Stem Cells What I Learned From A Visite In The Biotechnologie Faculty

forlorn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Imo, it's because Tsuji uses autologous stem cells that are just amplified, whereas 'reprogramming' somatic cells into stem cells (that's iPSC technology) is a lot riskier since tumor-related genes are into play.

But isn't amplifying your own stem cells just as dangerous? How do you make sure that the amplifying process doesn't resume after the cells have been transplanted into your scalp?

byebyehair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But isn't amplifying your own stem cells just as dangerous? How do you make sure that the amplifying process doesn't resume after the cells have been transplanted into your scalp?

The amplifying is due to the medium and conditions in the lab. Not due to a manipulation/mutation of the cells. When you transplant them back in the head they have other conditions and won t grow like creazy.

And that is the point the phd student made. If their protocoll involves something like radiation in the amplifying process which could lead to mutations than the process could leed to tumorgenesis. But riken has to know if they use something that could leed to mutations. Therefore they allready know if their protocoll is save and since they allready mentioned clinical trials in humans they most certanly do not use something that could leed to mutations. (Most amplifying protocolls do not involve technics that could lead to mutation unlike iPSC technologie which is no part of amplifying as far as i know)

Hate da Bt

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not like there is no risk at all with amplifying authentic stem cells. They still do all the tests required to minimize the risk.
Nonetheless, it is well known that iP stem cells run a higher risk of tumorigenesis because of the process of reprogramming itself.
In the former, the stem cells are cultured under optimal conditions and the right cocktail of substances is provided so that quick amplification is induced. In the latter, reprogramming of somatic cells is achieved through the introduction of transcription factors, which activate specific genes. These genes' activation can, unfortunately, lead to tumorigenesis.

byebyehair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not like there is no risk at all with amplifying authentic stem cells. They still do all the tests required to minimize the risk.
Nonetheless, it is well known that iP stem cells run a higher risk of tumorigenesis because of the process of reprogramming itself.
In the former, the stem cells are cultured under optimal conditions and the right cocktail of substances is provided so that quick amplification is induced. In the latter, reprogramming of somatic cells is achieved through the introduction of transcription factors, which activate specific genes. These genes' activation can, unfortunately, lead to tumorigenesis.

Worst case the cells form tumors. It would be a good tumor? The cells can not turn cancerus because of low mobility right?
So even in the worst case it is like getting a cyst.

I forgot to ask him that but maybe you know?

Hate da Bt

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Worst case the cells form tumors. It would be a good tumor? The cells can not turn cancerus because of low mobility right?
So even in the worst case it is like getting a cyst.

I forgot to ask him that but maybe you know?
Cyst formation, I think, is included in the adverse effects.
The worst case is cancer. The risk should be low, though.

forlorn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cyst formation, I think, is included in the adverse effects.
The worst case is cancer. The risk should be low, though.

Is there any way of completely mitigating the risk to the level of naturally occuring hair follicles?

byebyehair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there any way of completely mitigating the risk to the level of naturally occuring hair follicles?

As far as i know rch-01 is also using autologus stem cells and they allready showed no tumorgenesis. And I do not see a reason why tsuji should be different regarding that apect.

forlorn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder how this will affect the hair follicle thickness aspect. They've confirmed that they can change the thickness of hair follicles, but I assume that this will come with an added risk of tumorigenesis if the change in thickness is induced via some sort of reprogramming?

byebyehair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder how this will affect the hair follicle thickness aspect. They've confirmed that they can change the thickness of hair follicles, but I assume that this will come with an added risk of tumorigenesis if the change in thickness is induced via some sort of reprogramming?
In my opinion the hair thickness is not induced by reprogramming but by the sice (amount of cells) of the follicle. The follicles of minaturized hair are also minaturized. By deciding how long they let the follicle grow in the medium they decide how thick the hair will be.

(I could be totally wrong about this, theese are just my personal thoughts)

Hate da Bt

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my opinion the hair thickness is not induced by reprogramming but by the sice (amount of cells) of the follicle. The follicles of minaturized hair are also minaturized. By deciding how long they let the follicle grow in the medium they decide how thick the hair will be.

(I could be totally wrong about this, theese are just my personal thoughts)
You are probably right.

forlorn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This thread is more informative than the actual Tsuji threads. I wish we could ask the man himself about this, but I don't know whether he'd respond to e-mails in English.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
I still have a hard time figuring that nylon thread thing out...
How long will you have to put them on your head and how f*****g ridiculous will it look to show up at work with that.

byebyehair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This thread is more informative than the actual Tsuji threads. I wish we could ask the man himself about this, but I don't know whether he'd respond to e-mails in English.

He wont respond to emails in any language. (He is a busy man)
But what would be your question you d like to get answered?

KevinMcElwee

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Will it be possible to choose The hair Color with RCH-01 by Adding Pigment cells?
I Can not find something about this But with Tsuji it is definitely possible

Hate da Bt

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Will it be possible to choose The hair Color with RCH-01 by Adding Pigment cells?
I Can not find something about this But with Tsuji it is definitely possible
I don't think you can choose the hair color.
Afaik, they add melanocyte stem cells and most probably those give you the color hairs sport on the back of your head.
If you're blonde, the hf will be blonde.
If you're brown-haired, it's gonna be brown.

Baldybald1

Established Member
Reaction score
He wont respond to emails in any language. (He is a busy man)
But what would be your question you d like to get answered?
Not really. Last month I emailed his lab and requested if I can take an appointment with him to discuss the hair regeneration that Takisha is working on and Takisha himself emailed me back and he said I don’t accept any visit.

KevinMcElwee

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think you can choose the hair color.
Afaik, they add melanocyte stem cells and most probably those give you the color hairs sport on the back of your head.
If you're blonde, the hf will be blonde.
If you're brown-haired, it's gonna be brown.

Probably you are right. I Meant this Claim of RIKEN "Furthermore, this method allows control of the hair color by adding pigment stem cells, and the number of hair follicles regenerated, elevating its potential for the aesthetic treatment of alopecia. "

It'd be great for me if RCH-01 can give me an other hair colour but maybe this wish is to much. Getting hair back or maintaining is even more worth.