STEE77's story

STEE77

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new here. I'm a 28 year old guy, who has noticed some thinning and receding for years but never did anything about it and just put it off. Well enough is enough and its time for action. I picked up some nizoral and minoxidil and got a prescription for finasteride just today. I am going to attack this using the big 3. I was inspired by the stories of SE-Freak and Peapoddy. Those dudes have awesome stories you should really check out and I hope to have just half of the progress they did. I'm realistic about this, I know I'll probably never have a "thick" head of hair again and I'm ok with that. But I would like to get a little back and if anything, stop the loss. If you guys have questions or comments or hopefully advice, please chime in. I'm very very new to all of this and could use the help. Were not in this alone, folks.

I will try to post pics often, to document any progress. I think thats always helpful for others.

Here's my regimen as of day 1: Here goes nothing

1 mg finasteride 1xday
5% minoxidil 2xday
nizoral m-w-f

israelite

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: My story, Day 1

bro good luck w/ your fight w/ hairloss!. dont be alarmed if u experience heavy shedding on finasteride and minoxidil for the first couple months. propecia+ xandrox 15% plus+ emu oil almost restored my hairloss. i been on prescription Proxiphen for a week and im seeing more growth along the hairline.

mires

Reaction score

My advice concerning Minoxidil would be to find the best way of applying it that works for you and your hair. Back in the day when I first used minoxidil (Rogaine), when I still had hair, I didn't really take my time to do it properly. The result was that most of the stuff ended up in my hair and not on my scalp and as a result of that my hair looked greasy and awful and the male pattern baldness hairloss ended up being a lot stronger than the small amounts of minoxidil that did get absorbed.

Right now I don't have much hair on my head anymore so applying topicals is extremely easy and pretty much everything gets absorbed into my scalp. So essentially I get more bang for my buck.

So my advice to you (based on my own experience) is to take your time, every time, when applying Rogaine and try to do it as properly as possible if you want decent results and if you don't want your hair to look like :puke: after application. Remember that only the minoxidil that actually lands on your scalp will help combat your hairloss. Also, if you get a lot of flakes and dandruff due to Minoxidil then I suggest that you use Nizoral 2% shampoo every day, assuming your scalp can take it. I personally have always had a very greasy scalp and my scalp can easily handle Nizoral every day (in fact daily Nizoral makes my scalp and hair look and feel awesome). Back in the day when I first used Rogaine I didn't wash my hair with Nizoral and the result could be described as "bloody awful".

STEE77

Reaction score

Well, Im now at about 1.5 months.... I am noticing a change. There are many, many little baby hairs sprouting up in my temples and even a few along the hairline. I am encouraged to see this. I know its a long process and it'll take a while for these baby hairs to become normal thicker hairs, but I apparently do respond to the meds or at least the minoxidil up to this point.

I'm using the nizoral shampoo every other day. Apparently my scalp can handle it this often as I notice nothing but a soothing tingle during and after usage and no burn. The dandruff has slowed down from either my scalp getting used to the minoxidil or because of the regular use of the shampoo. I love this keto stuff!

Baby hairs are just baby hairs, so until they transform I wont break out the champagne. However, due to the fact that I am now seeing so many of them along the front of my scalp, im hopeful that I may be a "responder".

I did take a few photos as an update, however they dont really show much. I looked at the before and current photos side by side and didnt see much change. But in real life, when I look in the mirror, I do see slight change and things filling in a bit. Plus, noticable change after only a month is pretty unreasonable to expect. I know that I wont see an obvious change until around month 3. Patience is a virtue.

I'll keep you posted.

Hair is feeling healthier and less weightless, that alone is enough to keep things up.

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score

Lol I thought I was watching my pictures ! Dude you have exactly same kind of haircut, same color hair and same kind of hair loss problem as I do.. I'm just 23 and starting big 3 on next week. Can you let me know if it helps your frontal hairline because wide of mine has decreased maybe 2 cm :( and oh boy I like that kind of hairstyle and well now it looks kind of bad. You / Your story will become my hair loss fight buddy ^_^

grandiin

Established Member
Reaction score

Good Luck man, i saw results in my treatment at month 2 , just keep your regime and be patient. I am in my 12 month, so can say some things, dont be panic if you have some shedd after 2-3 months, that means it working and after every shedd your hair shoud look better!
Cheers

STEE77

Reaction score

So far I really havent had any kind of shed at all. Right before treatment I would randomly have days where I'd feel like I was seeing a lot in the shower (although as we all know shedding is normal and most of us here are extra sensitive to seeing it)... But shortly after starting the regimen I notice that I just started seeing less and less on my hands when I shampoo.

So I dont know if everyone has different results, but I simply went from seeing 10-20 hairs on my hands to seeing 5-10. I'll report it if theres a change but so far no shedding.

I finally got the lighting right to show the baby hairs creeping in. Unfortunately, a very minor side effect is the fact that hair is popping up all along the side of my face due to the minoxidil spreading I suppose. Its a small price to pay but I gotta do some tweezing or my hairline would start meet my eyebrows.

These are from 12/21/11

imag0192y.jpg

By stee77 at 2011-12-21

imag0193y.jpg

By stee77 at 2011-12-21

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score

Are you saying that if I apply minoxidil wrong spots it can mess up my natural hairline ? I mean can it grow hairs where they shouldn't be ? Also about the minoxidil if I think that I'm thinning can I just apply minoxidil foam onto all over my hair like I would do with shampoo ? or should it be applied only the real problem spots as frontal hairline and temples ?

Good luck mate, it's nice to see small hairs growing!

STEE77

Reaction score

Well first of all Im not the guy to ask. But my personal thoughts......yes and no I think. The way I understand it, it wont grow hair where there arent already hair follicles. However, there are follicles all over us so yeah be careful where you spread it (just where you want it) because the little baby hairs all over us can change to darker thicker ones with the minoxidil. I think perhaps everybody responds to it in a different way. Some people see no results and I guess others see a lot. I still wont know where I stand for a few months I guess.

I dont really know how to advise you as I am obviously very new to all of this. But I can tell you that the sides of my face have gotten a little hairier than usual since my regimen. Im not really bothered by this because I am seeing extra growth of baby hairs where I want it also. So Im just going to start using less when I apply as I assume this is just the result of me being a little too sloppy and liberal with my minoxidil application (the area does spread a bit after you place it wherever).

I imagine that once I get better at it, things will be where they are supposed to.

But update wise, still on the same regimen although I have split my propecia tablets in half lately and will continue to do so indefinitely (no sides, just $$ concerns)

STEE77

Reaction score

@Ben,
Mind telling me how the finasteride and minoxidil are still working for you? Am I correct that you have been taking them since 2007?

STEE77

Reaction score

New pics, 1/16/12:

Still on the regimen, hair is feeling a little thicker, still little to no shedding (from what I can tell in the shower, etc.) Not a huuuuuge change, but I think I have reason to be hopeful at least.

Things are filling in a little and less scalp is visible from what I can tell. Now, mind you, my hair is much longer all around as I grow it out in the winter, but even so things seem to be improving week after week.

imag0228in.jpg

By stee77 at 2012-01-16

imag0230p.jpg

By stee77 at 2012-01-16

imag0229n.jpg

By stee77 at 2012-01-16

imag0224kd.jpg

By stee77 at 2012-01-16

STEE77

Reaction score

Update:
3/6/12

Well things have been going pretty well. By that I mean very slow but also steady. I have noticed that while my hairline has been moving forward as rapidly over the last month or so (It can only go so far, I had a high forehead even in my late teens). However I think overall, it all seems a bit thicker and keeps continuing to feel a little thicker each month. I have noticed something in the shower when a few hairs show up in my hands when shampooing. Where most of these hairs used to be lighter colored and fine, many of them are now darker and thicker. I hope that in the coming weeks and months, the fine ones are slowly replaced with these thicker guys...it reinforces the fact that I perceive it to be a bit thicker overall.

Regimen is still about the same. Still using the minoxidil morning and night, still shampooing with the keto a few times a week and I have been alternating every other day with the the finasteride pills. The way I see it, if I can have slow and steady results without risk of sides Ill keep with it. since things are going well with such a low dosage I think perhaps my loss was actually pretty non agressive. I will increase dosage if it begins to catch up.

I have been using tea tree oil shampoo on my off days in order to ease the itch and dandruff flares. It feels quite nice.

New pics today, they arent much help Im afraid as my hair is longer so its hard to show change under all the hair. However I do believe they show a bit in terms of darkening and thickening.

20120306121154.jpg

By stee77 at 2012-03-06

20120306121131.jpg

By stee77 at 2012-03-06

20120306121119.jpg

By stee77 at 2012-03-06

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks alot better than baseline for sure. Keep it up.

:)

STEE77

Reaction score
Update: 5/8/12

Yes Im still here and working on the regime. Things are still going well, Im pleased to report.

The filling in of the temple region has definitely leveled off but is remaining steady. I have noticed a slow but steady thickening all around due to the finasteride. Its a small finasteride dosage but it seems to have countered my slow thinning.

I'm going to get some decent pictures very soon to post int he coming days. I havent been real good about updating this with comments or pics lately because well....things havent changed much (which I consider a good thing, because so far Ive seen a slow stream of progress)

I do get a small shed once a month lately. I notice it in the shower that most days only a few hairs come out in the shampooing, but once a month I'll have a week where its a decent amount more, but after that week it seems to go back to normal. I imagine this is just the normal hair cycle (possibly speeded up by the regimen?) Its a mixture of mostly thinner hairs but some thicker hairs, which I find odd.

Does anybody notice that while the initial testicle pain goes away after the first month or so, it seems to come back for a day or so every few months? Is this just me? Or does this maybe have something to do with occasional differences in my junk or hormones?

Anyway, things are good. Pics coming soon!