Starting To Experience Side Effects On Propecia. What Should I Do?

Gfish

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

Apologies I have been asking a lot of questions about Propecia on here recently!

I'm 23 and recently noticed my hairline receding (I'll say im about NW2). So I started taking Propecia 3 months ago (1mg a day). I havent seen any improvement in my hair yet and I havent experienced any sides until recently. Seems like all these sides have come in this last week! I didn't notice any before then. But now im experiencing a mild aching pain in my testicles, which is very uncomfortable. Occasionally a sharp pain in my stomach/sides. Sex drive has lowered. Depression has become much worse, to the point where i have had to take time off work recently. Feeling very tired and unmotivated. And now i think im experiencing 'brain fog'? Just tried to have a conversation with someone and i couldnt even think what to say.. I just stopped talking and stared off in the distance, it was a weird experience. Feels like im struggling to think what to say and do.

All of this may not be because of the Propecia. But it's the only medication i'm taking and before taking it i was fine and didnt have anything like this. So my questions are should i stop taking it? At what point do these sides get serious? Starting to scare me a little. What would you guys do? I have started to take 1mg every otherday instead to see if that helps

thanks

sadila

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
stop it to see how it goes

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Try every other day, and maybe lower the dose to 0.5 mg.

Also, are you sure there is nothing else in your life that is causing you stress? I'm also on it but I don't really know if I have sides or not, as my libido is also affected by my mood and other factors.

ffar1989

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh... my god. I will never be amazed of people who try to find another reason for libido problem rather than propecia.

ffar1989

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Whatever you will do, don't quit "cold turkey". Because as far as I know, you will experience a shock, and it will produce much higher DHT before your body will come back to normal level. And you may end up worse before you started.

BraveTommy35

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would reduce the amount. Half it and then half it again over 8 weeks.

I suffered badly with depression 2nd try with finasteride. And it left me vacant and washed out for a long while.

First time however I was on meds for anxiety and it didn't affect my mind... it was just my penis not working with my new girlfriend that made me stop first time. It was ducking weird.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you decide to quit the drug, do it as slowly as you can manage. At least a few weeks. Gradually spread out the days between the doses at the end of the process.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
If halving doesn’t work...

GET OFF THE DRUG THAT KILLS YOUR DICK

Reactions: Oro

INT

Reaction score
Oh... my god. I will never be amazed of people who try to find another reason for libido problem rather than propecia.

Yes the denial is stong in some people.

Person A: I started finasteride 2 weeks ago and I can no longer get an erection.

Person B: Do you watch p**rn?

Person A: Yes, but have been doing that for 10 years and never had any issues.

Person B: Try nofap, bro. Finasteride sides are just in your head. Nofap gave gave me a sixpack and two extra testicles.

razzmatazz91

My Regimen
Reaction score

Person A: I started finasteride 2 weeks ago and I can no longer get an erection.

Person B: Do you watch p*rn?

Person B: Try nofap, bro. Finasteride sides are just in your head. Nofap gave gave me a sixpack and two extra testicles.

+1
While I encourage every potential baldie to get on propecia, the sexual sides are a reality and you should get off the drug if you have them. Sure, a small minority of people have those sides, but if you are one of them, you have to stop.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
+1
While I encourage every potential baldie to get on propecia, the sexual sides are a reality and you should get off the drug if you have them. Sure, a small minority of people have those sides, but if you are one of them, you have to stop.
Didn't they say the same thing about antidepressants and it turned out to be a lot higher? IIRC recent studies also say the same thing about birth control pills. The majority are fine, but I'm not sure about 2%.

itsAlright

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Person B: Do you watch p*rn?

I think half of the "Person B" people just don't get sides, and the other half are trying really hard to convince themselves they aren't getting sides.

razzmatazz91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Didn't they say the same thing about antidepressants and it turned out to be a lot higher? IIRC recent studies also say the same thing about birth control pills. The majority are fine, but I'm not sure about 2%.

The 2 per cent figure is off of Wikipedia. I read it there about two years ago.
But whatever the percentage, the point is that it's relatively small.

INT

Reaction score
Here is how I feel about the Merck studies.

It is probably the closest thing we have to proof. However, scientific proof does not always mean that it is equal to reality. Especially when there is money at stake. Obviously, the plural of anecdote is not evidence. This does not mean that we should disregard things such as PFS because of the Merck's study does not back it up.

ffar1989

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will just add simple thing...
2% my ***.

Reactions: Oro