Starting recession as an 18 year old

123stickman

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have just turned 18 a few months ago, and noticed then that my hair had started receding. What would be the best way to start solving the problem? I'm 6'3 tall around 189 cm with a skinny frame, i have a decent amount of facial hair compared to other white 18 year olds. (Sorry english is not my main language) (Im not quite sure if the pics have been posted or not, let me know if you cant see them)

Last edited:

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds like you caught it early but without pics no ones gonna tell you to get on finasteride. What's your family history of baldness like?

123stickman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds like you caught it early but without pics no ones gonna tell you to get on finasteride. What's your family history of baldness like?
Well my mums dad died at around 87 with only a tiny bit of recession at the temples. My dad has quite a bit of recession and very thin hair and my mum has very thick hair and no recession or thinning at all. Will post some pics in a minute.

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think this website is a bit glitched at the moment because the photos won't show, did your dad start balding young? You could try get a diagnosis of male pattern baldness by a dermatologist.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have just turned 18 a few months ago, and noticed then that my hair had started receding. What would be the best way to start solving the problem? I'm 6'3 tall around 189 cm with a skinny frame, i have a decent amount of facial hair compared to other white 18 year olds. (Sorry english is not my main language) (Im not quite sure if the pics have been posted or not, let me know if you cant see them)
Given your family history it could just be a mature hairline which is normal. But honestly, if I was balding at 6'3 I wouldn't care as much because your height is ideal in the dating market.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started noticing recession at 22, I went from a rounded female looking hairline to a nw2 in less than two years. I was certain I'd have noticable hair loss by age 30.

Never happened. I'm 46 now, and I'm a 3 vertex. I remained nw2 until about 40.

My advice is to watch your hairline and crown for a couple of years, take pics every few months under identical light and position. If you're losing in you early 20s start finasteride.

FBaldy

Reaction score
Start on some form of treatment even if it is just finasteride tablets at least, the key to controlling hair loss is to catch it early and deal with it then.

In my case started going very thin on the sides and front @ 19-20. But when you have so much thick overall hair you can really ignore or hide it but don't since that can easily go, some do lose it much quicker while others it takes decades for it to eventually go.

I started too late with my hair loss treatments (late 20s, early 30s) and it didn't really do much even though I had ok hair probably Norwood 2/3 at that point now its all gone by mid 40s.

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Start on some form of treatment even if it is just finasteride tablets at least, the key to controlling hair loss is to catch it early and deal with it then.

In my case started going very thin on the sides and front @ 19-20. But when you have so much thick overall hair you can really ignore or hide it but don't since that can easily go, some do lose it much quicker while others it takes decades for it to eventually go.

I started too late with my hair loss treatments (late 20s, early 30s) and it didn't really do much even though I had ok hair probably Norwood 2/3 at that point now its all gone by mid 40s.
This is good advice, I wasted 2 years hoping that my slight thinning was a maturing hairline and ignored it and it took me till I could noticeably see thinning in the mirror to do anything about it, wish I'd just taken finasteride back then.

jazz1

Reaction score
Pictures....?

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score

I started noticing thinning at 28 under very bright lighting at the workplace restroom and thought it was just the lighting and now at 31 the thinning is a little worse but hairline is starting to thin. Waiting for endocrinologist appointment to get baseline then starting finasteride. I'm hoping because my hair loss is starting later that I can hold onto hair until 50. My dad started losing hair at 25 but my moms family has very strong hair genes so she may have bought me a lot of time. I can't imagine worrying about hair loss in my 20s. Hair loss is a curse and I hope breezula works and gets approved because stacking an anti androgen treatment that tackles hair loss from 2 different angles is ideal. Plus toss minoxidil in to tackle it from another angle and you have a strong treatment.

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started noticing thinning at 28 under very bright lighting at the workplace restroom and thought it was just the lighting and now at 31 the thinning is a little worse but hairline is starting to thin. Waiting for endocrinologist appointment to get baseline then starting finasteride. I'm hoping because my hair loss is starting later that I can hold onto hair until 50. My dad started losing hair at 25 but my moms family has very strong hair genes so she may have bought me a lot of time. I can't imagine worrying about hair loss in my 20s. Hair loss is a curse and I hope breezula works and gets approved because stacking an anti androgen treatment that tackles hair loss from 2 different angles is ideal. Plus toss minoxidil in to tackle it from another angle and you have a strong treatment.
I think it's more depressing for people who start balding at the crown rather than the hairline because usually when it starts getting noticeable a lot of the hairs are already gone forever without you even knowing anything was happening. Recession is pretty easy to spot at the hairline because everyone sees their hairline every time they look in the mirror.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it's more depressing for people who start balding at the crown rather than the hairline because usually when it starts getting noticeable a lot of the hairs are already gone forever without you even knowing anything was happening. Recession is pretty easy to spot at the hairline because everyone sees their hairline every time they look in the mirror.
Agreed. I think I consider myself unlucky and lucky at the same time. I think balding sucks every time. But mine started later and I did get to go through my teens and 20s not worrying about it. Compared to what I see on YouTube, reddit, the forums here, I know it could have been worse. No one thinks I'm balding but I'm extremely insecure about my hair. A lot of people say they just want to maintain what they have until 30 whereas I'm at 31 and just starting to deal with it. I can't imagine this happening to me during college or in my early 20s where it is heavily stigmatized. My only issue is how I view myself and my personal self esteem over this.

I envy some of my friends who have nw1 at 30 but I don't envy some people on here. I feel sorry for them because it hurts them so much. I hope there will be treatment to cure severe cases within the next 10 years