Still, Itching

SDguy

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I posted a while back writing about considerable itching. I am on propecia, and use minoxidil once a day before I go to bed. During my first post, I was using nizoral 2x a week and T-gel 3x a week. Many of you suggested this could lead to overdrying, so I cut down to nizoral 1-2x a week and T-Gel rarely. My head still ITCHES LIKE CRAZY! I find myself waking up scratching feverishly at my scalp. Does anyone have any more suggestions? It seems mostly caused by the minoxidil, because its not nearly as bad when I stop using that for a few days. But also this problem seems to have become more noticable when I moved houses (hard water vs soft water?). Or maybe there are minerals in the water at my new house?
I'm going crazy, any suggestions greatly appreciated :)
I worried that itching the scalp may be worse then the benefits of using the minoxidil...

misterium

Reaction score
bump!

cook'n'milkies

Established Member
Reaction score
well, I know I have hard water in my house and If i wash my hair in the shower I find my irritation is much worse. For now, until I get this problem alleviated I wash my hair seperately in some brita filtered water.

Axon

Reaction score
Could definetly be the PPG in the minoxidil. What brand are you using? Store bought UpJohn?

Rogaine made my scalp itch like a motherfucker.

joeb

Reaction score
I had the same itch when I first started... drove me frickin nuts. I woke up in the morning with scabs on my scalp from scrathing in my sleep. I found a very simple treatment that worked immediately for me: American Crew Revitalize Spray Solution. I applied 1.5ml via a dropper directly to my scalp after my hair completely dried after a shower. That was the end of it. When it starts to flare up a bit (pretty rare) I apply some.... gone! try it. joeb

SDguy

Reaction score
American Crew?

Thanks for the help guys - I will definately try the American Crew stuff. I am using Rogaine (brand name). I didn't realize there was a difference in minoxidil... should I try something else?
To answer the hard water question - water is "hard" when there are substantial calcium (and other minerals) deposits in the water. Unless you have a water softener, your water is at least somewhat hard. A water softener replaces the calcium ions with sodium ions, making your water "soft" . Hair lathers better, etc with soft water. Unfortunately I live in a rental house and am only 24, so I can't really afford to put a softener on the house...
Thanks again guys!
Tyler