Still losing hair after a year of propecia. (Advice Needed)

Andrew21

Reaction score
Hey guys
I am 21 years old and have been taking Propecia(1mg) for 1 year now and I am still losing hair (I have a receding pattern). When I started the medication I was a Norwood 1 and now I am a Norwood 2. Frontal loss is progressing rapidly and I need to decide what to add to my regime.
I have some side effects from Propecia such as liquid semen and erections not lasting as long. This worries me because it seems it would be much worse if I start on Durastride.

I have read of several negative things about Minoxodil that it will only temporarily "mask" the problem and is not a real solution. Is this true?

Are there any anti androgens I could use along with Propecia?
I have heard about using Durastride topically...

My options seem very few and I am becoming desperate to quickly add something to my regime because Propecia is not maintaining my hair.
(Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated!!)

MI92

Established Member
Reaction score
That's seems odd that you have continued to recede despite being on Propecia. I have read anecdotes like this before when people take finasteride to maintain what they have but it ends up getting worse. I'm fairly new to this whole hair thing so I'll let someone else chime in. Perhaps you're not just responding to Propecia?

Folliman

Established Member
Reaction score
Take a blood test to check your DHT levels. Just out of curiosity, why did you start treatment being a NW1?

Andrew21

Reaction score
Take a blood test to check your DHT levels. Just out of curiosity, why did you start treatment being a NW1?
Folliman - I started treatment because I went to two different doctors that told me I had male pattern baldness. They said to start treatment as soon as you notice hairloss. What are my options? How can stop my hairline from receding?

- - - Updated - - -

That's seems odd that you have continued to recede despite being on Propecia. I have read anecdotes like this before when people take finasteride to maintain what they have but it ends up getting worse. I'm fairly new to this whole hair thing so I'll let someone else chime in. Perhaps you're not just responding to Propecia?

MI92 - I am either not responding to Propecia or my hairloss is too aggressive for it to work.

*What about topical
finasteride & topical durastride? Anyone have experience with these topicals?

Andrew21

Reaction score
Can I get some more responses here? I think we can start an interesting discussion about Finasteride at the 1 year mark...

bluejay

Established Member
Reaction score
Apply rogaine 5% to the temples ; some people (especially the younger guys) have gotten regrowth in that area with pics to prove it. Propecia mainly seems to halt the hormonal mechanism behind balding while rogaine is the heavier-lifter as far as regrowth goes.

Andrew21

Reaction score
Apply rogaine 5% to the temples ; some people (especially the younger guys) have gotten regrowth in that area with pics to prove it. Propecia mainly seems to halt the hormonal mechanism behind balding while rogaine is the heavier-lifter as far as regrowth goes.

I'm trying to stabilize my hair loss with anti androgens, in case I need a hair transplant in the future. My main concern is keeping the hair I have not regrowing it. Do you personally use any topical anti androgens? Any advice with them for frontal loss?
Any info would be appreciated.

johndilly

Reaction score
Hey guys
I am 21 years old and have been taking Propecia(1mg) for 1 year now and I am still losing hair (I have a receding pattern). When I started the medication I was a Norwood 1 and now I am a Norwood 2. Frontal loss is progressing rapidly and I need to decide what to add to my regime.
I have some side effects from Propecia such as liquid semen and erections not lasting as long. This worries me because it seems it would be much worse if I start on Durastride.

I have read of several negative things about Minoxodil that it will only temporarily "mask" the problem and is not a real solution. Is this true?

Are there any anti androgens I could use along with Propecia?
I have heard about using Durastride topically...

My options seem very few and I am becoming desperate to quickly add something to my regime because Propecia is not maintaining my hair.
(Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated!!)
take propecia while using rogaine. Cut out all soy, gluten, wheat, dairy, red meat and other ****ty food products. Increase your vegetable and fruit diet and decrease meat diet. And NOFAPPING

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm trying to stabilize my hair loss with anti androgens, in case I need a hair transplant in the future. My main concern is keeping the hair I have not regrowing it. Do you personally use any topical anti androgens? Any advice with them for frontal loss?
Any info would be appreciated.

Topical Finasteride/Dutasteride are pointless.

You are either a poor responder to Propecia or your hairloss is too aggressive. You may want to consider trying Dutasteride (stronger version of Propecia) or a topical anti-androgen like RU.