stef03's Story

stef03

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am so glad I found this site. I am 43 yrs old and started noticing my hair thinning 10 years ago. But it was never a problem because I had very very thick brown, curly hair and you really couldn't tell. (I call it the "poodle effect" where the curls hide the thinness.)

Anyway, I have became concerned about it during the past few years because the thinness has started becoming more noticeable - especially on the top of my head. My hairdresser recommended Nioxin shampoo/conditioner and I have been using this but I still feel that my hair is thinning.

I have to admit that it is depressing and I often have dreams about my hair loss - for example, I'll look in the mirror and my scalp looks like a doll head (with sprouts of hair in rows) or I'll look in the mirror and I'm completely bald. Uugghhh! :freaked:

I hope I can find some help on this site. I just recently started taking a multiple vitamin because I am on the thin side and my diet has not been what it should be. I am sure stress plays a part with my hair problems. I also wonder about environmental toxins like heavy metals. Has anyone done research on this?

Bye for now! :)
Stef

mayalopecia

Reaction score
Hello Stef,

Welcome to the group. I hope we can help you find some answers and grow some hair! In my opinion, Nioxin is not a strong enough treatment to effectively treat hair loss. If you are looking for a shampoo, may I recommend Nizoral? It is an anti-dandruff shampoo which can also improve the thickness of your hair. I am not sure of the level to which you want to treat your hair loss, but there is a wealth of information available, and hopefully some experts to help us all sort through the BS!

-maya

stef03

Reaction score
mayalopecia said:
Hello Stef,

Welcome to the group. I hope we can help you find some answers and grow some hair! In my opinion, Nioxin is not a strong enough treatment to effectively treat hair loss. If you are looking for a shampoo, may I recommend Nizoral? It is an anti-dandruff shampoo which can also improve the thickness of your hair. I am not sure of the level to which you want to treat your hair loss, but there is a wealth of information available, and hopefully some experts to help us all sort through the BS!

-maya

G

Hi Stef!

Thanks for posting here, hope you pop back in frequently!

As for the hair dreams --- I don't even know where to begin! I also have nightmares. Sometimes I too dream of the patches and bald spots, similar to a bad hair cut given to a Barbie doll from a four year old. Other times I'll be dreaming of my full head of hair. When I wake, oh boy, just know I should be mentally prepared for a bad hair day.

Take care, let us know how you are doing

Laura

G

Oops forgot to sign in, just wanted to let you know that the above post was from me :)

Laura