Starting out with dutasteride?

Reaction score
So now that I have decided to try out an anti-androgen within the next few weeks I have been wondering if in my case it would be wise to start out with dutasteride.

Why? I do not have very aggressive hair loss, only a receding (albeit slowly, for now) hairline. Norwood 2.5. However, I have oily skin and acne. Before I get the familiar (though totally in its right) 'eat healthy stuff and get enough sleep' I would like to say that I live a very healthy lifestyle, eat only low glycemic food, rarely drink, don't smoke etc.

However, the foundation of oily skin is caused, according to some research at least, by the type I isoenzyme produced by DHT, along with insulin and IGF-1 aggravating this state.

Apparently finasteride only fights the types II and III isoenzymes (which are on the scalp of the head, thus fighting baldness). According to the most trustworthy source in the world Wikipedia, dutasteride fights all three of these isoenzymes, thus battling the acne and hair loss.

So in my case, won't starting dutasteride be more effective for my situation? I am dying to get rid of my acne and maintain my hair. Is my logic flawed? What would you recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am at my wits end. Thank you.

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
Well thank you, but I wonder if you read my post at all.

I do know that 'should I start dutasteride before finasteride?' initially sounds like a stupid question but just bear with me on the theory I provided.
Honestly, I wouldn't jump straight to dutasteride because you don't know how you will react with less DHT and more estrogen. I'd try finasteride first, because for all you know, your body will react terribly to finasteride, and it would be a lot worse with dutasteride.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bold move jumping straight to dutasteride for the sake of acne. There's plenty of safer options for that.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
For acne, my doctor put me on a cheap topical of adapalene and benzoyl peroxide. I've only been using it for a week so I can't tell you if it's effective yet. I apply it to my upper back / shoulders.

What topicals have you tried?
Salicyclic acid?
Benzoic acid?
Zinc oxide?

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies.

Yeah, I guess I am being way too hasty so I will start out with finasteride.

@David, I have tried pretty much every topical there is. Salicylic acid was very effective in the beginning but wore off unfortunately.
The thing is, topicals don't fight the root cause of acne and anti-androgens supposedly do.