Still thinning after 7 months on finasteride

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
Surely by now i should have reached a level where my hair loss has at least halted, but it seems to be getting thinner on top and my temples and hairline are still thinning. Not extensively, but noticeable.

anyone else been in the same situation?

I know they're not dud pills either.

could it just be that some people like myself, have either extremely potent dht, or very weak follicles? It's the only logical reason i can think of as to why.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
For most people, it just takes time. Some people respond very quickly, but others take more time. It just took time with me.

Here's a picture on my wedding day. I had been on finasteride for about 15 months.
ncbFy.jpg

Here's a picture of me from the other day. I've been on it about 4 years now
jr7ez.jpg

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
But you're on minoxidil too, right? that stuff was detrimental to my hair loss. I thought mine would have at least stabilized by now. Your hair in both pics looks thick, not much difference imo, just better picture quality in the second.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Trust me, my hairline has lowered and thickened :)

As for minoxidil, I have been using it longer than finasteride....and I honestly am not sure that it's doing anything. However, I'm afraid to stop using it, just in case.

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, i trust your judgement. but the fact that minoxidil accelerated my hair loss (and no it wasn't just a shed) maybe shows i do have more potent dht, or weaker follicles than most people. so that's another reason i kinda think why finasteride may not work for me. It's not something i wanted to use for more than a year so I'm going to use it for another year anyway, seems as my grandparents have just bought me a year's supply from india.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
Rawtashk said:
For most people, it just takes time. Some people respond very quickly, but others take more time. It just took time with me.

Here's a picture on my wedding day. I had been on finasteride for about 15 months.
ncbFy.jpg

Here's a picture of me from the other day. I've been on it about 4 years now
jr7ez.jpg

rwtashk...you keep postying that picture but it's so dark there is no way anybody can tell what your hairline looks like! not saying it hasn't improved, just saying the picrtures you always post from differing angles and lighting don't show anything.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
ukmale24 said:
Fair enough, i trust your judgement. but the fact that minoxidil accelerated my hair loss (and no it wasn't just a shed) maybe shows i do have more potent dht, or weaker follicles than most people. so that's another reason i kinda think why finasteride may not work for me. It's not something i wanted to use for more than a year so I'm going to use it for another year anyway, seems as my grandparents have just bought me a year's supply from india.

ukmale...are you 100% sure minoxidil did speed up your hair loss? Have you ever posted picson here? Reason i'm asking is that i'm also curious of whether minoxidil increased the rate of my hair loss bevcause on my temples where i sprayed it my hair got worse during use and never recovered even afterwards. I have an ayssmetrical hairline now but i've noticed that this occurs in exactly the same pattern that i was spraying the minoxidil every day for over a year.

If I've ever asked a dermatologist or hair transplant surgeon then they just laugh and say 'no minoxidil can'ty make your hair worse'. I'm not convinced. I wish i had never used it.

CarlosSL

Reaction score
Rawtashk,

questions:

1-Take Propecia? proscar? Generic?
2-How much? 1mg? 1.25mg? 0.5mg?
3-How many days a week?

Thank you.

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
gh05 said:
ukmale24 said:

ukmale...are you 100% sure minoxidil did speed up your hair loss? Have you ever posted picson here? Reason i'm asking is that i'm also curious of whether minoxidil increased the rate of my hair loss bevcause on my temples where i sprayed it my hair got worse during use and never recovered even afterwards. I have an ayssmetrical hairline now but i've noticed that this occurs in exactly the same pattern that i was spraying the minoxidil every day for over a year.

If I've ever asked a dermatologist or hair transplant surgeon then they just laugh and say 'no minoxidil can'ty make your hair worse'. I'm not convinced. I wish i had never used it.

yes i'm sure it did, not 100%, can't be that sure on anything but i'm 99% sure it did. check this old thread out of mine:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69599

hairloss on my hairline and temples sped up whilst on minoxidil. and the theory i suggested in that linked thread that minoxidil opens up blood vessels to let in more dht at the same time it lets in nutrients was confirmed by a trichologist over on HLH who was answering questions to do with his hairloss serum. late last year i tried spectral dnc-l and polaris labs nr-07 with no better results. that's why i've resorted to trying other growth agents now.

brian liles

Reaction score
ukmale I have been on propecia for 11 months and 14 days and I still shedding alot and thinning. I am just praying that I am a slow responder and it will take time. but the majority of the hairs I shed are weak less pigmented hairs. I mean really weak. so I am hoping maybe in the future they slowly reverse

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
brian liles said:
ukmale I have been on propecia for 11 months and 14 days and I still shedding alot and thinning. I am just praying that I am a slow responder and it will take time. but the majority of the hairs I shed are weak less pigmented hairs. I mean really weak. so I am hoping maybe in the future they slowly reverse

i don't understand how or why, once finasteride has built up in our system over the time that mine and yours has, we are still shedding. it should have at least halted, i don't even care about regrowth.

brian liles

Reaction score
exactly. I honestly didn't care about regrowth at first when I started. I just wanted to maintain what I had. but since starting it nothing has changed, but I am thinner than before. Funny thing is we don't have aggresive male pattern baldness on my family side either. just mild. I was even thinking of throwing in the towel, but eveyone here keeps telling me to stick with it and give it more time as I can be a slow responder. I mean 11 and a half months is along time, and I should be seeing some result. I mean in your case you are still at month 7, and you have more time. with me time is running out lol. some people say you need 2 years to be on it. but on the propecia website it says only one year, or else it wont likely work. and in almost 2 weeks I will hit 1 year mark. so sad.

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
i think one year should at least halt it, after 2 years some people see regrowth.
i think it's probably better to take it than not, but then only you know how fast your hairloss was before finasteride.

i just wish there was a f*****g cure already. not some sh*t you have to rub into your hair twice a day, or a pill that takes away part of your personality like finasteride does.

brian liles

Reaction score
I am to scared to try rogaine. rubbing it twice is a hassle. plus my Doctor said rogaine is nothing compared to what propecia is. Im juts going to give it more time. maybe it might just kick in at the 12th month mark.

Honestly, you guys migh think I am stupid for saying this. I have had no side affects from propecia at all. i would honestly give up erections and libido for propecia to kick in and work.

the rogaine shedding is scary. if the hair doesnt grow back, then screw rogaine. I have a read alot of scary stuff about rogaine.

I just wish propecia kicks in.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
ukmale24 said:
yes i'm sure it did, not 100%, can't be that sure on anything but i'm 99% sure it did. check this old thread out of mine:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69599

hairloss on my hairline and temples sped up whilst on minoxidil. and the theory i suggested in that linked thread that minoxidil opens up blood vessels to let in more dht at the same time it lets in nutrients was confirmed by a trichologist over on HLH who was answering questions to do with his hairloss serum. late last year i tried spectral dnc-l and polaris labs nr-07 with no better results. that's why i've resorted to trying other growth agents now.

Same happened to me. I wish i could see what my hair would have been like without minoxidil. I spoke to one of the leading hair transplant surgeons in the UK and he said that minoxidil couldn't have made it worse, and that it works by delivering potassium to the follicle...either way I know that i don't want to risk using it again. It didn't make my hair any better so I have no reason to use it in other areas...i'd hate for them to go bald quicker.

You say 'propecia takes away part of your personality' - that's a pretty bold statement - take it you got sides?

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
brian liles said:
I am to scared to try rogaine. rubbing it twice is a hassle. plus my Doctor said rogaine is nothing compared to what propecia is. Im juts going to give it more time. maybe it might just kick in at the 12th month mark.

Honestly, you guys migh think I am stupid for saying this. I have had no side affects from propecia at all. i would honestly give up erections and libido for propecia to kick in and work.

the rogaine shedding is scary. if the hair doesnt grow back, then screw rogaine. I have a read alot of scary stuff about rogaine.

that is another bad thing about minoxidil, it's twice a day and you lose all your gains once you stop taking it, whereas with finasteride, your hair loss resumes as normal once stopped. i

gh05 said:
Same happened to me. I wish i could see what my hair would have been like without minoxidil. I spoke to one of the leading hair transplant surgeons in the UK and he said that minoxidil couldn't have made it worse, and that it works by delivering potassium to the follicle...either way I know that i don't want to risk using it again. It didn't make my hair any better so I have no reason to use it in other areas...i'd hate for them to go bald quicker.

You say 'propecia takes away part of your personality' - that's a pretty bold statement - take it you got sides?

i think a lot of how my hair would look if i hadn't had made the stupid decision to go on minoxidil. i should've just gone on to finasteride from the start.

in regards to that statement i made, for me, finasteride hasn't taken away my libido, but before i started using it, my mind would be more energetic, i'd be full of imagination and creativity, and i genuinely think that was down to T/DHT, but finasteride has supressed that part of me.

Sensie

Reaction score
All that brain fog stuff on finasteride is garbage. If you've ever been on SSRI's you know what brain fog / no erection is.. Absolutly nothing what Propecia does ... the only thing it does it make your sperm a little watery.

K

Kirby

Sensie said:
All that brain fog stuff on finasteride is garbage. If you've ever been on SSRI's you know what brain fog / no erection is.. Absolutly nothing what Propecia does ... the only thing it does it make your sperm a little watery.
Total agreement. I was on various SSRIs from 2001 to 2004, HORRIBLE stuff, what I experienced was what you call brain fog and no libido.

GaryTheIII

Reaction score
ukmale24 said:
brian liles said:

that is another bad thing about minoxidil, it's twice a day and you lose all your gains once you stop taking it, whereas with finasteride, your hair loss resumes as normal once stopped. i

gh05 said:

i think a lot of how my hair would look if i hadn't had made the stupid decision to go on minoxidil. i should've just gone on to finasteride from the start.

in regards to that statement i made, for me, finasteride hasn't taken away my libido, but before i started using it, my mind would be more energetic, i'd be full of imagination and creativity, and i genuinely think that was down to T/DHT, but finasteride has supressed that part of me.

In Same boat as you guys started with minoxidil the spots I used that stuff things got worse after about 6 months things seemed to have stabalized only a few hyairs when washing. Started finasteride now my hair has thinned all over top bottom sides everywhere. However now 6 months in I am losing hairs that look pretty weak REALLY WEAK! Maybe hope? I am holding on to it the very little there seems to be. Recently I have noticed a few hairs that look sort of like a string of fuzz maybe a 1/4 of an inch long so lightly pigmented can hardly see it and looks crunched up.... not a bunch but every once and awhile gives me some hope. Who knows maybe im losing it

sound familiar?

GaryTheIII

Reaction score
ukmale24 said:
brian liles said:

gh05 said:

In Same boat as you guys started with minoxidil the spots I used that stuff things got worse after about 6 months things seemed to have stabalized only a few hyairs when washing. Started finasteride now my hair has thinned all over top bottom sides everywhere. However now 6 months in I am losing hairs that look pretty weak REALLY WEAK! Maybe hope? I am holding on to it the very little there seems to be. Recently I have noticed a few hairs that look sort of like a string of fuzz maybe a 1/4 of an inch long so lightly pigmented can hardly see it and looks crunched up.... not a bunch but every once and awhile gives me some hope. Who knows maybe im losing it

sound familiar?