Stopped my Hair Loss for 4 years on Finasteride (Propecia)

medusa1984

Reaction score
Hi,

I thought after four years I would post my story, i hope anyone who is as depressed as I was can gain some hope from it.

I started losing my hair when I was about 17 and thank god it was quite slow but I was very self conscious about and as it got worse into my early twenties I was in a very dark place. I suffer from low self esteem so the hairloss was really hard for me. Anyway, I started browsing these forums and started using finasteride. Here is my before photo, sorry about the quality but i never used to take photos so this picture was forced on me for my work id card :) - click on the picture for a bigger version

I've been using finasteride for about 4-5 years now and thank god I feel i have at least maintained and with some clever grooming i feel comfortable not wearing a hat anymore. Here is my after photo:

medusa1984

Reaction score
From my own experience I found that it thickens any hair you have. so i recommend to start it as soon as possible. I don't think it regrew any dead hairs but rather those hairs which were dying grew back stronger and thicker.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

losemyhead

Reaction score
From my own experience I found that it thickens any hair you have. so i recommend to start it as soon as possible. I don't think it regrew any dead hairs but rather those hairs which were dying grew back stronger and thicker.

but it seems like you growing some dead hairs on the templets.

btw,what finasteride youve been taking? at what dosage? where you buy from?
any other treatments beside finasteride?

medusa1984

Reaction score
I've been using the same 1mg finpecia from cipla for the whole time, once a day in the morning. occasionally i will use dutas 0.5mg from cipla one day out of the week as i heard that rotating between finasteride and dutasteride can have some beneficial results. of course long term effects of dutas is not well studied so i am taking a risk with that.

i also use nizoral on and off to treat my dandruff. I tried using rogaine but got terrible side effects, with burning eyes and bad rash on my scalp and forearms so will never touch the stuff again although i know it can have great results.

medusa1984

Reaction score
just wanted to elaborate on my dutasteride usage in case anyone cares. i think the reason it has not gained fda approval is simply due to the limited profitability of a drug which stays in your system for longer, so you need fewer doses compared to a drug like propecia which is required to be taken daily.

its worth nothing that the fda is heavily influenced by pharmaceutical lobby groups in the usa and as such they are unlikely to approve anything against the pharmaceutical profit making interest.

i have been using it for a few years with no notable sides. i think this also applies to any hopes for a cure, even if it was discovered would probably not reach market as a one-off solution has much less potential for a pharma company compared to a remedy requiring frequent prescriptions.

jazz1

Reaction score
always from inhousepharm - very good service always.

- - - Updated - - -

just wanted to elaborate on my dutasteride usage in case anyone cares. i think the reason it has not gained fda approval is simply due to the limited profitability of a drug which stays in your system for longer, so you need fewer doses compared to a drug like propecia which is required to be taken daily.

its worth nothing that the fda is heavily influenced by pharmaceutical lobby groups in the usa and as such they are unlikely to approve anything against the pharmaceutical profit making interest.

i have been using it for a few years with no notable sides. i think this also applies to any hopes for a cure, even if it was discovered would probably not reach market as a one-off solution has much less potential for a pharma company compared to a remedy requiring frequent prescriptions.
I like a man who speaks on my level, great they will never cure us they cause these problems through foods changing our genetic codes etc. cancer cures are thrown out the window since 1930, treatments for cancer make most profit, greedy fffffing pharmaceutical and those FDA controlled gits

irishpride86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So your success is from finasteride or dutasteride, because your using both.

Also please tell me a timeline of shedding and regrowth you noticed..

I've been in finasteride 1.25mg for 14 months... I'm still awaiting results...

jazz1

Reaction score
So your success is from finasteride or dutasteride, because your using both.

Also please tell me a timeline of shedding and regrowth you noticed..

I've been in finasteride 1.25mg for 14 months... I'm still awaiting results...
What results are you awaiting.... You maintained your hairloss looks fine to me.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What results are you awaiting.... You maintained your hairloss looks fine to me.

His hair hasn't changed at all, great hairline and density. The only time I noticed a major difference was when he shed from finasteride, no idea how his hair could get any better.

jazz1

Reaction score
I know, don't get what more he wants.

ohnomyfur

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering how long after starting with your regimen did your hair loss stopped? I am on finasteride for 1 month now, and have only noticed minor decrease of hair loss speed (100 per shampooing to 70 per shampooing).

Quantum Cat

Reaction score

pretty much. When the follicle is completely dead neither finasteride, minoxidil or anything else will grow it back. That's why I wish I had got on finasteride a couple of years before I did - might have saved some of my temple hairs.

the reason people think finasteride isn't effective on the front/temples is because those are almost always the places that male pattern baldness hits first. I'll bet most of the men on the official trials were already receding - that's why they assumed finasteride doesn't work for the front, but it can - you just have to catch it before the male pattern baldness starts , which is actaually very tricky to do

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
pretty much. When the follicle is completely dead neither finasteride, minoxidil or anything else will grow it back. That's why I wish I had got on finasteride a couple of years before I did - might have saved some of my temple hairs.

the reason people think finasteride isn't effective on the front/temples is because those are almost always the places that male pattern baldness hits first. I'll bet most of the men on the official trials were already receding - that's why they assumed finasteride doesn't work for the front, but it can - you just have to catch it before the male pattern baldness starts , which is actaually very tricky to do

Every man on the trials was between NW3 and 4. I can't seem to find the source, but I remember quiet clearly reading it on the propecia website a couple of years ago, before they revamped it.

carlitosbest

Reaction score
I have been using 1.25 finasteride(1/4 of Proscar) ,Biotin (5000mg), Saw Palmetto, Epilobium Parviflores and LLLT for about 8 months.
The results- thickeninh hair and good density.

Deaner

Reaction score
I'm on year 8 of Finasteride, haven't posted here in years because I've almost completely forgotten about my hairloss, aside from taking the pill every day. It's still working, and I'm seeing all kinds of new growth on my hairline still. My hairline is better than it was at 19 when I first started (had fairly aggressive loss), I'm 27 now, and my hair is back to teenage thick. I can't believe it honestly. It's good to hear other people are seeing similar success, seems like a lot of doom and gloom usually.