Starting on Proscar tomorrow (pictures)

Reaction score
Hey all.

I'm gonna try to cut one of those tiny pills in 5 tomorrow morning. The thought of shedding is terrifying though. ;)

Some random pics. I'm gonna keep myself (and you) updated with the progress in this thread.
left, somewhat wet:
20806597hh0.jpg

back, somewhat wet:
12746166rc9.jpg

right somewhat wet:
93859398ee9.jpg

dry crown:
95134555xa4.jpg

Replies are much appreciated. What do you guys think?

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score
take some pictures of ur penis as well (for your own records). that way if u suffer sides u'll remember what a normal penis looks like. take one while erect as well. very likely u'll be on here 3mos from now saying ur hair looks sweet but ur having libido/erection issues.

good luck. my opinion is u don't need it but to each his own.

Jack82

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey PAU. How old are you, and do you have thinning elsewhere? Your crown looks like it's thinning, but i've seen guys with crowns like this that never get worse.

Propecia is all you need for the moment if you really have male pattern baldness. I would advise you to visit a derm first and get blood tests.

Reaction score
Hey. I'm only 20. I noticed about exactly 2 years ago that I was losing a lot of hair. (hands full after aplying hair product)
After that I started eating healthy food only, and working out 3 times a week. That really did seem to stop it. I quit all that after 6 months and not long after I noticed it was absolutely impossible to fix my hair the way I used to, and it felt a little thin. Since then it has been progressively, although very slowly, getting worse all over.

The hair line is also receeding quite a bit, but only on the left side.

I talked about this to a doctor a a couple of years ago when I started to notice, and he did say he saw early signs of male pattern baldness. But a couple of weeks ago I went to another doctor to get on finasteride, but she said she couldn't see one single sign of any hairloss at all. :/

Going to a derm might be a good idea, but the wait is extremely long, and its expensive. I'm not sure...

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Hey man just cut them into 4 pieces its a lot easier. Thats what 95% of people do on here and you will get great results :)

Also dont listen to a lot of the guys on here, you might get a few posters saying, "oh you're not going bald" etc etc, or being sarcastic like the clown who posted above us, but I think its awesome you're being proactive and starting finasteride now. I wish I was that smart to start mine at 20! For the record im not 100% convinced your crown is thinning yet, the second picture is just a natural part in the hair at the crown, everyones hair looks like that dude. Its just more noticable on you because you have fine, dusty blonde hair. Check out any girls crown with thinnish type hair and have the exact same thing as you but they are not going bald? Nevertheless you know your hair better than anyone, so its good your onto it.

You should also post some pics of your hairline as well and post them just for the record of the forum :)

Look forward to seeing any possible results. Good Luck :)

Jack82

Established Member
Reaction score
If the hairline is not thinning, i wouldn't get on finasteride yet, maybe check it with monthly photos for a while and if it gets even slightly worse you could start. Post a pic of your hairline with your hair pulled back if you want, so we can say for sure if you have male pattern baldness...

Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
Also dont listen to a lot of the guys on here, you might get a few posters saying, "oh you're not going bald" etc etc, or being sarcastic like the clown who posted above us, but I think its awesome you're being proactive and starting finasteride now.
Thank for the good luck! Yeah, I've noticed very bald people getting jealous when people are in earlier stages of hairloss. Its normal being jealous but responding with anger and bitterness towards that person instead of support, is pathetic in my opinion. You would think when you are basicly in the same position, and you know exactly what their going through, you would be able to empathize and not having difficulty putting yourself in their shoes.

Anyhoo, pics:
no blitz
20676707sp3.jpg

blitz
65488640dt7.jpg

light from lamp
25803202kg1.jpg

light from lamp
16248505hu6.jpg

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Hmm to be honest based on the latest pics I think you have done a very wise thing to get on the finasteride. Something is not quite right with your hair especially the crown and hairline..It looks slightly odd.

My advice to you is since you're now taking finasteride is that you NEVER go off it and NEVER miss a daily dosage. Its really that serious. Once you commit to the drug its for life, you really need to understand that. So make sure your always well stocked up with Proscar. If in 6 months you decided to go off finasteride because you dont see improvement that would be a HUGE mistake (and many people do it believe me) and suffer catch up hairloss and your hair would fall out like crazy. Its now about maintaince and to be honest if you maintain what you have now at your early age for the rest of your life on finasteride you will be a very happy man indeed let me assure you! So right now dont think about improvement think about maintaince and stabilization, think of improvement as a bonus. Good luck bro :)

Jack82

Established Member
Reaction score
You have very fine hair and it makes it look more see through but you still have dense hair. I also think you caught it early, start finasteride and give it a full year before you dudge your progress and keep taking monthly photos in the same position lighting etc. If you are a responder it will gradually thicken up and you may get some regrowth and you will be ok with just finasteride for many years.

Good luck and keep updating with your progress!

chancer

Established Member
Reaction score
Metaldude said for you to stay on finasteride for life... but life isnt always that simple....

If in 5 or 10 years time you decide you and your partner want to have children... then you will have to quit finasteride...

hopefully by then we'll have stem cell technology nailed and we'll be able to go to HM clinics as easy and as regular as a visit to the dentist...

but im still not sure you need the meds... blonde hair is very very fine and very very little pigmentation... is you shaved your head to a bumber 1 guard you would seem way more scalp then somebody with darker hair simply becuase blonde hair is fine.... like thats already been said.... check out a natural blonde lass... they have the same crown exposure you have..., your hairline looked normal to me for blonde hair also..

metalheaddude

Reaction score
chancer said:
Metaldude said for you to stay on finasteride for life... but life isnt always that simple....

If in 5 or 10 years time you decide you and your partner want to have children... then you will have to quit finasteride...

hopefully by then we'll have stem cell technology nailed and we'll be able to go to HM clinics as easy and as regular as a visit to the dentist...

but im still not sure you need the meds... blonde hair is very very fine and very very little pigmentation... is you shaved your head to a bumber 1 guard you would seem way more scalp then somebody with darker hair simply becuase blonde hair is fine.... like thats already been said.... check out a natural blonde lass... they have the same crown exposure you have..., your hairline looked normal to me for blonde hair also..

Actually blondes are able to conceal their thinning for a much longer time than people with darker hair and paler skin, because the contrast between blonde hair and white scalp is much less than someone with darker hair. The same principle applies to people with dark hair and dark skin. The thinning hair is not as obvious. If this kid has black hair, his hair would look FAR worse.

In theory finasteride is for life. But like you I hope one day with further study and insight into hairloss a better alternative will be available in the next 20 years so we can finally get off the drug. I dont really want to be on it for life either, but I will if i have too. Especially if it means keeping what I left of my hair.

Kiem

Reaction score
I also started on finasteride when I was about 19-20 and stayed on for the last 9 years. No matter what anyone says I am very happy that I got on finasteride and I reccomend you do the same. I have just as much hair as you and for the last 9years finasteride has kept me at that level with a lil thinner in the front but alot noticebly better then my older brothers who never used any treaments. I never got erection problems but my labido did take a hit.

Reaction score
Good for you Kiem.

Is mixing finasteride and anti depressants a bad idea? Limp dick is not uncommon? :freak:

I'm going to my doctor tomorrow, and is it okay to say that I'm on Proscar when I didn't get it from her prescription, but ordered it online?

Please answer!

bubka

Reaction score
chancer said:
Where did you get this BS from? :roll: Finasteride is also a contraceptive? :jackit:

don't listen to metalhead, he just makes stuff up, you can miss a dose and be just fine