Still shedding... Duta + Spironolactone. My story.

Ests13

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’m new here and before resuming my story, I wanna specify that I’m from Italy so sorry in advance for my non-perfect English.

With that being said, here’s my story:

in March 2014 I started suffering from tremendous panic attacks and all the bad things related such as generalised anxiety, depression ecc. around August I noticed I also started losing tons of hair, I was 15 and I did not know anything about alopecia, so I asked to my parents to book an appointment with a dermatologist, but they refused saying I was paranoid and my hair looked thick and perfect (I was always a NW1, never had a perfect NW0).

As the years went by, my density seemed to be slowly fading but I wasn’t concerned at all ‘cuz my parents said it looked awesome.

In 2018 (19yo) I noticed that my temples were receding and I was approaching the “M shape”, I immediately went to a dermatologist who, unfortunately, confirmed the diagnosis: androgenetic alopecia. Bursted in tears and thing (I mean, losing hair at a young age is destabilising) she prescribed me some natural stuff with serenoa and minoxidil 2%.

Shedding (and by shedding I mean around 200/250 hair per day) seemed reduced and just in a few months minoxidil regrew some hair.

While minoxidil kept working, my shedding started again, so I went and bought finasteride which, initially worked perfectly, but I started to shed again with no reason after four months or something, I kept taking it, but didn’t do much... I kept shedding, shedding and shedding, my density has remained the same tho, so no change at all.

8th December: I was exhausted from seeing hairs falling out everywhere so I started taking Spironolactone 100mg ED which didn’t stop the shed but gave me a super clear skin; not satisfied by the results, on February 17 I started taking dutasteride EOD and guess what? After two weeks my shedding reduced dramatically... losing 5-10 hair while combing and 10-15 while showering, but, I’ve started developing gyno as well (and I know it for sure cuz my both my nipples are super sensitive now and if I touch the right one, I can feel something hard and circular).

Kind of scared, I’ve decided to keep going, but yesterday my shedding started again and I lost 50+ hair while combing this morning.

I don’t know what to do, seriously, I find myself writing here from Italy with 50% reduced libido and gyno, it’s kind of funny tho.

Ests13

My Regimen
Reaction score
I almost forgot: it’s strange how everything seems to start working initially and then the shed starts again lol

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
what do you mean? is spironolactone the reason I keep shedding?
I'm thinking that it is what is primarily responsible for the gyno. The shedding is probably just from changing the regimen. Btw, under 100 hairs of shedding on a given day is not bad. Keep in mind that some days you will shed a lot and some days you won't - it is cyclical. There are some days where I shed 10 hairs and some days I shed 100. So long as you aren't shedding over 100 every day then I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Ests13

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm thinking that it is what is primarily responsible for the gyno. The shedding is probably just from changing the regimen. Btw, under 100 hairs of shedding on a given day is not bad. Keep in mind that some days you will shed a lot and some days you won't - it is cyclical. There are some days where I shed 10 hairs and some days I shed 100. So long as you aren't shedding over 100 every day then I wouldn't be overly concerned.
Oh okay, thank you so much.
That’s true tho, there are some days in which I hardly lose more than 30 and days (like today) where I easily lose 70/80.
What’s your regimen? Have you seen results?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
30% chance of gyno with spironolactone at 100mg, could be one of the unlucky ones, you could try taking raloxifene along with it to keep gyno at bay.

Ests13

My Regimen
Reaction score
There’s one thing I’ve never understood.
If someone gets gyno, does that mean the regimen is working? I mean, I suppose the level of estro is higher

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've changed my regimen a lot over the past few years, and the one thing I know for sure is that oral minoxidil is the most powerful drug we have. I am trying a few things that I won't have a conclusion on until later this year.

And yes, gyno is generally a good thing in relation to hair.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’m new here and before resuming my story, I wanna specify that I’m from Italy so sorry in advance for my non-perfect English.

With that being said, here’s my story:

in March 2014 I started suffering from tremendous panic attacks and all the bad things related such as generalised anxiety, depression ecc. around August I noticed I also started losing tons of hair, I was 15 and I did not know anything about alopecia, so I asked to my parents to book an appointment with a dermatologist, but they refused saying I was paranoid and my hair looked thick and perfect (I was always a NW1, never had a perfect NW0).

As the years went by, my density seemed to be slowly fading but I wasn’t concerned at all ‘cuz my parents said it looked awesome.

In 2018 (19yo) I noticed that my temples were receding and I was approaching the “M shape”, I immediately went to a dermatologist who, unfortunately, confirmed the diagnosis: androgenetic alopecia. Bursted in tears and thing (I mean, losing hair at a young age is destabilising) she prescribed me some natural stuff with serenoa and minoxidil 2%.

Shedding (and by shedding I mean around 200/250 hair per day) seemed reduced and just in a few months minoxidil regrew some hair.

While minoxidil kept working, my shedding started again, so I went and bought finasteride which, initially worked perfectly, but I started to shed again with no reason after four months or something, I kept taking it, but didn’t do much... I kept shedding, shedding and shedding, my density has remained the same tho, so no change at all.

8th December: I was exhausted from seeing hairs falling out everywhere so I started taking Spironolactone 100mg ED which didn’t stop the shed but gave me a super clear skin; not satisfied by the results, on February 17 I started taking dutasteride EOD and guess what? After two weeks my shedding reduced dramatically... losing 5-10 hair while combing and 10-15 while showering, but, I’ve started developing gyno as well (and I know it for sure cuz my both my nipples are super sensitive now and if I touch the right one, I can feel something hard and circular).

Kind of scared, I’ve decided to keep going, but yesterday my shedding started again and I lost 50+ hair while combing this morning.

I don’t know what to do, seriously, I find myself writing here from Italy with 50% reduced libido and gyno, it’s kind of funny tho.
December 8th as in December 8th 2020 and February 17th 2021? Bro you are in the early days of all this, your shedding is 100% because the medicine is probably working. You need to wait it out and let it do it's thing, which could take over a year.

As for the side effects, the Gyno is probably from spironolactone. Maybe drop that and let dutasteride do it's thing.

Ests13

My Regimen
Reaction score
December 8th as in December 8th 2020 and February 17th 2021? Bro you are in the early days of all this, your shedding is 100% because the medicine is probably working. You need to wait it out and let it do it's thing, which could take over a year.

As for the side effects, the Gyno is probably from spironolactone. Maybe drop that and let dutasteride do it's thing.
Ikr the fact is that 6 years of endless shedding makes you desperate

Ests13

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyway, I’m scared that if I dropped spironolactone, duta could potentially ruin my hairline due to increased testo