Starting Minoxidil And Finasteride Together?

celso217

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm turning 21 soon and have experienced rapid recession in my hairline recently. I have experienced a lot of hair loss in the past 6 months (probably going from a NW1 to a Norwood 1.5-2). I went to the dermatologist today, and I was looking forward to asking him a lot of questions about finasteride and minoxidil. However, he seemed disinterested in me and maybe just wrote me off as another hair loss case that he could treat with a finasteride prescription. This doctor didn't even explain to me the side effects of finasteride. He just wrote me a prescription and told me to start finasteride and minoxidil asap. I took my first finasteride pill today 11/20/17, but I'm a little nervous of starting both of them at the same time. I'm pretty terrified of the combined shed to be honest. the doctor told me the initial shedding phase is 90 days. I'm at a NW1.5 (hairline is basically v shaped now) and it doesn't look awful but the hairs on my hairline are so thin that they fall out as soon as I try and style/wash my hair. I'm not sure if having these vellus hairs will lead to a greater shed (my hair loss is only located on the hairline, crown is fine). However, I don't know if I'm missing out on potential by not starting minoxidil right away. I still have miniaturized hairs down until my juvenile hairline so I might be able to have some good results if i start now. I ordered some kirkland foam and liquid along with some toppik. Do you guys think I should just ride out this initial shed or wait to start minoxidil? Maybe I should wait for my hair to thicken up a little bit before starting the minoxidil?

Also: I'm a college student and my next semester starts in 9 weeks. Should i expect to be pretty below baseline when the next semester starts? This would be pretty hard to deal with.

pollutionbrain

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im not sure if minoxidil has any effect on the balding process but commonly people think it doesn´t, instead it only regrows hair. Therefore if u decide to take propecia first and later add minoxidil it shouldn´t change the results u eventually would end up with.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah. A well reversed regimen tends to be; take finasteride for 6 months then add minoxidil. That way, you know which product is doing what.

celso217

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah. A well reversed regimen tends to be; take finasteride for 6 months then add minoxidil. That way, you know which product is doing what.

Thanks for the help I'll probably hold off on starting the minoxidil. Just a quick question about minoxidil usage, when I do start should i apply it to and below my hairline where i still have vellus hairs or should i also apply it a little bit above my hairline as well?

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No worries. Not started it yet either. Just wherever you want to target. Finasteride will be doing the heavy work and will hopefully thicken these hairs by itself.