Starting Proscar (and rest of big 3) - Generic Fistide

CoronaDelMar

Reaction score
Hi all

I noticed my hairline receding at the temples in November. The recession is kind of narrow and goes far back into my scalp.:

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

Started using minoxidil a week ago (Rogaine foam 5 percent) and Nizoral 1% in conjunction. Now I just ordered Fistide from United Pharmacy (5 mg finasteride, generic version of Proscar). These guys are reliable, from what I understand. Just wanted to ask if people cut these into quarters or fifths, and if the dosage is significantly different.

I'd self diagnose myself at Norwood 2, anyone disagree? Anyways, I was wondering what to expect with Proscar over the next year.

I noticed I had holes at my temples in early November...didn't start using any meds until now. Its surprising how quickly you can get on the big 3. My Mom keeps telling me to wait until April (pacing break) to see a dermatologist and then to start using medications. She keeps saying everyone in my family has a "Widow's Peak" and stuff like that...seems like all she wants is to wait...cuz of that it def. took some initiative to get started on minoxidil, finasteride, and nizoral.

drdennis

Reaction score
I just started proscar about 1 month ago and im getting my 1st hair transplant in Feb. I first consulted with my hair transplant doctor (coalition doctor Dr. Epstein) and he said that proscar is fine and you can cut them in 1/4 tabs and take them everyday or every other day!!! He has seen good results with both. PLUS WHEN YOU CUT THE PILL YOU LOOSE SOME FROM THE CUT AND WILL GET LESS THAN THE 1.25 DOSAGE !!! So far no libido problems at all. I went to walgreens and they have a cheap splitter that work great. The pill when cutting you just have to eye it out. My Doctor said that he has seen alot of people taking it every other day so if one piece is smaller,just take the bigger one the next day and rotate,you will be cool man. I am on the minoxidil also and I just ordered the Revita shampoo which is new and has the same active ingredient as nizoral. The guys who are trying the Revita say it great for there hair and is better than the nizoral because it does not dry out your hair and it helps the flakes from the scalp from minoxidil. Also the Revita makes there hair more fuller and softer,some guys are rotating and using both,but the revita can be used everyday where the nizoral should be used 2 to 3 per week. Question for you where is united pharmacy and what are they charging for the proscar? I got a script from my Doctor and I went to cvs and they charged me a $100.00 which will last for 4 months. I have a 6month script from the Doctor,but if you can get a better deal tell me about it!!! Good luck and God bless on your hair growth. Dennis

CoronaDelMar

Reaction score
http://www.unitedpharmacy.com

I got 30 pills of Fistide (whih have 5 mg of finasteride) for $30. If each pill is split in 4, thats a 120 regular doses, or 4 months worth. Thats about 8 dollars a month to get on finasteride, I give more to pan handlers (well, probably not). Its a generic version, but still has the same active ingredients as Proscar/Propecia.

Since the side effects go away are your done taking them, I'm thinking 8 dollars a month is OK to ensure maintenance.