Starting new stuff...

markelbentley

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is what I am going to be doing starting around Monday. 0.5 mg of dutasteride (generic), spironolactone cream, Immortal's Top Three, Ozbrew, and Zix, + apple cider vinegar and cayenne, Nizoral 1%.

History: Losing hair since 18 (probably 17 or even 16) noticed at 18. Started minoxidil and used it off and on in some form (mostly 5%, but also Xandrox 15%- 1.5 bottles and 1 bottle of Ozbrew). Started Propecia at 20 and a half (now use Proscar and used dr. reddys for about 2-3 months). Ive used finasteride constinuously. Ive missed a few days here (10 days max) and there and took two months off of it from Nov-Jan. Im now turining 22. Hair is significantly less dense than 4 years ago and even 2 years ago. Hairline and temple receding. I want to use minoxidil again because i think i really need it for my temples and hairline, but it make my face look like crap. ive been looking into treatments to combat this (i started a thread 'minoxidil puffy face') and i guess i'll take green tea and apple cider vinegar with cayenne to maybe alleviate the puffiness symptoms. In a few months I will be seeing new thick hair all across the hairline, temples will be filling in, crown and sides will be become thicker and denser....only problem is that I wont know which one of the treatments is working....Wish me luck and ONLY POSITIVE RESPONSES or none at all...

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Sounds like a strong regimen. Have you considered topical spironolactone?

I'm sure you'll get results, my friend. Please give it the necessary amount of time before you change your regimen-- 6 to 12 months.

Best of luck.

markelbentley

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah, im going to include topical spironolactone. i ordered the 5% cream from minoxidil.com. Man, Dr. Lee is cleaning up on all of us here on HairLossTalk.com and HLH. $20 for a "consultation"?? Come on. Personally, Ive ordered two bottles of Xandrox 15 and now the spironolactone. Anyways, thanks for the positivity. I appreciate it.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions for you:

1) What is "Immortal's Top Three"?

2) Are you going to be using all of these treatments indefinitely? As in the rest of your life? Because if you start them all at the same time there is no way to tell which ones are working and which are dead weight.

3) What's with this: "ONLY POSITIVE RESPONSES or none at all..." If you don't want anyone to critique your regimen then why post it?

markelbentley

Established Member
Reaction score
1) Some guy posted about a bunch of natural supplements he has been taking. He claims to have stopped his hairloss. Here is his website: http://www.freewebs.com/immortalhair/ab ... alhair.htm

2) Well, Im already taking Finasteride regularly. I used to used minoxidil, so im just going to restart that. and zix and spironolactone are pretty easy to use. The natural supplements are beneficial holistically i believe. Basically, I am going to try out this regimen for about 6-8 months.

3) i dunno, i just wanted to let everyone know. maybe ill takesome pics and keep you guys updated.

I really dont know what im doing. Ive tried alot things off and on. The only thing ive really been consistent w/ is the finasteride. Unfortunately, my hair is much less dense than baseline. Intially, when i started, my temples and hairline were my only issues. Now, i just want to thicken up the crown and midscalp. Mind over matter is what im about now. so im starting this crazy regimen and I know its going to work to not only thicken my crown, but the ozbrew is going to kick start my temples and hairline. Actually i used the brew for 3 months from June to August of 2005 and i can honestly say that i things were thickening up significantly, even on the front. But i abruptly had to stop and a massive shed ensued which leaves to where i am today. I dunno if it was the stoppage of ozbrew that caused the shed or something else.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My recommendation for you would be to to stick with the finasteride, minoxidil 5%, and nizoral 1% or 2% for a year and stick with them consistently and diligently before you threw the kitchen sink and every fad that you hear about at it. Take it from someone that has been down your road before, switching regimens and throwing too much at your scalp at one time can have detrimental effects. Be diligent with the "big 3" for a year and I can almost guarantee results.

In case you don't believe me, you can check out the results I got on my crown on my site here

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Whoa, not me! Your final results are good, man.

I had no clue you had a transplant.

That final pick you made is great. I understand you're going back to college? Do any of the kids notice you had a transplant? Do you think about it in class?

I ask because I myself would like to get back into school this summer... I want to live in the dorms so bad. It's not a problem financially. It's a problem psychologically.

I just don't want to miss out on living my youth to the fullest.

Did you feel that way?

markelbentley

Established Member
Reaction score
ive been on finasteride for 20 months...but havent really been consistent with the minoxidil. Ive had adverse reactions to the minoxidil (puffy face, bags undereyes).

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've been in college the whole time, my man. During both transplants. I had one in June of 2004 and just wore a cap in class to cover it up until it grew in and I just had another one on Feb. 3rd. Noone ever suspected a thing. I'm not advocating surgery, though. It's something to really research and think about first.

Don't let a thing like hairloss get in your way of going back to school. Before I had anything done I was a NW4 and I just wore a ballcap all the time. Ballcaps don't look out of place on campus - everyone has them. I've only had one professor that didn't like people wearing ballcaps in class the whole time I've been in college and I just told him the first day of class that I wore it because I had a spot of melanoma removed from my scalp. He never said another thing to me. :lol:

Hair shouldn't be the reason for not going back to school. You'll only be putting your life on hold for nothing.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
markelbentley said:
ive been on finasteride for 20 months...

Regrowth with finasteride isn't really to be expected. It really is more of a maintenance drug. You can expect regrowth from minoxidil if you are diligent in applying it twice a day for a year.

markelbentley

Established Member
Reaction score
The reason i want to switch to dutasteride is that finasteride hasnt really helped me maintain what i had.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ah, my apologies. I was more referring to the all the other stuff than the dutasteride. No, I won't try to talk you out of Avodart, I've been on it for around 17 months now. My opinion of it thus far is that someone can take my Avodart from me when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers. :lol:

Good luck, man.