starting on finasteride at 0.5mg - can anyone see a problem here?

mark16v

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to start on 0.5 which should do almost as much as 1mg (I think) but hopefully with the chances of having less sides. I'm hoping this reduces any shedding, although this might be untrue.

I just want to ask generally if this seems like an alright idea. Maybe if it helps me, and I start shedding again I could go up to 1mg and keep things going well from there.

Any help, always much appreciated!!

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. At least your trying. If it was my I would take 1mg at first which is reccomended then if you have side effects cut back.

G

Taking 0.5mg will have no effect on the amount you shed when the finasteride kicks in. You may not shed at all, you may shed a shitload. It's luck of the draw, I'm afraid.

Taking 0.5mg will hopefully reduce any potential sides, however, I am confident you will not experience any unless you are very unlucky. It's roughly a 50- 1 shot that you will get any sides. Most will subside within 2 weeks of continued use.

mark16v

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks, and good quote. maybe 0.5mg is the way to go

if I shed a load i'll get some cover up, scream like a monkey, and hope it all gets better in a few weeks

jeffsss

Reaction score
I don't see how you people are seeing any sides at all.

the only thing I noticed was my forehead was a little more oily. No biggie.

imissmyhair

Reaction score
i am not the type of guy for freak out about little things but i believe when people talk about having sides beacuse i got them. 1mg propecia for a month and i very little ejaculation, harder to achieve erection, and a sort of "blurry thinking" state kinda like after u bump ur head on something (but without anypain) oh and also a ache behind my balls

im gona try lowering the dosage to .5mg then if that still affects me .25mg

Green Soap

Established Member
Reaction score
Absolutely no problem

I have been taking 1/6 proscar (so that's, what with some of it flaking away and whatnot somewhere around .6 a day) for many months now and I have noticed nothing but continued improvement and zero sides.

My libido has increased to normal. As in normal before I was taking 1.25 a day for many months.

You'll be fine and save money.

.22 mg is as effective as 1mg, it has been shown.

There will be naysayers but all I know is that my hair continues to shed and then improve.

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
Green Soap said:
Absolutely no problem

I have been taking 1/6 proscar (so that's, what with some of it flaking away and whatnot somewhere around .6 a day) for many months now and I have noticed nothing but continued improvement and zero sides.

My libido has increased to normal. As in normal before I was taking 1.25 a day for many months.

You'll be fine and save money.

.22 mg is as effective as 1mg, it has been shown.

There will be naysayers but all I know is that my hair continues to shed and then improve.

That .22 thing was only done in a small study and is rather controvercial. With the short half life of finasteride I see no reason to not take 1-1.25 mg if there are no sides.

As far as starting out .5mg may be a good way to go for the first month or so but I recommend increasing to the normal prescribed dosage because that is the most proven dosage.

mark16v

Established Member
Reaction score
short half life of finasteride??

proven at all?

thinking that if things were to start going bad after improvment I could up it to 1mg, or doesnt it wwork like that?

cheers

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Finasteride has a relatively short half-life of about 6 hours or so (give or take an hour), but that's not particularly relevant to anything...

Bryan

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I personally would start at 1mg, and then gradually reduce the amount over a three month period. You basically want your prostate to shrink as quickly as possible to start seeing real results, and then reduce the dosage to maintain that size, while reducing any side effects.