Steroid Sulfatase Inhibitors to treat male pattern baldness

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Got this from another forum...
STS in skin
STS(Steroid Sulfatase) is also found in the epidermis, and there is increasing evidence that its action within skin may make an important contribution to androgen production in this tissue. It has been known for some time, since the description of a deficiency of STS in X-LI (121, 122), that STS has an important role in skin function. Clinically, X-LI is characterized by scaling of the skin with large, dark-brown scales and an increase in stratum corneum thickness (123). Lipids are important for normal stratum corneum structure and function and may be important for the process of normal desquamation. Concentration of cholesterol sulfate in stratum corneum, and the scales associated with X-LI, are increased (5-fold) compared with levels in stratum corneum from normal subjects (124). Because STS inhibitors currently in development could severely reduce STS activity in skin, it is reassuring to note that ichthyosis can be readily treated by the topical applications of keratolytic agents, such as ammonium lactate or cholesterol cream (125).

Plasma concentrations of DHEAS can be increased in subjects with androgenic alopecia or hirsutism (126, 127). It is therefore possible that this steroid sulfate may be an important precursor for the formation of more active steroids within the skin. DHEAS can be converted to 5-dihydrotestosterone, the androgen that activates the androgen receptor, in axillary hair follicles (128). Using an immunohistochemical technique, STS was found to be predominantly expressed in the dermal papilla of hair follicles (129, 130). STS activity was also highest in the dermal papilla fraction of hair follicles. Its activity could be effectively inhibited with 1 nM of the potent STS inhibitor estrone-3-O-sulfamate (EMATE) (130). In patients with acne vulgaris, there is some evidence of increased STS immunoreactivity in affected skin areas (131). Thus, STS inhibitors may be of value in treating skin and/or hair conditions in which the action of the enzyme may be increasing local production of biologically active androgens. "
http://edrv.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/26/2/171
One can google "Steroid Sulfatase Inhibitors hair loss" and find tons of information on it..its nothing new, i saw an article dated 1995 mentioning them.

When I googled "EMATE" I came upon a site that said:
"This inhibitor, estrone-3-O-sulfamate (EMATE), was synthesized by treating the sodium salt of estrone with sulfamoyl chloride. "
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7547880

I guess one would have to be a chemist to create this. And its also being tested as a cancer therapy so im not sure how comfortable one would be to drop this on their scalps with no clinical trials. Some of the SSI's have been found to increase estrogen a lot.
This is prob a long way off, but figured someone with more knowledge could weigh in

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Nizoral may work similarly. At any rate it does inhibit a pathway that is further back from the creation of testosterone. One that I cant recall right now. Then again there are a lot of different ways that Nizoral may work.
hh

ALightInTheDark

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bump this !
Could be interesting

https://scholar.google.fr/scholar?h...tor+hair&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&p=&u=#p=fgF0MA6Fj-8J