did it take for you to notice the hair at least stopped deteriorating?

I'm curious. I'm just a week in on finasteride, but the itch is definitely gone since I started, and I've had negligible (but noticeable) sides. I'm content with my hair as is, but I wouldn't care for it to get much worse.

ajaygupta004

Reaction score
now please tell me right think about side effect of this medicene.....

- - - Updated - - -

now please tell me right think about side effect of this medicene.....

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
No side effects to speak of, it's been a very easy ride for me.

I originally started on Propecia, but I've been on a generic for about 3-4 years because it's cheaper, not sure who makes it but it seems to still be working just fine. I started finasteride at roughly a NW2.5-3, and I'm currently probably holding out around 2-2.5. It's definitely improved (albeit slowly) over the years. Certainly hasn't become any worse, and nobody has any idea I have a receding hairline unless I tell them basically. A good haircut and decent overall thickness can go a long way.

The biggest gains I've made were thickness, my hair is back to nearly its original thickness and it looks great wet, that used to be the most depressing part for me was the post-shower thinness. I was losing my crown big time, and thinning all over the top, and I thickened it back up in a year or two and I've kept it ever since. Like I said, I stopped visiting this site because I'd become happy with my hair, which is why it always sounds like bad news here. Once it works for people, they carry on enjoying their lives.

Cheers.

Yeah, when the hair gets wet it's a complete nightmare. I won't go swimming anymore because of it. Water and bright lights are my mortal enemy.